LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 08-12-2016, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
New seat

I just finished another one of my "bright ideas", a motorcycle ride to Sturgis. I figure what's the big deal, it's only 435 miles each way and the 750 cc street model should be up to the task. Which it definitely is considering the previous week I'd taken it on a 400 mile round-trip. I took a three hour break in between legs and I still had a sore butt when I got back. I did have to stop halfway back and take a 20 minute break and give my back a rest. The problem is mostly in my tailbone and lower back. Around town, or short regional jobs it isn't bad. But 400 and some odd miles in one shot is brutal. Luckily I had my two overstuffed dry bags on the passenger seat. They made a fantastic backrest, however it was very cramped on the seat. But we made do. It took me approximately nine hours to make the 435 miles counting fuel stops and rest breaks. Upon arriving I made a promise to myself that if I could find an aftermarket seat at the rally I would definitely switch out. Mustang and Corbin were the two that I could find. I wanted a touring seat but I've seen pictures of the Mustang seats rubbing up against the Sissy bar luggage rack combo. The saleslady at Mustang said they had a touring seat but not the fastback. I told her that if she could get that touring seat to fit, without rubbing up against the luggage rack, I would buy it. They installed it and it was jammed into the luggage rack. They took it off in the saleslady said they would contact Mustang and find out what gives. I went down the street to Corbin and looked at their touring seat, they also said it would fit. After putting the seat on it was the same all over, scrunched into the back rest and Sissy bar mount. Mike Corbin, the CEO of Corbin seats, was there and said it was no biggie, they'd take care of it. The tech then pulled the seat off, popped the rivets, and proceeded to grind the seat down in the back. An hour later he reinstalled it and it fit perfect.

Fast-forward to the end of the rally I Broke camp and headed home. No more lower back pain, or butt pain. The seat was a pleasure to ride. The only problem I then had was in my thighs and legs due to the cramping on that small of a motorcycle. The street models definitely let you know that they're a small bike. It was definitely cramped on the bike. As usual the wind in South Dakota was horrendous. Had it not been windy it would've been a rather enjoyable trip, a lot more comfortable coming back and going out. That Corbin seat definitely did the trick. If any of you are looking for an aftermarket seat and have a luggage rack Sissy bar combo, and decide to go Corbin or Mustang, call them first and make sure they corrected the problem. They took pictures at both dealers and said they were going to forward them to their engineering department and have the seat remolded. I do have to commend Corbin for taking the time to make sure my seat fit perfectly at no additional charge. Both dealers and rally specials, 10% off. Mustang offered free shipping of your own seat, but Corbin charged for shipping. Also I had to pay South Dakota sales tax. The Mustang would've been about $330 and the Corbin came out to, with shipping about $460. The main difference being Corbin is leather seating and Mustang uses vinyl. I am definitely impressed with my Corbin seat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Corbin custom.jpg (179.0 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg Corbin custom2.jpg (197.5 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg Corbin custom3.jpg (175.2 KB, 211 views)
10-64 and UnaClocker like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-12-2016, 08:23 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Garage
My 750 Vibrates so bad at Highway Speed. It hurts my hands on long rides.

2019 Hyundai Kona SE Surf Blue

2018 Custom 1200 Black Tempest
post #3 of 18 Old 08-12-2016, 09:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Was it the density of the foam in the seat or the height of the seat that was the problem for you?

I can understand Harley designing the Street for low seat height - not everybody is 6' tall. If you want to get women and younger people into motorcycling, you have to deliver a product that fits them. The stock seat seems to be sized for a maximum height of 5'8" - maybe even shorter if they were assuming a longer torso and shorter legs. I am 5'11" and I know the first time I sat on one there was no way the standard seat would work for me. There are three or four different seats for the Street in the Harley accessory catalog. The Tallboy seat worked fine for me for the ten or eleven hours of the on-bike MSF class. I noted that it was wider meeting the tank which produced a bit of a bowlegged feeling after the longest sessions but my knees were fine and my back was fine. I would hope that Harley dealers are taking the time to make sure that buyers are getting the correct seat height on their new Streets. It seems odd to me that I would have to pay $300 for a Tallboy seat to get the bike to fit me straight from the factory if I did not want to keep the stock seat. But if the foam density is insufficient for long rides - that's a whole different problem. If it is any consolation, I have read the Triumph seats are not comfortable on long trips either.

