First Aid Kit... inventory and reorder time - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

3Likes
  • 2 Post By bbally
  • 1 Post By Testiphony

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2014, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
First Aid Kit... inventory and reorder time

I am little more than a month out before I start the Road Captain first aid training program. These first two are basic CPR, Blood Borne Pathogens, and First Aid. Like to inventory the Kit I carry before starting the program.

This course is a prerequisite before we do the Wilderness First Responder Training in June. That training is three days and fairly intense compared to this training, but well worth it if you ride a lot in remote areas IMO.

So this is my base kit:

I don't bother to pull out the sutures, bandaids, and tapes because once opened they are no longer sterile so just a simple expiration date check is all they go through.

I like to make sure my micro shields are in good condition. I have to replace them about every 6 years.

I test the blood pressure cup and the stethoscope to make sure it has not got damaged from riding along on the bike all spring, summer, and fall.

Look over my Sam Splints both finger splints and arm leg splint are in proper order. Make sure the evacuation bulb is still sealed and flexible. About every 10 years I replace it.

Super bright LED flashlight, Scissors and a tweezers are in the kit. I have hemostats as well, but they are the suture combo unit in sterile packaging so I keep the scissors so I don't have to violate the sterile seal for a simple bandage dressing.

I like a wide variety of tapes, gauzes, and square bandages in the kit as well. Let me deal with a lot of crap cheap.

Sterile solutions, cold packs, and non-sticking bandages are a must. I noticed both my 6 inch and 4 inch Israeli Bandages have gone out of date. Those are on order from Amazon and should be here in a week.

I get a lot of crap for carrying this from the guys, but I have had to use it four times in my life, two times where full air medical evacuation was required, where I was not riding with the wreck I rode up on.... I mean to tell you people are extremely happy when you know what you are doing to help the person laying there bleeding out of their ears or eyes, with an arm or leg folded the wrong way.

Though you don't get your stuff replaced.... you have to just be happy with the fact you helped. Though my local EMTs take care of my kit if I am taking the courses with them instead of teaching it.

If you do not have at the very least Red Cross first aid and CPR training consider finding a place to take it this winter. You will be very happy you have the knowledge if you ever come upon a wreck and no one knows what to do.... just clearing the airway can be the difference between someone surviving and dying.

I will do a follow on thread in the spring when I do the Road Captain First Responder class. I put it together in 1978 and have been doing it ever since, but it has gotten a lot better since I became a wilderness first responder certified 16 years ago.

If any of you are in the Southwest Wyoming, Western Colorado, eastern Utah, North New Mexico, North Arizona areas and want to have the class training schedule please PM you email address and I will get you on the list. First Aid, CPR and Blood Borne Pathogen is fairly cheap. The spring class on First Response is $350.00 just so you know and it will take three days two of which are responding to accidents we have set up on the side of the road for you to roll onto and practice. (We now let 911 know what we are doing.... don't ask why!!!)
StoneFree and AYEDEE like this.

USMC '79-'85 Sgt.
1st Mar Div, 1st FSSG Det A in the Stumps
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
PGR Rider

2016 FLTRXS
2015 XG 750
2003 VRSCA

1982 GS1100GK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2014, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
As a long time motorcycle rider I've never even required a bandaid in over 45 years so I don't carry any first aid supplies. LOL My rule of thumb is "Don't hurt yourself when riding." Not to disparage the needs of a "Road Captain" that has to deal with those that don't follow my rule of thumb.

Always remember that for every mile of highway there are two miles of ditches.
Old 11-15-2014, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
For the wilderness first responder training what kinda stuff are they going to put you through? It sounds like that could be a pretty fun adventure.
StoneFree likes this.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Testiphony View Post
For the wilderness first responder training what kinda stuff are they going to put you through? It sounds like that could be a pretty fun adventure.
Canyon fall... simulated with recovery of a real person.

Broken legs in back country, simulated with carry out to medevac area.

Several unknown injuries on hiking trails where you come up on the person and have to get them to respond and treat accordingly.

One river rescue, with one rescue and one simulated recovery that is a possible rescue, never know til the event.

Lots of practice stations in camp for the 7 days. So people set up as victims and you rotate through to assess, prepare, treat, report and evacuate.

Lots of the younger ones stay at the camp in tents. At 54 I have a god given right to run as much hot water over my body at the end of a day as I can........ so hotel for me.

USMC '79-'85 Sgt.
1st Mar Div, 1st FSSG Det A in the Stumps
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
PGR Rider

2016 FLTRXS
2015 XG 750
2003 VRSCA

1982 GS1100GK