Rear sets (finally?) coming! - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 10-14-2015, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Rear sets (finally?) coming!

As anyone who's read my constant complaining knows, I'm really looking forward to getting some rear sets on the Street. Thankfully, after what seems like a false start from Azzkikr Custom Baggers in Arizona, the mantle's been taken up by Chappell Customs out of California. I'm super excited to see these come to market, hopefully sooner rather than later. Anyone else interested, maybe we can get some kind of forum discount:

www.youtube.com/howlonwheels
Motorcycle Film Festival
1973 CB500 Four
2015 HD Street 750

Last edited by HowlOnWheels; 10-14-2015 at 12:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 10-14-2015, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
im tempted but im in the uk , how much do they cost ?
post #3 of 23 Old 10-14-2015, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
What is this? A heel rest?

post #4 of 23 Old 10-14-2015, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

It's history. Not all Harleys need to be baggers or cruisers. In fact, it would be better for the company if they weren't.
Rock270 and 10-64 like this.

Motorcycle Film Festival
1973 CB500 Four
2015 HD Street 750
post #5 of 23 Old 10-14-2015, 06:01 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Awesome! Do they have a projected price yet?
post #6 of 23 Old 10-14-2015, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I have been keeping a close watch on these guys ever since I saw the first street they added a cafe seat to. I am really curious to see how much they are going to cost because I would love to add a set to my 750 since I have a more forward lean with the drag bars. The street definitely could be a great contender in the modern vintage segment against the bonneville/thruxton from triumph and the v7 from Moto guzzi. We are half way there with the styling cues from the old XLCR now we just need the aftermarket support to get the rest of the way there, and I'm glad Chappell customs has really embraced what the street can offer when no one else really has. Those guys do a great job!
post #7 of 23 Old 10-14-2015, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlOnWheels View Post

It's history. Not all Harleys need to be baggers or cruisers. In fact, it would be better for the company if they weren't.
A simple answer would of been a lot more helpful than a smart ass response. I didn't ask for a history lesson or your opinion of what Harley should be doing. I asked what the part was that you were talking about. A simple peg relocation or something similar would of been more helpful.
jaxonfinestone likes this.
post #8 of 23 Old 10-14-2015, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowgfstcat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlOnWheels View Post

A simple answer would of been a lot more helpful than a smart ass response. I didn't ask for a history lesson or your opinion of what Harley should be doing. I asked what the part was that you were talking about. A simple peg relocation or something similar would of been more helpful.
Considering you asked if it was a heel rest, he probably thought you were making a joke. They move your controls rearward. It gives you a sportier riding position and is more comfortable for those of us that like to be forward on our bikes. Less cramped feeling.
Rock270 likes this.
post #9 of 23 Old 10-15-2015, 02:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Garage
POC PHD(the guy who did my forward controls) has nearly finished his setup and going into mass production soon
Rock270 and Louis louis like this.

I'D rather live just 1 day as a Tiger,
Than a thousand as a sheep.
post #10 of 23 Old 10-15-2015, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesskelter View Post
Considering you asked if it was a heel rest, he probably thought you were making a joke. They move your controls rearward. It gives you a sportier riding position and is more comfortable for those of us that like to be forward on our bikes. Less cramped feeling.
Yeah, sorry, I thought you were making a joke and was responding in kind. As happens too often, tone and such get lost on forum posts. My bad and didn't mean to offend, I'm just stoked that someone is looking back in the HD history to bring back what was one of Willie G's more interesting ideas.

It's a fully rear-set relocation, removing the standard foot controls and replacing them with laser cut aluminum pieces about half a foot back and an inch or two higher. I'm excited as it will increase ground clearance for more lean angle, as well as make weight shifting significantly easier which will help in corners as well. I've been a huge proponent of the 750 power plant since release and I think it's the best part of the bike by far. Performance-wise, it's a bit held back by it's relatively mediocre lean angles, especially when pushing hard around corners. For those looking for a more aggressive style of riding, this kind of set up is exactly what we need.

As far as pricing goes, they probably won't be cheap. TuffSide, which sells the Chappell Custom parts, offers a few other options for rear sets on vintage bikes in the $200+ range, but since the market is flooded with those kits, and this will be the first for the XG series, I'm guessing they'll want to recoup the dev cost quickly. The other parts for the Street, specifically the Brat conversion is around $700, but that's really not that bad for a seat, fender kit, brake and turn signals, and the custom seat leveler. Personally, I did that style.

Motorcycle Film Festival
1973 CB500 Four
2015 HD Street 750

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page