1 inch diameter ape handlebars - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sean Smith

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 06-08-2016, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1 inch diameter ape handlebars

Has anyone tried to replace their 7/8 in diameter handlebars with 1 inch bars? I would like to do this to improve the quality look (beefier bars) but would like to keep the 7/8 in grips, controls, and riser area so I dont have to buy new ones to fit. Thinking a 1 inch bar with 7/8 in tapered grip area? Seems to not be too common as its hard to find. Hard to believe I would be the first one to try this. Im also going with a 16 in apes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-17-2016, 09:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I couldn't get it figured out and wound up replacing the riser with a 1" one because I hated the stock riser and could only find ones I liked in 1". Wasn't too hard really. You may be able to find 1" bars that taper down but I couldn't when I was looking... search "Biltwell risers" on the forum and you'll find my thread on that project.

XG750

RIDE UNTIL YOUR EYES BLEED
post #3 of 4 Old 06-19-2016, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thannks Sean, much appreicated. Yeah, I tried the facebook page, this forum, and of course reseaching youtube, web, etc. You would think this is more common and a market would exist for it. Much as I wanted 1 inch bars, I just didnt want to have to purchase new grips, controls, and riser, esp. since I just bought new grips at 7/8 as I already did a mini-ape with 11 inches. Of course now I want 15 in So I ended up purchaing a 15 in rise, 7/8 daimeter apes. Now I just have to extend the cables (ugh). Trying to figure out how I can put the wires inside the bars now, esp with that external connector coming off the brake on the throttle side. I love this bike, and can see the potential, but always something to adjust for.

Did you run your wires inside your 1 inch bars?

post #4 of 4 Old 06-30-2016, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
@chbart I wound up using shims and running 7/8' bars so i didn't have to replace my controls. One day though I'll clean all that up and at that time I will put the 1" bars on. One tip I heard when internally wiring is to use a chain, like the little ones you would use as a ceiling fan pull chain to snake the wires through...

You could always just not run the front brake light, which is what that cable is for, and rely solely on your rear brake to signal...
chbart likes this.

XG750

RIDE UNTIL YOUR EYES BLEED

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page