18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 06-03-2014, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Bucket Talk

Open Faces or 3/4's seem to be the rage for the typical bandanna men, but I like to think we're all a bit smarter than that You can protect yourself and still keep an old school flair that fits with your ride.

I've been looking at a couple of retro styled helmets that would fit with the street perfectly. Both full face.

Bell Bullit

Biltwell Gringo

The Gringo comes without a visor and you will have to purchase a snap on one from Biltwell or simply go goggles...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 06-03-2014, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
I check helmet ratings as well as look and style.
One thing I've always remembered that my father told me 40 years ago...
"If you feel you have a $5 head, then buy a $5 helmet".
Staying alive is another way of looking cool.

"Anybody can buy a bike and go fast nowadays, but there's a lot more in it and more enjoyable developing a slow machine to Go Fast" - Burt Munro 1970
post #3 of 24 Old 06-03-2014, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Look at that diagram of impact distribution. Look at the percentage of hits to the chin bar compared to other parts of the helmet. If that doesn't convince someone to wear a full face helmet, I don't know what will. I did a face plant during a pretty high speed crash and I can still vividly remember scraping down the pavement face down on the helmet chin bar as it shoveled heaps of gravel into the helmet and in my face. Without that chin bar I would have been horribly disfigured, maybe dead. Instead I had some broken ribs and nothing else, the Aerostich suit, gloves and boots prevented any road rash.
Livin On and Sherri like this.

I live in a parallel universe but have a vacation home in reality.

post #4 of 24 Old 06-03-2014, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Indians need to see the diagram who drive without Helmets all the time.
Epijay likes this.
post #5 of 24 Old 06-03-2014, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gears View Post
I check helmet ratings as well as look and style.
One thing I've always remembered that my father told me 40 years ago...
"If you feel you have a $5 head, then buy a $5 helmet".
Staying alive is another way of looking cool.
That is so true.
How I see it, we spend THOUSANDS on our bikes just to buy them, we should at least factor in the cost of a great helmet into that as it should be well protected. Can't put a price on your safety.

post #6 of 24 Old 06-03-2014, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puneet View Post
Indians need to see the diagram who drive without Helmets all the time.
Indians? Half the states in the US don't have helmet laws. When I'm on travel in states without a helmet law and see riders riding down the freeway without a helmet it makes me swallow hard. One mistake and you are dead. I have what might be news to some; we're humans and won't stop making mistakes until the day we die. Hopefully it isn't one of these mistakes that sends you to the grave. Enjoy riding, but use your intelligence and manage risks accordingly folks.
Livin On, Puneet and Epijay like this.

I live in a parallel universe but have a vacation home in reality.
post #7 of 24 Old 06-03-2014, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Don't wear one, never have, never will.

I am supportive of anyone that wants to ride with any safety equipment they wish. But I feel the rider should decide.

I know the risks, I accept them. After 35 years now I still know it could happen tomorrow and work diligently to make sure I see it and avoid it. But I know it may happen and accept that as a risk of what I do.

I spend a lot of money with AMA PAC to keep my choices open, because the way I see it, it starts with helmets and ends with the outlawing of motorcycles because cars are way safer if you get in an accident.

And yes it was tried, while it singled out a particular type of motorbike, it still was the start, cost a lot of money from those of us that write checks for AMA PAC to lobby and beat the sportbike ban... but it was worth it so people make the choice not the government. Same when we spent millions fighting the insurance groups both medical insurance and driver insurance over their idea they could say what could be driven and what could be covered.

Once you decide your thoughts are correct for everyone else, you begin a slide on a slippery slope that closes the door in the end on everyone.
Livin On and Sherri like this.

USMC '79-'85 Sgt.
1st Mar Div, 1st FSSG Det A in the Stumps
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
PGR Rider

2016 FLTRXS
2015 XG 750
2003 VRSCA

1982 GS1100GK
post #8 of 24 Old 06-03-2014, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyhoonigan View Post
Can't put a price on your safety.
So you are saying you should ride in a car or truck always?

Do you admit you can accept certain risks to your safety for the pursuit of something you love to do?

Yours may be a different level then mine, but you have accepted something less safe as a mode of transport than the safer options you could choose that are available to you.

You will put your head in a plastic padded bowl costing $600 when you could put it in a $15K car and be safer. Isn't you head worth $15K or just $600?

I don't need this answered, I am just saying we all accept different risk levels. You just accepted way more risk than a car driver.

What if that became the rallying cry? "Drive a car and stay alive"? Would you support that, the statistics certainly show you are less likely to die if in crash in a motor car or truck.
Livin On likes this.

USMC '79-'85 Sgt.
PGR Rider

2016 FLTRXS
2015 XG 750
2003 VRSCA

1982 GS1100GK
post #9 of 24 Old 06-03-2014, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbally View Post
So you are saying you should ride in a car or truck always?

Do you admit you can accept certain risks to your safety for the pursuit of something you love to do?

Yours may be a different level then mine, but you have accepted something less safe as a mode of transport than the safer options you could choose that are available to you.

You will put your head in a plastic padded bowl costing $600 when you could put it in a $15K car and be safer. Isn't you head worth $15K or just $600?

I don't need this answered, I am just saying we all accept different risk levels. You just accepted way more risk that a car driver.

What if that became the rallying cry? "Drive a car and stay alive"? Would you support that, the statistics certainly show you are less likely to die if in a motor vehicle.
completely understood both of your posts. I wear a bucket because I want to, you don't because you don't want to... Isn't that what this is all about the freedom to make choices accordingly?

It makes me cringe when people feel it is necessary to protect people from the risks they wish to expose themselves to... again isn't that freedom of choice
Sherri and Epijay like this.
post #10 of 24 Old 06-03-2014, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin On View Post
completely understood both of your posts. I wear a bucket because I want to, you don't because you don't want to... Isn't that what this is all about the freedom to make choices accordingly?

It makes me cringe when people feel it is necessary to protect people from the risks they wish to expose themselves to... again isn't that freedom of choice
Totally agree. I still cringe when I think of the money we had to raise and spend to beat back the Sport Bike ban... then less than a year later the NTSB (not in any official way I could prove) got the idea the insurance companies could make their wishes come true. Another round, though not as expensive as the sport bike ban lobbying was......

Temperance Unions of any kind scare the crap out of me.
Sherri likes this.

USMC '79-'85 Sgt.
PGR Rider

2016 FLTRXS
2015 XG 750
2003 VRSCA

1982 GS1100GK

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page