Iso type grips are not working out - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 05-06-2016, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Iso type grips are not working out

I have iso grips on my bike and I've encountered two issues.

1. They are so big around that I'm having trouble reaching the clutch

And, more importantly
2. I'm having throttle issues. I don't know if my gloves are sticking ( I've tried three different pairs) or the cable itself isn't playing nice with the new throttle tube that came with the grips, but occasionally when I'm stopping the throttle isn't. Usually when departing after a short stop, always when someone is watching 😬 Last night it happened leaving bike night at the dealership! I've had enough!

Anyone else ever heard of this? I think I'm going to change grips. Sucks because grips, pegs, shifter all match. Oh well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-06-2016, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Garage
Just want to clarify and make sure I'm not confusing your mod to another's. You went with 1" grips instead of 7/8 grips? What did you do to adjust for the difference?
post #3 of 8 Old 05-06-2016, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Garage
My left grip is 7/8 and my right is 1 inch both universal and just slightly longer than stock. hence insert. I'm using stock throttle tube. The outer diameter for both grips is exactly the same. I'm not having any issues.

post #4 of 8 Old 05-07-2016, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I went to 1" grips and used a plastic tube as an adapter. Works great!

Not sure what's causing the stuck throttle issue. I saw someone on another forum had noticed the same thing (on a Dyna) with iso grips. I have a pair of 7/8" grips and an extra throttle tube I may give them a try, though I don't love the style.

Last edited by Irie; 05-07-2016 at 12:16 PM.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-13-2016, 03:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
1 1/8" is correct size for the OE throttle tube unless you've sanded it down to paper thin to fit a 1" grip.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-14-2016, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Let me clarify. Iso grips came with a throttle tube. Grips are one inch, I used an adapter to fit 7/8" bars. No other adjustments.

Iso grips are 1. Larger than usual because of the rubber inserts that stick out so much, and 2. That rubber is extremely tacky AND has edges that seem to catch on my gloves.

I just wondered if others had noticed issues with iso grips. The install is not the problem.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-14-2016, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Garage
I did it the hard way, I have Universal 7/8 inch grip on clutch side and Universal 1 inch grip (without throttle tube) on throttle side slipped over the stock throttle tube on a set of reduce reach handle bars. I too had to use the plastic tube on both sides cause both grips where a bit longer than stock. I slide the 1 inch Universal ISO grip over the stock throttle tube. The Outer diameter of both grips are the same. I was trying to get Kuryakyn to make a pair of Harley sized grips without the throttle tube that the throttle side grip would just slip over the Street's 1 1/8 inch outer diameter throttle tube. I was trying to keep it simple with just slipping off the stock grips and slipping on the ISO's. I believe in KISS....Keep It Simple Stupid! I was unsuccessful in getting Kuryakyn to do such a thing but I can tell you that a Chinese knock offs available on Ebay. As to how those knock off's fit, I haven't heard. Experimentation can get expensive at times. lol
post #8 of 8 Old 05-16-2016, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Mine are the Chinese knockoffs and they work just fine, except for the two issues I'm having above. I've decided it's the grip design and size not working with my small hands. Looking at other options, but I'll stay with 1"

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page