Old 03-27-2016, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Decent Modular Helmet

Anyone care to share their's?

I'm looking for one that is bluetooth/or BT ready, and also something I can communicate with my wife with when she's on her bike….I don't know if they make anything like that. I know they have the ones for big bikes that plug in….would be nice to have a system where you can use bluetooth as well as talk with a rider, wirelessly, next to you…..that way I can let my wife know of dangers or whatever…..

Current rides:

2016 Softail Slim S Olive Gold Denim

2016 Street 750 Vivid Black

1998 Honda Aero Black/Silver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2016, 02:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Garage
HJC Symax3

I have just purchased the HJC Symax3 with the chatterbox bluetooth system. It is comparable to modulars they make for Harley, but HD doesn't have Silver, which for some reason, I have come to prefer. Can't imagine a how hot a black helmet would become and can't quite see getting a white helmet either.
My previous helmet was a Bell Evo Modular, which was not set up for bluetooth.
Getting the Chatterbox to work was very frustrating for me. It has a nice little pocket for the unit to snap into and thus have a little lower profile on the side of the helmet, but the electrical contacts didn't seem to want to meet up. After multiple attempts and almost giving up to send the thing back, it started to make enough connection to work. I broke one of two buttons that operate the parts that click it into the helmet. The Chatterbox feels very light and cheaply made with cheap flimsy plastic, which is kind of disappointing on something that cost $180.
Haven't gotten to ride with it yet, but the volume seems good.
The mic seems to get in the way when I bring the chin down, but with time will get it put in the right place I guess.
Now, for the Helmet. I like it overall. The mechanics of raising and lower chin are good. The internal visor seems great. Can't comment on ventilation yet.
The D-rings for the chin strap are too close to the helmet would have driven me nuts. I added a RydeWear quick release chin strap buckle, so my fat fingers will be able to hook the chin strap while I have gloves on.
The cheek pads fit just right for wearing Sunglasses with the helmet, if you don't want to use the internal sunshield, or if you wear eyeglasses, as I do. (My old Bell did not allow any kind of glasses, which meant I always had to put my contact lenses in to ride.(I know, poor me))
The chin is a little close to my chin. I also bought their chin curtain and am not sure I will ever use it. With the chin curtain on, I really seem to have trouble negotiating the mic when I bring the chin down. And the chin curtain is just mesh. I guess it will keep some rocks and bugs out, but I ride a lot in cooler weather, just cause I always want to seem to ride. Will keep face warm with scarves, neck warmers and bandanas, I guess.
Anyway, I ramble. I will use the helmet for a while, anyway. Am glad I went to several stores to try on multiple helmets, cause the fit, weight, vision all seem good with this helmet.
Hellbilly likes this.

Not all those who wander are lost.
Old 03-27-2016, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I wear a bell mag 9 with Sena Bluetooth, it paired up with my phone pretty easy, and the helmet has a few different ways it can be configured. I also noticed they have a video/Bluetooth attachment that also fits.
Hellbilly likes this.

Old 03-27-2016, 08:16 PM

Garage
I ordered a shark Evoline 3 modular helmet about the same time I purchased my 750. I originally had a Shoei half helmet that I used with my previous scooter. I was looking at the Shuberth line of helmets because of their Bluetooth connectivity. The C-3 Pro ran about seven to eight hundred dollars before you start adding the Bluetooth system, running you up to a grand total near $1000. Way too pricey for my tastes. The M1 Shuberth is a full face with all kinds of customization. At around $550 for the helmet, and another $250 for the Bluetooth that's around the $800 mark, still too pricey. So I decided to go with the plane old quality modular with the add-on Bluetooth. I settled on the shark because of the unique modular feature in that you can ride with the chin bar up behind the helmet. All the others recommend against doing that, but shark engineered one where it locks in back behind your helmet. That way you could ride as an open face, or fullface. The shark Evoline also has its own Bluetooth system, but I opted for the Sena SMH 10. One of the reasons was the external battery for the Sena fits perfectly where the battery for the sharktooth goes. One last gadget glued to the outside of your helmet. I bought the helmet on closeout for a little over $300 and got the Sena for around $150. I now have it connected to my iPhone, and my Zumo, I can make calls, get directions, and listen to my music. It took a while to break the helmet in but now it fits just perfect. There are many ways to do it and it is mainly a personal thing. Check all the sites where they sell helmets, read the reviews and the questions and answers. Revzilla is a good place to go shopping.
Hellbilly likes this.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:15 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Garage
mine is branded LS2. i bought it from MotoWorld, which is a chain store found in just about every shopping mall here in Philippines. it doesn't feel as sturdy as DOT-stickered helmets i used when riding in USA, but here in Philippines i rarely ever go faster than 120km/h (75mph) on the freeway; has more of a dirt-bike helmet feel to it

i bought the LS2 because it was the only modular that was in my size (big) that MotoWorld carried. got a discount because i also bought the Givi trunk along with it (seen in this picture)

by the way, the helmet does easily fit inside the trunk, with just enough room to squeeze rain and reflective gear

edit: helmet and trunk barely cost $100 each
Hellbilly likes this.

2008 VRSCDA, locked in storage
2015 XG750 made in India
both Vivid Black
Honda Wave125 daily scooter

Last edited by CHIMICHANGATIME; 03-28-2016 at 12:18 AM. Reason: added price
Old 03-28-2016, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Right now...I'm leaning toward the LS2 or Bell....there's a site, Extreme Supply, The Original street and off-road motorcycle products and accessories that's local and they have some good deals. Thanks for the input fellas!!!!

Current rides:

Old 03-28-2016, 05:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIMICHANGATIME View Post
mine is branded LS2. i bought it from MotoWorld, which is a chain store found in just about every shopping mall here in Philippines. it doesn't feel as sturdy as DOT-stickered helmets i used when riding in USA, but here in Philippines i rarely ever go faster than 120km/h (75mph) on the freeway; has more of a dirt-bike helmet feel to it

i bought the LS2 because it was the only modular that was in my size (big) that MotoWorld carried. got a discount because i also bought the Givi trunk along with it (seen in this picture)

by the way, the helmet does easily fit inside the trunk, with just enough room to squeeze rain and reflective gear

edit: helmet and trunk barely cost $100 each
For some reason that bike just doesn't look right with that huge trunk stick on the back. Sorry, just my opinion.
Rick Starr likes this.

I hate autocorrect. I always end up posting some thong I didn't Nintendo.

2015 XG750 Street - Denim Black (Sold)
2010 Suzuki C50T
2007 Kawasaki KLXs (Sold in 2010)
Old 03-29-2016, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-64 View Post
For some reason that bike just doesn't look right with that huge trunk stick on the back. Sorry, just my opinion.
The smoke looks good though...
Old 03-30-2016, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I use the CL max 2 by HJC. It was pretty inexpensive. One of the local dealers by my house had the helmet on sale for $100. It's my first helmet so I am not sure how to compare noise levels to other helmets but it is comfortable and comes with a compartment on the side of the helmet for Bluetooth. I have the matte black with the dark smoke shield and removed all the logos. Looks pretty nice with the blacked out look of the XG!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1459382881277.jpg (258.8 KB, 31 views)
Hellbilly likes this.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Wen with the LS2 Strobe...so far...I'm liking it....

Current rides: