set of handgrips that fit our bikes - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

3Likes
  • 1 Post By Rock270
  • 1 Post By Rock270
  • 1 Post By Emzdogz

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 11-05-2015, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
set of handgrips that fit our bikes

I found these grips......CNC Aluminum Motorcycle Handlebar Gel Hand Grips Bar Rubber - US$4.79
they come as a pair, but one is for the left grip 7/8", the other one comes as the right grip 1"....and they have different colors.

originally I order a set of 7/8" grips, but forgot the right grip needed to be a 1".....anyway, they seem to be pretty decent grips with a good feel.
...and the price is amazing.
JONBERG likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-05-2015, 10:07 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
A friend of mine gave me a brand new set of KURYAKYN grips for 1" bars. I haven't tried to do anything yet due to some uncertainties. There are, apparently, adapters that may allow them to fit my 7/8" bars:

Joker Machine 7/8" Metric To 1" Harley Handlebar Adapters - RevZilla

QUESTIONS:

1) Would the right grip need such an adapter?

2) Given that the stated length of the adapter is only 1 1/4" would that provide the stability needed for the 4 1/2" internal length of the grips?

3) If the adapter isn't needed on the right I would assume that both could be inserted on the left for greater stability-not sure?

If anyone has ideas, tips or experience with this I'd sure appreciate hearing about it.

THANKS,

JMB
post #3 of 10 Old 11-05-2015, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I seen those also...
it appears to me, that the 1" grips would work on the right throttle side over the stock throttle tube and the adapter would go on the left side so the 1" grip would fit on the 7/8" bar.

but the short length of this adapter kinda concerns me.
it may work well, but with the short length I'd guess there could be some slack in the left grip somewhere, depending on where it is located under the grip, but I haven't tried this so I really don't know for sure.

shoot, before I'd spend the money for the revzilla adapter, I'd try wrapping some gorilla tape around the left bar side then apply the grip and see if it would fit tight.

as you probably alreaady know, hair spray works well for installing new grips, but you have to put the grip on quickly before the hair spray starts to dry, which is with in seconds....just FYI.
JONBERG likes this.

post #4 of 10 Old 11-07-2015, 08:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
7/8 to1 in adapter tubing

I bought the Joker shims.
I'd thought they were longer. My bad.
Then I found 7/8 inch inside diameter, 1 inch outside diameter tubing at mcmastercarr.com. Great place, I love them.

My grip install didn't seem to require an adapter for the left side, but if it loosens up I may try a length of the MMC tubing. I bought 2 feet of it for lots less than the 2 little Joker machine pieces.
Rock270 likes this.
post #5 of 10 Old 11-10-2015, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
I'm a little confused here. Street needs a 1" grip on throttle side, because of throttle tube, and 7/8" on left side, correct?

So why do 1" grips fit both sides of other Harleys? Wouldn't the throttle side require bigger? What am I missing?

FWIW, I'm going to try 1" grips. I've bought a second 7/8" throttle tube and the Joker adapter for my new bars (no removal of grips on old bars that way).
post #6 of 10 Old 11-10-2015, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irie View Post
I'm a little confused here. Street needs a 1" grip on throttle side, because of throttle tube, and 7/8" on left side, correct?

So why do 1" grips fit both sides of other Harleys? Wouldn't the throttle side require bigger? What am I missing?

FWIW, I'm going to try 1" grips. I've bought a second 7/8" throttle tube and the Joker adapter for my new bars (no removal of grips on old bars that way).

(if you bought a 7/8" throttle tube, then 7/8" grips should work on that side.)

__________________________________________________ _

yes that's right....for some reason HD put a ticker throttle tube on the street models, where it takes a 1" grip to cover that tube.
but with only the handlebar itself on the left side, it takes a 7/8" grip.

why?.....don't know......same as why do they put too short mirrors on the street models, with not enough offset to see behind most when they ride?.....yes, I don't know why either.
post #7 of 10 Old 11-10-2015, 11:27 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
I don't know how you got a 1" grip to fit a 7/8" bar, but if it works for you, good deal.

I'm sure the 1" throttle tube is a sales tactic, but people like myself and other forum members have no problem showing others how to circumvent that.
post #8 of 10 Old 11-10-2015, 04:14 PM

Ok, how about I wrap tape on the new 7/8" tube to make it work with the 1" grip... Just spit balling here. I'd stick with the 7/8 grips if I had found any I liked. I like the thicker feel of a Kuryakin type grip.

Oh yeah, I forgot I got those Joker adapters too. Kinda short, I was going to put both on one side. Guess I could put one on each. Then I'm good to go wth 1" grips! **** this is giving me a headache

Last edited by Irie; 11-10-2015 at 04:55 PM.
post #9 of 10 Old 11-10-2015, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
there is another thread where a member here actually got kury to sell him one grip of each size that he needed for his HD Street.

just do a thread search and it should come up for you.

however, if you send kury an email asking about this while advising them on which style grip you like, they will likely do this....according to that particular post they did that for him.

if I remember correctly I had actually emailed them and ask a while back, and was told yes they would sell them each separately.

however I've had kury grips before on other bikes and choose to go with some thing different on this bike. I did order a set recently from a place on ebay, that actually sells a set for the street 750 with the 2 different sizes we need if not changing the stock throttle tube.

there are more than a few other members here that have changed their bars and grips and could better advise you than I can.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-11-2015, 08:49 AM

Thru trial and error I've got it figured out. It was the throttle tube that got me

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page