High Flow Air on 500 worth it? And ECM won't Tune?? - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 08-14-2016, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
High Flow Air on 500 worth it? And ECM won't Tune??

Hey guys,

New rider here, not mechanically inclined and half clueless. Been doing a lot of reading about Stage One Upgrades. Two questions...

1) I have V&H Competition Series Exhaust ordered to make my Street 500 sound bad ass. But since it is only 500cc, would the V&H Naked Air Intake be a waste of time & money?

2) I went to HD Dealer and asked about a Stage One Tune. They told me they tried this on a Street 500 and it would not tune. Is this true?? Maybe this dealer has dumb technicians who don't know how to do it??

From what I gather I'm not going to get that much more out of a 500 anyway. So I'd like some peer advice before dropping lots of coin on additional upgrades.

If I had known better I would have got the 750 - oh well! Thanks in advance for any advice!

Last edited by STOBuddy; 08-14-2016 at 07:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-14-2016, 08:15 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Garage
You could get the K&N Drop In filter. Cheaper. Note: You may have to get the V&H FP3 and Reflash your computer. Definitely will with the VO2. And I had some Technical Difficulties installing my VO2. Had to sand some burrs in the hole for the Venturi. It wouldn't fit through it. The Cover is an Extra Charge. They have different options.

2016 Hyundai Tucson SE Coliseum Grey AWD

2018 Custom 1200
post #3 of 9 Old 08-14-2016, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks, Tucson - yes I've looked into those options. I have no idea what I'm doing so buying the FP3 would be a bad idea.

Basically just need to know if doing High Flow Filter with aftermarket exhaust is worth doing on a 500cc. It's not a fast bike like the 750.

post #4 of 9 Old 08-14-2016, 05:39 PM

Garage
I would just use the K&N Drop In. Its an Easy install. 4 or 5mm(My 750 is in the shop now) Allen socket. And two 10mm Nuts. Just move the Seal to the bracket(K&N) The Beauty of the K&N is, I have cleaned the bugs out of mine a couple of times. And has more surface area.

The FP3 is not that hard to do. Hard part would be pulling the side panel off to access the Grey Diagnostic plug. Plug it in. You have to download the app.

2018 Custom 1200
post #5 of 9 Old 08-14-2016, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Alright, thanks again bud.

I don't trust what the maintenance rep told me at the HD Dealer - that the xg500 won't tune. He also told me they did not have the Screamin Eagle Air Filter but I clearly see the kit listed on the HD website along with the K&N filter. I will double check with the dealer and maybe contact Vance & Hines and RevZilla about the VO2 Air Intake and tuning.

I just watched videos about FP3 - looks awesome but it becomes locked to the bike's VIN. If I pay $400 for FP3 and the tune doesn't really benefit much because I have a 500cc I will be really disappointed. Might trade up to a Street 750 and have to do the FP3 all over again - big waste.

Also reading that sometimes a tune is not needed unless you have some kind of severe backfire problems. Beats me...
post #6 of 9 Old 08-14-2016, 07:02 PM

Garage
Shop around for the FP3. I bought mine from a seller on Amazon. I think I paid $310. No Tax and Free Ship.

The VO2 Intake kit is a little tricky. You're going to need some Metric Allen sockets, 10mm socket. Blue Thread Locker. And the Breather Tube gets shoved through the hole. I bought a fitting at Tractor Supply. When I get my bike back from the shop, I am going to see if I can mount it to the VO2 Back plate. Then put the Spring clamp back on the breather hose. I don't like the way they want me to run it. My way would look more professional.

2018 Custom 1200
post #7 of 9 Old 08-18-2016, 02:44 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Tucson, just wanted to thank you again as you've been extremely helpful. I opened the side panel and found my data port. I thought something was wrong when I saw it was a 4-Pin port instead of 6-Pin but then I found your posts concerning this so thanks very much.

When you hooked up your FP3 on your 750 is there room inside to mount it?

I had my HD Dealer install my V&H Competition Series Slip-On Exhaust yesterday. Very pleased with the sound.

I don't think I like the VO2 after all and will probably go with K&N 63-1130 Aircharger High Performance Air Intake. The dealer had one installed on a XG750 and they were very happy with it - popping wheelies outside the dealership lol! Plus I like the looks of it more. And the warranty and guarantee of increased HP look superior to the VO2. Please correct me if I'm wrong?

The dealer has problems with modifying how the VO2 is mounted, they would follow the mfg instructions to the letter and that's it. Not sure how the mfg mount instructions seem unprofessional but all those alterations are too much for me.

Thx again for your input before I commit on buying the K&N 63-1130 and FP3 (66005 is correct Part # I think ??)
post #8 of 9 Old 08-18-2016, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Garage
I have the K&N 63-1130 and love it. Partly because I no longer have my knee pushed out from the side of the bike by the big tumor air cleaner that was on the bike before. Not sure where you got that part number, so can't confirm it. Price on the K&N website was the best I found for it. $170.99. And you should definitely notice some improvement in the power with the XG500

Not all those who wander are lost.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-19-2016, 01:45 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO WanderZest View Post
I have the K&N 63-1130 and love it. Partly because I no longer have my knee pushed out from the side of the bike by the big tumor air cleaner that was on the bike before. Not sure where you got that part number, so can't confirm it. Price on the K&N website was the best I found for it. $170.99. And you should definitely notice some improvement in the power with the XG500
Thanks very much for the info! I ordered from K&N website. Should be easier for my dealer to install since they have experience with it.

Waiting on a response from V&H to confirm 66005 is the correct Part # for FP3. I got the number from V&H website, RevZilla and Amazon. Oddly enough Amazon says it does not work with our XG's but the others say it does work.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page