Small Tank Scratches (Denim Black) - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

5Likes
  • 1 Post By JONBERG
  • 1 Post By JONBERG
  • 1 Post By Flamegirl
  • 1 Post By harleywv
  • 1 Post By Vicks

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 08-25-2015, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Small Tank Scratches (Denim Black)

Hoping for some help. Looks like the zipper on my riding jacket is causing several small scratches on the denim black gas tank. The location is right in front of where the seat meets the tank which is why I'm almost positive it's being caused by my jacket.

I can certainly post some pictures if that would be helpful.

I tried using Meguiar’s Motorcycle EZ Clean Spray & Rinse but just cleans it and doesn't remove, hide, or cover up the scratches at all. Not sure anything can be done but hoping there's a product out there that can help. Otherwise, I guess it's just my bike getting some character to her...

I appreciate any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-25-2015, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Small Tank Scratches

I had a problem with my keys, garage door remote and fob marring my tank by the ignition switch. I was able to rub it with polishing compound. I then solved the problem permanently by installing a MUSTANG TANK BIB. It's about $50.00, installs in minutes and looks cool. It should solve yours as well.
harleywv likes this.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-25-2015, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONBERG View Post
Small Tank Scratches

I had a problem with my keys, garage door remote and fob marring my tank by the ignition switch. I was able to rub it with polishing compound. I then solved the problem permanently by installing a MUSTANG TANK BIB. It's about $50.00, installs in minutes and looks cool. It should solve yours as well.
Very cool, thanks Jonberg! I was able to find the Mustang Tank Bib you mentioned and had never run across that option for the Street. I like the look as well so that's a great idea for a permanent fix. Any particular polishing compound you recommend? I don't want to just grab anything if there's one in particular that is best for the bike, especially with the Denim black finish.

post #4 of 8 Old 08-25-2015, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Small Tank Scratches

I used TURTLE WAX POLISHING COMPOUND AND SCRATCH REMOVER. This worked on the gloss black but I can't vouch for how it will for the Denim .

GOOD LUCK!
harleywv likes this.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-25-2015, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Great, thanks again!
post #6 of 8 Old 08-25-2015, 07:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Garage
The same thing has happened to my tank. I don't think you want to polish your denim tank. It will change the appearance of the finish. I use the HD denim cleaner and have also used windex. Both those products do a pretty good job. I still have brass looking marks just forward of the seat. I don't want my tank to be shiny.
harleywv likes this.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-25-2015, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks Flamegirl! Yeah, I don't want mine to be shinny either. I'm going to try the Harley Denim cleaner as well as get the mustang tank bib to help prevent further scratches from my jacket.
Overall though, I guess this may be something I'll have to get used to with having denim finish. I just figured it would start showing wear and taking on a "new look" years down the road and not so soon.
Flamegirl likes this.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-26-2015, 02:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Hey Harleywv..

Never use any rubbing compound on denim black, it will make shiny patches on fuel tank.

The cheapest thing you can do is matte black (Vinyl taping) your full fuel tank. you can remove that taping anytime leaving your factory paint new.
harleywv likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page