8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 10-05-2015, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Installed new bars today

First off, this forum has been a huge resource for me learning all the different ways people go about customizing their XG's and seeing how everyone makes their bike reflect their own personal style. I decided to tackle new bars and grips today since I had previously attempted a bar end mirror and was not pleased with the result. I ordered a 28" gloss black drag bar with 2" of pullback along with a motion pro 7/8" throttle sleeve. For grips I chose Biltwell thruster 7/8 in black to stay with the dark custom theme of the street. All in all I am very pleased with the result and it feels great to have my arms stretched out a bit more while on the bike. Throttle response seems like it will be smoother with the aftermarket throttle sleeve as well. Can't wait to take it out tomorrow once the grips have set in place. Here are a few shots of the end result today
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1444085762793.jpg (152.3 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg image_1444085789187.jpg (139.9 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg image_1444085808351.jpg (187.9 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg image_1444085823838.jpg (115.4 KB, 144 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-05-2015, 07:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmiske View Post
First off, this forum has been a huge resource for me learning all the different ways people go about customizing their XG's and seeing how everyone makes their bike reflect their own personal style. I decided to tackle new bars and grips today since I had previously attempted a bar end mirror and was not pleased with the result. I ordered a 28" gloss black drag bar with 2" of pullback along with a motion pro 7/8" throttle sleeve. For grips I chose Biltwell thruster 7/8 in black to stay with the dark custom theme of the street. All in all I am very pleased with the result and it feels great to have my arms stretched out a bit more while on the bike. Throttle response seems like it will be smoother with the aftermarket throttle sleeve as well. Can't wait to take it out tomorrow once the grips have set in place. Here are a few shots of the end result today

Very nice
Thanks for sharing..

It is what it is….
post #3 of 11 Old 10-06-2015, 06:50 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
looks really good!

I especially like the grips.
I only had one bike years ago that I put drag bars on.

this time I think i'll go with the reduced reach bars though.
with my bad lower back it'll be more comfortable for me.
KiwiHOG likes this.

post #4 of 11 Old 10-06-2015, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock270 View Post
looks really good!

I especially like the grips.
I only had one bike years ago that I put drag bars on.

this time I think i'll go with the reduced reach bars though.
with my bad lower back it'll be more comfortable for me.
Thank you! Not going to lie... i was nervous at first taking everything apart but once I dove in it all seemed to work out alright. The grips took the longest to pick out. Can't believe how many options there are out there. Eventually I would like to add a diamond stitched tuffside seat to the street so that will tie in with the grips nicely. I'm interest to see how the drag bars actually are while riding, I too have had a few back problems in the past so hopefully it works out ok.

Are you planning to add the reduced reach bars soon? I Would be interested to see how those look on the bike! I've seen them brought up before on here but have yet to see them mounted!
Irie likes this.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-06-2015, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I think you are going to like the new riding position. I have pretty much the same bars. The forwardness of the position makes for a much better ride at highway speeds. Good job doing it yourself. I was happy and proud when I did mine.
post #6 of 11 Old 10-06-2015, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
I dig the drag bars. First photos I recall seeing them mounted on a Street. I have one sitting in my room in case I get tired of my clubmans, but it hasn't happened yet. Good to know I'll like the look. That tuffside seat would compliment the bike nicely. Don't forget you have to cut the rear section of the frame off if you go with it, so you'll need to plan on what you want to do with your plate and lights.

The text above is my opinion. Feel free to ignore it. I do.
post #7 of 11 Old 10-06-2015, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesskelter View Post
I dig the drag bars. First photos I recall seeing them mounted on a Street. I have one sitting in my room in case I get tired of my clubmans, but it hasn't happened yet. Good to know I'll like the look. That tuffside seat would compliment the bike nicely. Don't forget you have to cut the rear section of the frame off if you go with it, so you'll need to plan on what you want to do with your plate and lights.
It looks like the tuffside seats come with a mounting bracket for the plate along with an led rear light setup much like the fender eliminator kit I have seen on here. Looks like they have a lot of color and stitching options for the seat, the only downside is the price tag that comes with them. It will either be a tuffside seat or a slip on exhaust for my next big purchase for the bike. Probably a good winter project for me since I won't be able to ride through the Minnesota winters
post #8 of 11 Old 10-06-2015, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesskelter View Post
I forgot to ask, how do you like the clubman bars? Any problems with the bars hitting the tank? I love the look of clubmans but was concerned about them hitting the tank also the riding position being too cramped for someone my size. The street definitely makes an awesome looking cafe style bike
post #9 of 11 Old 10-07-2015, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
I forgot they improved the seat package. I saw an update on Instagram a few weeks ago with the now included "under tail" set up.

I love the clubmans. I'm also only 5'7. Maybe one day I can find someone to take a photo of me while I'm riding so people can get an idea of the riding position. You have to get the wide ones to avoid hitting the tank and they will need to be positioned so that they go forward then pull back (If that makes sense). Some people insist it's the "wrong" way to mount them, but it's the way I've always seen them done. Oh, the bike is also much more responsive to smaller movements with the forward riding position, which I also love.
post #10 of 11 Old 10-07-2015, 05:05 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Quote:
..... Probably a good winter project for me since I won't be able to ride through the Minnesota winters

Snoxcycle ? US$3000 motorcycle conversion for the snow

if you could get this to work...winter riding in the snow would be interesting

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page