Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

Two Brother exhaust installed - too loud!

20K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  chbart 
#1 ·
Hi,

Based on the discussions here and the videos of the TBR exhaust, I decided to get it installed. However, i find them to be too loud, way more than what the videos suggested. Either my neighbours are gonna complain or traffic cops are gonna pull me up!

Is there any dB killer insert for it? I had read about something similar for the Firebrand exhaust in the best slip on thread. I'd really appreciate your help on this.

In addition, there's a crazy amount of deceleration pop. Is there any way to get rid of it?

Thanks,
Vignesh

#2 ·
Is the fitment right?

i find them to be too loud, way more than what the videos suggested. Either my neighbours are gonna complain or traffic cops are gonna pull me up!

In addition, there's a crazy amount of deceleration pop
Dear Vignesh,

Even i was looking for an exhaust upgrade even i posted a poll last month for the feedback. TBR was the clear winner in that. The reason suggested by many was, it is longer than other hence contains a better rumble than others.
Also, the performance parameters are one of the best in competition. So, if the noise is too loud and parallel deceleration observed seems to eb fitment issue to me. Did you get it from HD service or some other mechanic?

#3 ·
Dear Vignesh,
So, if the noise is too loud and parallel deceleration observed seems to eb fitment issue to me. Did you get it from HD service or some other mechanic?
Initially I installed it on my own but a heat shield clamp broke so I had to go the service center to get a new one. While fitting it, they had to remove and install the exhaust again.

So I'm not sure if fitment is indeed the problem.

#4 ·
Hooked on to the thread.

I also am planning for the TBR itself, but if these are the issues then that might have to start the search again.

Is it too loud even during cruising speeds or just on higher rpms?

#5 ·
Is it too loud even during cruising speeds or just on higher rpms?
I went for a HOG ride yesterday and this is definitely the loudest one around! (amongst Street)

Maybe I should let it grow on me, I've been on the stock for a year and a half so this sudden increase in sound might take some time to get used to.

TBR has mentioned that there are dB killers (known as Powertip) for their exhausts, costing between $30-$40. I've written to them if it would fit this exhaust, I'll keep you posted on their response.

I did some reading on decel pops and they appear to be present in all exhausts, be it stock or aftermarket. However, since aftermarket exhausts are more open than stock, pops can be heard. I shall take it to the service center over the weekend and check if they can do something about it.

#11 ·
Thanks mate! Hope I also learn to love it soon.

Below is the text of the mail I received from TBR:-

We do not have a db killer available at this point in time but we may be
releasing one in the future. It is normal to have popping on deceleration
after an exhaust is added. It does not damage the bike or the exhaust.
There may be ways to quiet that popping down but your best bet will be to
google them for your bike. Common issues are an exhaust leak, or a pair
valve but check online and you will get a lot of answers.

#12 ·
I can't explain why but after several months with my TBR there is no "popping" on deceleration but rather just a pleasant, intermittent, rumble. Further, insofar as loudness is concerned, I find the TBR on my 750 to be quite moderate compared to that of the window rattling bigger bore machines around here. I highly recommend the TBR!

#15 ·
deceleration pop can be fixed with a stage one tune. Buy a Vance & Hines FP3. It's not REQUIRED if you only upgrade the exhaust and not the air flow, which it has options for just upgraded exhaust. It will also take the Decel pop away from just upgrading the exhaust. You could get the Stage 1 from your dealer, but I found it to be way more convenient to use the V&H FP3, as it allows you to put as many different set-ups for your bike as you can.

If you upgraded the AIR FILTER to anything other than the stock paper filter (K&N is not an upgrade in air flow, its an upgrade in filter material) you will need a stage one, as these bikes come from the factory running really lean, and adding more air to the mix will only make this worse. And could cause some pretty bad damge to your engine.

my two cents

#19 ·
I'm with Jonberg (he and I have discussed the TBR a while back when I was thinking of which slip on I wanted)...I'll just say I love it. Sounds good, works well. I too had the decel, and like most have said, some type of small tune can cure that. I got a SE intake upgrade so I tuned my bike either way since I therefore had to at that point and no decel. Enjoy!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.