What gear do you wear in heat? - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 06-29-2015, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
What gear do you wear in heat?

I've heard a couple different sayings.

ATGATT: All The Gear All The Time

And "dress for the slide, not the ride".

On the surface I like the idea of being safe and always wearing all the gear. But when it's 90F or more, do you still wear the leather jacket, gloves and jeans? Or do you have warm weather gear? If so, what do you wear?

I'm looking for ideas. I moved from MN to CA. MN had what my friend called a "Choose your own adventure" law. Meaning no helmets required. I always wore mine anyway. CA of course has helmet laws so I still wear it.

Today was fairly warm so I left my leather jacket at home and squidded it up all the way to work with bare arms. I ride in stop and go traffic so there are times with not much air flow to get through my jacket.

Anyway, I'm curious what everyone wears in the heat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 06-29-2015, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
If there's a change I'm going to be on a highway, it's always ATGATT, no matter what the weather. Includes Rev'It jeans, armored jacket (leather or textile), gloves, full face helmet.

If I'm just jetting up the road, I'll probably skimp on some of the gear, but I'm always covered. 12 oz. jeans, 12 oz denim jacket, gloves, full face helmet.

www.youtube.com/howlonwheels
Motorcycle Film Festival
1973 CB500 Four
2015 HD Street 750
post #3 of 30 Old 06-29-2015, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlOnWheels View Post
If there's a change I'm going to be on a highway, it's always ATGATT, no matter what the weather. Includes Rev'It jeans, armored jacket (leather or textile), gloves, full face helmet.

If I'm just jetting up the road, I'll probably skimp on some of the gear, but I'm always covered. 12 oz. jeans, 12 oz denim jacket, gloves, full face helmet.
A lighter jacket is a great idea. That's sort of what I am thinking I'm going to invest in. My leather jacket has armor in it also. And I always wear a full face helmet.

post #4 of 30 Old 06-29-2015, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
If it's for highway riding, there are a bunch of good textiles that also accept armor. I use the RSD Vandal jacket which accepts the forcefield armor in the elbows, shoulders, and back. It's still heavy and hot, but less so than my Schott or RSD Clash jackets.

www.youtube.com/howlonwheels
Motorcycle Film Festival
1973 CB500 Four
2015 HD Street 750
post #5 of 30 Old 06-29-2015, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
I'm looking more for in town riding. On the freeway, I use my leather. It's perforated and has a removable liner. At freeway speeds I get enough airflow that I don't get too hot.
post #6 of 30 Old 06-29-2015, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
when I ride slow around town, I don't wear my armored mesh tourmaster riding jacket.

I always wear a helmet, blue jeans, over ankle boots.
rarely wear gloves though unless its really cold.

at night when its cooler, then i'll wear my armored mesh jacket mainly because it has reflective piping all over it.

now days I rarely get on the interstate/ freeway and drive 70, mostly 50-60 mph around the local farm to market back roads.

many years ago I had a severe case of road rash, I wouldn't wish that on anyone...ever!.....better to be safe for the conditions you ride in.

i'd suggest looking at the tourmaster website and choose a mesh armored riding jacket to ride on the interstate in the heat.
Irie likes this.
post #7 of 30 Old 06-29-2015, 09:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Garage
Silver Mesh Jacket

Have been wearing Firstgear Mesh Tex jacket all winter with liner in place and coats under it. Summer and Heat tested it 10 days ago in the desert in SouthWest Colorado. When I stopped at a light in Delta, Colorado I was surprised when the bank time and temperature sign said 104 degrees. Didn't feel like much more than 90 in the jacket. Decided, I should probably stop and drink some water.
Seriously, I do appreciate the lighter color when stopped at lights and that my arms are in the shade. The advertising for the jacket on motorcycle superstore describes it as lightweight, but I don't. Its heavy, but designed to burn and melt and absorb the heat from friction in a slide, which I am happy to let it do. This summer I have removed the back padding, as it is just a perforated sheet of moderately dense foam, which doesn't seem like it would add much protection, but definitely adds to the insulation and heat. I have honestly considered having two of these jackets, in slightly different sizes to accommodate different amounts of layering. But like more variety than that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-firstgear-mesh-tex-jacket-silver-black-mcss.jpg (7.4 KB, 204 views)
Rock270 and Bugtussle750 like this.

Not all those who wander are lost.
post #8 of 30 Old 06-30-2015, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock270 View Post
when I ride slow around town, I don't wear my armored mesh tourmaster riding jacke
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO WanderZest View Post

Have been wearing Firstgear Mesh Tex jacket all winter with liner in place and coats under it.
Thank you both for these suggestions. This is exactly what I'm looking for. I don't like riding with bare arms and with summer heating up here in SoCal, I'm going to need something lighter but still protective.

My birthday is coming up so maybe I can hint at these for the wife! Although I have a suspicion she's planning to upgrade my exhaust on the XG750 for me!

Anyway, I appreciate the suggestions.
post #9 of 30 Old 06-30-2015, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Garage
The mesh jackets are great. It keeps the sun off of your skin. Then has a very nice airflow over your skin. My only regret with my mesh jacket is that I did not purchase one sooner.
post #10 of 30 Old 06-30-2015, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Static07 View Post
Thank you both for these suggestions. This is exactly what I'm looking for. I don't like riding with bare arms and with summer heating up here in SoCal, I'm going to need something lighter but still protective.

My birthday is coming up so maybe I can hint at these for the wife! Although I have a suspicion she's planning to upgrade my exhaust on the XG750 for me!

Anyway, I appreciate the suggestions.
oooo, what a fine wife you have....she got any unmarried sisters?....just kidding.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page