4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 09-14-2015, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Windshield Tips

I picked up the National Deflector windshield a couple weeks back and it's working really well to keep the wind from buffeting me so much on the highway. It does, however, create a lot more wind noise since the wind is being directed at my helmet instead of my chest. Does anyone have any suggestions on adjusting the windshield correctly (angle, height, etc.) Obviously it depends on the rider's dimensions, but I didn't know if it's sitting too low, or not low enough?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 09-14-2015, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
I currently have a 15 1/2" National Cycle Deflector. It's OK for city riding but it doesn't seem to make it for me on the open road; too much wind in the face. I'd like to get something taller but the only one I find, so far, that wouldn't be a hassle to install is the 25" H-D which may be too tall. One should be able to just look over the top, especially if you get caught in the rain. Has anyone found a 19-20" detachable that fits a STREET yet? If so I'd appreciate hearing about it.

THANKS,

JMB
10-64 likes this.
post #3 of 18 Old 10-01-2015, 01:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'd like to know, too. I have one of the smallest bar-mounted Memphis Shades mounted so it is directly behind the little stock cafe cowling. Since the windshield is black at the bottom, it actually looks pretty good together. But as the original poster noted, it's not quite enough. I think one problem is that the headlight on the Streets are mounted fairly low compared to other bikes, so whatever shield is used needs to extend pretty far down in front, too, in order to be pretty close to the headlight if the stock mini fairing is removed.

I might end up buying the Harley accessory shield, if I ever get the$$ for it, but I believe I'd have to cut it down bit in order to be able to ride looking over it, rather than through. I hate riding looking through a windshield.

Rode today under high wind, high speed conditions writhe shield I described installed. I'm afraid it re-positioned itself tiny bit forward, so it now ever so slightly contacts the stock mini fairing. I really didn't want that to happen. Will fiddle with it some more tomorrow.

Anyway.....
Rock270 likes this.

Last edited by Emzdogz; 10-01-2015 at 01:54 AM. Reason: Sp

post #4 of 18 Old 10-01-2015, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emzdogz View Post
I'd like to know, too. I have one of the smallest bar-mounted Memphis Shades mounted so it is directly behind the little stock cafe cowling. Since the windshield is black at the bottom, it actually looks pretty good together. But as the original poster noted, it's not quite enough. I think one problem is that the headlight on the Streets are mounted fairly low compared to other bikes, so whatever shield is used needs to extend pretty far down in front, too, in order to be pretty close to the headlight if the stock mini fairing is removed.

I might end up buying the Harley accessory shield, if I ever get the$$ for it, but I believe I'd have to cut it down bit in order to be able to ride looking over it, rather than through. I hate riding looking through a windshield.

Rode today under high wind, high speed conditions writhe shield I described installed. I'm afraid it re-positioned itself tiny bit forward, so it now ever so slightly contacts the stock mini fairing. I really didn't want that to happen. Will fiddle with it some more tomorrow.

Anyway.....

If you get a H-D 25" windshield and it needs to be "cut" in order to allow looking over it, where would you have it done? I imagine that a glazer would be the best bet. It looks like a great windshield but why did they have to make it so tall?
Rock270 likes this.
post #5 of 18 Old 11-12-2016, 02:29 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I posted in a similar topic. I came across Laminar Lip and hoping to hear from anyone using it. They have a product for the Street.
http://www.laminarlip.com/street.php
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1216_1478932123185.JPG (36.2 KB, 72 views)
Dave Novotny likes this.
post #6 of 18 Old 11-12-2016, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geotec View Post
I posted in a similar topic. I came across Laminar Lip and hoping to hear from anyone using it. They have a product for the Street.
That's the best looking screen for the 500/750 that I've seen so far. Better protection than a Memphis Shade, good angle, and the price is right.

2 Days Older Than Dirt
post #7 of 18 Old 11-12-2016, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraV View Post
I picked up the National Deflector windshield a couple weeks back and it's working really well to keep the wind from buffeting me so much on the highway. It does, however, create a lot more wind noise since the wind is being directed at my helmet instead of my chest. Does anyone have any suggestions on adjusting the windshield correctly (angle, height, etc.) Obviously it depends on the rider's dimensions, but I didn't know if it's sitting too low, or not low enough?
Top of the windshield should be level with the bridge of your nose, when you are sitting in the normal position that you use on the highway. Some people sit more erect, and others prefer to crouch. It helps if you have a center stand so you can put your feet on the pegs when measuring. If you have your feet on the ground, you'll be in a different position than you will be with feet on the pegs. If you don't have center stand, have a friend hold the bike upright. Sit comfortably, with hands on the grips and have a friend use either a 2' level or a string with a string level (Home Depot) to get the level point. Adjust the shield up or down to get the topline right. If your shield is too tall, take it to a glass shop that has experience cutting Lexan. If you have the level top line marked with a marker pen, then they can copy the curve and cut it correctly.

2 Days Older Than Dirt
post #8 of 18 Old 11-12-2016, 11:23 PM

Here's a link to help anyone who has to cut down their windshield.

Cut Down Your Motorcycle Windshield

2 Days Older Than Dirt
post #9 of 18 Old 11-19-2016, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Installed the Laminar Screen on 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotec View Post
Purchased the Laminar screen and installed. I went on an hour ride on highway (70mph speeds) and it worked well. I felt much less wind buffeting using this screen - could feel some wind upper body but was very manageable (felt wind but no bad buffeting). The style looks great as well. The only issue i had was the bottom two velcro tabs came loose - i did not let it cure long enough. After second attempt, it seems to work well but will go on another ride to make sure the screen is secure. So far i like it.
post #10 of 18 Old 11-19-2016, 09:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Since you've got it, let me ask - do you think it'd be practical to get it to mount on the inside of the cowl instead of on the outside? Looks like you could almost attach it on the inside, and it would probably look pretty slick.

Then again, does this shield rely on ventilation under it? If so, then mounting it inside would defeat the whole point I guess.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page