Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

Very agitated.

4K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  tromp 
#1 ·
I went to replace the rear fender bolts to be able to put the rack on. I got three of them out. One is stuck. I drilled it partly and put an extractor in it......and snap goes the extractor. Next, I tried to weld a 3/8 bolt on it and use it to remove it......nope. I guess I need to take it to a machine shop that has some carbide tools.

#5 ·
Want to avoid breaking lock tightend bolts? Try tightening bolts first . The this will break the seal most cases. The other thing to avoid is trying to undo the bolts all the way out in one movement. The lock tight will generalte that much heat it will weld your bolt to the thread. The only solution then is a drill.
If you have any penetrating oil available, use it after you have turned the bolt a quarter of a turn, let it sit a couple of minutes then turn it some more. If it gets tight, leave it for a few minutes then gently tighten and loosen the bolts several times after adding some more penetrating oil. You are effectively cutting a new thread.
Be patient , walk away and have a beer if frustration arrives,
If the bolt refuses to move at all, take it to your dealer. If they break it when undoing it, it become a warranty job, and you will not damage your toy.

#10 ·
Mine had Blue Loctite on the Rear Bolts. And Red on the 2 front. The 6mm Allen rounded out. Hammered a 1/4" in. Used a Impact Driver and Hammer. Eventually it came loose with a 1/2" Breaker Bar and reducer(1/2 to 3/8") It was the last Front one with the Red that slowed me up. My dealer told me they broke one when the installed the luggage rack. Called him back and told him How I got it loose.

#12 ·
One of my bolts was stuck, I simply removed one bolt, pulled the support and spacer away from the fender a bit and rotated it back and forth carefully. This seemed to break the loctite and made it easy to remove the bolt the rest of the way.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.