LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 08-15-2015, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Any gear junkies here?

If so...what are you wearing, what are you ordering soon, what have you bought in the past that you wish you hadn't?

Icon 1000 Truant Boots, Klim K Fifty 1 Jeans, LS2 FF396 CR1 Helmet, Harley Davidson Willie G Skull Leather Jacket, cheap Joe Rocket Gloves.

I plan on getting the D3O back protector insert as well as their elbow and shoulder inserts for my jacket. Might get a "better" helmet soon and also I was thinking of grabbing either the REV'IT Mantra H2O Gloves or REV'IT RSR 2 Gloves.

Want to get the ROKKER Riding Chinos and looking at over pants as well.

"Zed's dead baby, Zed's dead."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 08-15-2015, 09:33 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
let me see.

I have a tour master mesh riding jacket with armor, an old school heavy leather motorcycle riding jacket, a tourmaster touring winter riding jacket, frog tog rain suit, couple of Harley T-shirts "with pockets", an orange and black Harley sleeveless collared shop shirt, orange and black Harley baseball cap, three different types of riding boots, three different pairs of hiking boots I ride with, tactical boots I ride with sometimes, about 8 pair of all different types of gloves, from warm weather to cold weather, some with armor.

mostly ride in jeans.
rarely ever ride in short pants, cargo pants or cut off jeans.
and never ride in flip flops!

have several types of helmets

right now I cant think of anything as far as apparel or riding accessories, that I want or need.

but I'm sure i'll think of something later
DaddyDevilKing likes this.
post #3 of 22 Old 08-15-2015, 09:53 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
I'm more of a vintage helmet junkie. I'd like to find a nice vintage jacket but never seem to find anything that fits my style at a reasonable price.

My favorite new gear would be my Power Trip leather jacket. I've had it for about 5 years now. It's amazing, except with this seasons ridiculous heat. First year I've broke my gear all the time motto.

Biggest gear regret is my Teknic boots. A few years old, but for all purposes brand new as I only rode them for rides and never as walk around shoes. Soles have separated and the plastic shoe lace catch broke within months. Such a waste of money. Soles still look brand new.

The text above is my opinion. Feel free to ignore it. I do.

post #4 of 22 Old 08-15-2015, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Note to self: don't buy Teknic boots lol. Thanks for the tip. Vintage helmets are cool, but are they safe? I was under the impression that the glue and styrofoam etc. breaks down after a couple years and is no longer "as safe" is this the case or just a myth?

post #5 of 22 Old 08-15-2015, 11:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyDevilKing View Post
Note to self: don't buy Teknic boots lol. Thanks for the tip. Vintage helmets are cool, but are they safe? I was under the impression that the glue and styrofoam etc. breaks down after a couple years and is no longer "as safe" is this the case or just a myth?
I can't tell you factually, but I am going to assume that todays regulations and helmets would indeed be safer. I imagine any of my new helmets (KBC, Shoei, Scorpion) would fair better in a crash than my old ones. That said, one is a 3/4 lid that everyone is trying to repop these days but they don't have the same shape as the old ones and I like the originals far better. The inner protective foam portion in all three of my old helmets (two early 70's one early 80's) is solid with no visible damage or degrading. The cushion foam which serves no protection is broken down in two of them heavily and not so bad in the other. I will replace the cushion foam and line it with a fabric of my choice then glue it in place like the factory would have then install it back in the helmet.

I trust them more than I would a brain bucket or these novelty and knock off full face helmets that are running rampant. All three were DOT and ANSI approved helmets.

post #6 of 22 Old 08-16-2015, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesskelter View Post
I'm more of a vintage helmet junkie. I'd like to find a nice vintage jacket but never seem to find anything that fits my style at a reasonable price.

My favorite new gear would be my Power Trip leather jacket. I've had it for about 5 years now. It's amazing, except with this seasons ridiculous heat. First year I've broke my gear all the time motto.

Biggest gear regret is my Teknic boots. A few years old, but for all purposes brand new as I only rode them for rides and never as walk around shoes. Soles have separated and the plastic shoe lace catch broke within months. Such a waste of money. Soles still look brand new.

cant think of any purchase regrets, yet!

Allstate Leather Inc. Men?s Black Buffalo Leather Motorcycle Jacket | 724-764 | J&P Cycles

this is an old school style jacket like one of mine.
don't know about this jacket, but mine is the heavy buffalo leather.
post #7 of 22 Old 08-16-2015, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
There is a new pant from Rokker, the ones that made the revolutions (waterproof MC jeans), they are 100% Schoeller-Dynatec with armor pockets and designed to look like chinos. Great for commuting to work without having to change when you get there. Only come in black though and my boots are brown so I'll have to wait until they make a tan version. These have an abrasion rating of 4-5 seconds at 65mph! Anybody own Rokker gear? How is it?

post #8 of 22 Old 08-16-2015, 02:15 PM

Garage
Good news for you, they have a sand colored chino, bad news, they don't ship to the US and they're about $450.

There was a company in Europe called Maple Motorcycle Jeans, but they seem to have gone under. They had kevlar entirely through the hips and the thighs unlike dragging jeans. They touted a lifetime warranty as well, but if the company goes under that's about useless.

Rock270 - That's not my style. I'm looking for less of the Fonz and a lot more 70's Europe motorcyclist.

post #9 of 22 Old 08-16-2015, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Good news for you, they have a sand colored chino, bad news, they don't ship to the US and they're about $450.

There was a company in Europe called Maple Motorcycle Jeans, but they seem to have gone under. They had kevlar entirely through the hips and the thighs unlike dragging jeans. They touted a lifetime warranty as well, but if the company goes under that's about useless.

Rock270 - That's not my style. I'm looking for less of the Fonz and a lot more 70's Europe motorcyclist.
Awesome, nice work! I found that Powerplantchoppers in California sells them! Sweeeet! I think I'm gonna buy em!

post #10 of 22 Old 08-16-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:

fonz look?...I had one of these way before the fonz ever showed up

I also remember that design was quite popular back in the 50's and 60's.
in movies, motorcycle cops, shoot, even marlon brando if I remember correctly... to each his own, personally I like u.s. nostalgia.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page