Glad you had a safe trip. When I drive out to the Hills I usually overnight at Mitchell to cut the trip into reasonable distances. Perhaps Chamberlain would have been a good stopping point for you. The old Best Western in Mitchell has always been cheap when I have stayed there but I've never gone through during Sturgis. I doubt there is anytime of the year where there is no appreciable wind on the Plains.

post #4 of 18 Old 08-12-2016, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I really like the look of that Corbin seat. Pretty cool that they could rework it for you right there on the spot.

2016 Street 5̶0̶0̶ 750
post #5 of 18 Old 08-12-2016, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Actually the Corbin feels like it sits a little lower than the stock seat. Corbin says the comfort comes from denser foam. It has more body support in your lower regions than stock seats. I.e. it's a little harder. It also has a higher and flatter back area to cushion your tailbone and lower back. What I had been doing on the long rides when my butt really starts to hurt is to reposition my bottom on the seat, usually farther back. That helps for a short period of time and then I have to do it all over again. With the Corbin seat there's very little repositioning that can be done due to the flat back of the bucket. But I find it unnecessary to do that much maneuvering with this seat. Sitting in one position, regardless of the seat, eventually leads to some discomfort. It doesn't help that I'm about 75 – 100 pounds heavier than I should be, thereby putting more pressure on my lower extremities. The only issue I found, and I don't know if it's due to the configuration of this seat, but I do get some aching in my upper legs, knees and thighs. That's usually remedied when I'm fortunate enough to stop at a stoplight I can put both feet down and stand up for a few seconds and that seems to do the trick. I think I would have that problem irregardless of the seat. All I can say is my comfort level was considerably better on the way back with the new seat than going out with the old seat.

Corbin Motorcycle Seats & Accessories | HD Street 750 / 500 | 800-538-7035
post #6 of 18 Old 08-13-2016, 02:37 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I'm 5'8" 220lbs ... I have the same problem. I actually had a saddleman solo fender seat and I would go numb after an hour or so of riding. It dropped me back and a little too low i think. I put the stock seat back on and it stopped. definitely looking for a touring seat. Has anyone tried the mustang seat yet?

Street 750
post #7 of 18 Old 08-13-2016, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydl View Post
I'm 5'8" 220lbs ... I have the same problem. I actually had a saddleman solo fender seat and I would go numb after an hour or so of riding. It dropped me back and a little too low i think. I put the stock seat back on and it stopped. definitely looking for a touring seat. Has anyone tried the mustang seat yet?
I tried the mustang touring seat but they couldn't get it to work with HD sissy bar/luggage rack. It was pushed into the bottom mounts. They didn't have a fastback seat to try so I went to Corbin. They reworked the touring seat till it fit. Love the seat.
post #8 of 18 Old 08-13-2016, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Does the Corbin seat have the option for a riders back rest?

2016 XG750
post #9 of 18 Old 08-13-2016, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullet View Post
Does the Corbin seat have the option for a riders back rest?
Yes it does.
I was already over budget for the seat as I had planned on buying a mustang seat which was over a $100 less. They did have a seat, with a rider backrest, for about $150 more.
post #10 of 18 Old 08-13-2016, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorkyF View Post
Yes it does.
I was already over budget for the seat as I had planned on buying a mustang seat which was over a $100 less. They did have a seat, with a rider backrest, for about $150 more.
Nice, I thought it only had a passenger back rest. I'll be looking at that seat more now.

2016 XG750

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page