2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 08-28-2014, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Darksiders

Hey wondering if anyone here knows anyone who Darksides? For those who don't know Darksiding is the practice of riding with car tires on the bike (usually in the rear), its popular with tourers, mainly goldwingers. Supposedly they see increased tire longevity as well as better wet weather traction...

Tales From the Dark Side: Putting Car Tires on Motorcycles | Rider Magazine
No Fixed Abode: The dark side of unintended consequences. | The Truth About Cars

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-28-2014, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
It sounds like there are merits to the practice.

Quote:
With many GoldWing tires lasting just 10,000 miles compared to the 30,000 or more from automotive tires that cost half as much to begin with, plus some additional fuel mileage, the economics of it make obvious sense. Wet-weather traction is also greatly improved, according to the reports of many Darksiders.
I think that it makes most sense if you ride very frequently for long distances. It seems like the main benefit is having tires that last longer than standard motorcycle tires.
post #3 of 17 Old 08-28-2014, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
^ you don't say

post #4 of 17 Old 08-29-2014, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
Tire manufacturers design tires for specific applications and I would not use a tire that isn't designed for motorcycles on a motorcycle for everyday use. It might work for a show bike but for everyday riding I want a tire designed for that purpose.

By way of example a car tire is not designed to ride on it's edge but a motorcycle tire is designed to do that.

Always remember that for every mile of highway there are two miles of ditches.
post #5 of 17 Old 08-29-2014, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneFree View Post
Tire manufacturers design tires for specific applications and I would not use a tire that isn't designed for motorcycles on a motorcycle for everyday use. It might work for a show bike but for everyday riding I want a tire designed for that purpose.

By way of example a car tire is not designed to ride on it's edge but a motorcycle tire is designed to do that.
Indeed, but it seems most of the guys doing this aren't chasing chicken strips anyways. Whens the last time you saw a big bagger over on its edges

The justification seems to be most miles are being layed down in flat steady state conditions...
post #6 of 17 Old 08-29-2014, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Quote:

I completely agree with you. I think that you should use tires that are made for motorcycles on motorcycles.

Is there any risk of warranty of insurance being affected because you are using improper tires?
post #7 of 17 Old 08-30-2014, 02:40 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Testiphony View Post
I completely agree with you. I think that you should use tires that are made for motorcycles on motorcycles.

Is there any risk of warranty of insurance being affected because you are using improper tires?

While never litigated to my knowledge I believe there could be a huge liability issue for an owner that put car tires on a motorcycle. Imagine this situation.

A person uses car tires that don't have the rounded edges that motorcycle tires have for cornering and, riding with a passenger, they lose it in a turn due to a lack of tire contact and the passenger dies. They could potentially be found liable in both a civil and possibly in a criminal complaint based upon gross negligence in the death of the passenger. From a criminal standpoint it could very well be considered involutary manslaughter due to gross negligence.

As I said I simply wouldn't do it because it's unsafe. Car tires are not designed to corner like motorcycle tires.

post #8 of 17 Old 08-30-2014, 02:56 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin On View Post
Indeed, but it seems most of the guys doing this aren't chasing chicken strips anyways. Whens the last time you saw a big bagger over on its edges

The justification seems to be most miles are being layed down in flat steady state conditions...

The last group ride I went on had three Harley cruises end up off the road. It happens more often than people seem to know.

There is absolutely no advantage to a car tire on long highway runs. Yes, a car tire will probably wear longer because they're made from a much harder compound but with that comes a lack of road adhesion that is critical for a motorcycle.

Simple conclusion. People that do this are stupid IMHO.

bbally and AYEDEE like this.

post #9 of 17 Old 08-30-2014, 08:37 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Quote:
The last group ride I went on had three Harley cruises end up off the road. It happens more often than people seem to know.

There is absolutely no advantage to a car tire on long highway runs. Yes, a car tire will probably wear longer because they're made from a much harder compound but with that comes a lack of road adhesion that is critical for a motorcycle.

Simple conclusion. People that do this are stupid IMHO.
I totally agree. One should respect the science behind the design of every machine. Although there is always scope for improvement and modifications, the basic design parameters should not be ignored.
post #10 of 17 Old 09-01-2014, 03:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
I'm a dark sider. I wouldn't consider it for my Street, though. Yes mileage can be quadrupled. For big cruising bikes just under inflate to the "sweet spot pressure."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin On View Post
Hey wondering if anyone here knows anyone who Darksides? For those who don't know Darksiding is the practice of riding with car tires on the bike (usually in the rear), its popular with tourers, mainly goldwingers. Supposedly they see increased tire longevity as well as better wet weather traction...

Tales From the Dark Side: Putting Car Tires on Motorcycles | Rider Magazine
No Fixed Abode: The dark side of unintended consequences. | The Truth About Cars

Going to the Darkside with a KUMHO RF on a GL1800 Goldwing - YouTube

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page