Better looking cover for the V&H Intake - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 08-31-2016, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Better looking cover for the V&H Intake

I bought the Vance & Hines Naked O2 air filter kit, assuming that I could just swap the "cap" from my stock intake onto it. Got it installed, nice bit of kit. But holy cow is it ugly in it's "naked" form, the V&H logo isn't even right side up on the air filter. And it turned out the cap isn't removable from the stock intake. I could have sworn I'd seen a picture where someone had done that. So I grabbed an air cutoff tool and cut the top of the stock air filter housing off. Bolts up, and looks like a million bucks. I love how the fins on the air filter look just like the fins on the cylinder heads.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-08-29 11.43.28.jpg (288.3 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg 2016-08-29 11.43.33.jpg (231.2 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg 2016-08-29 09.15.10.jpg (228.4 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg 2016-08-29 11.44.51.jpg (292.0 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg 2016-08-29 14.01.13.jpg (259.4 KB, 128 views)

2016 Street 500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-31-2016, 11:18 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I just bought the V&H black cover for it.

Harleywolf

Howling down the road on my Harley Metis.
post #3 of 16 Old 08-31-2016, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Yeah, the V&H black cover doesn't match the bike, and it's like $80.. But certainly looks better than the naked setup. I really wish there were more covers to choose from. WAY more.
10-64 likes this.

2016 Street 500

post #4 of 16 Old 09-01-2016, 04:35 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I like unaclockers idea. I just taped off around the edges and painted mine flat black and it looks at least a little better.
post #5 of 16 Old 09-01-2016, 04:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
I gotta say, and no offense to anyone who likes the look, but to me that V&H Naked filter is one butt-ugly piece of gear. I want it, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder and my eye ain't beholding it when I look at it. And I don't like the look of the "skull cap" they offer. But Unaclocker's approach is perfect. That's what I want. Having no skills with tools whatsoever, I have to find someone who would do that for me; I'd totally get the VO2 if it looked like that.

EDIT: or maybe this? Do you guys with the VO2 think that this Screamin' Eagle air cleaner cover medallion would fit and work?
http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...aner-medallion

I've got a Nightstick I haven't installed yet, so the Screamin' Eagle medallion would be an appropriate thing to do if it'd work...

Just put a VO2 in my cart on Amazon, $122 with free shipping. Hadn't planned on it, but Unaclocker's given me some real optimism that this might be an ideal solution.
10-64, UnaClocker and Reace90 like this.

Last edited by Gaijin; 09-01-2016 at 05:11 PM.
post #6 of 16 Old 09-01-2016, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
That madalian has a 3/4" hole in the center, I guess you're supposed to pry the stock one off and glue that one in it's place. But maybe if you epoxy a fender washer onto the back of it, paint the washer black, it'd do the job just fine. It's certainly a good price.

2016 Street 500
post #7 of 16 Old 09-02-2016, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Wow, that looks great. I like how it is clean and has an OEM look almost, well done!
UnaClocker likes this.
post #8 of 16 Old 09-06-2016, 06:11 PM

Okay, I got the V&H VO2 air cleaner kit in, and measured it. The filter front/exterior surface is 5.5" in diameter, the Screamin' Eagle medallion is about 5" in diameter. So it would almost fit, the black edge would I guess just overlap with the black face of the exterior surface of the V02 filter.

The bigger problem is, I found the installation instructions for the Screamin' Eagle medallion (well, the whole Stage 1 air cleaner kit, actually). And it appears that the medallion is actually just a peel & stick sticker(!) I thought it was a metal plate, but it's a sticker. So, for that matter, is the "750 Liquid Cooled" medallion that's currently on the stock airbox. You're supposed to "carefully remove and discard" the original medallion, then peel & stick the new one in its place. Well, heck, if I could carefully remove the original, I should be able to just stick that right on the VO2, right? Er, not so much. And so, I don't think the Screamin' Eagle medallion idea will work either.

The genius in Unaclocker's approach is that by slicing off the front of the airbox, you're retaining the physical plate that the medallion attaches to, which makes for a physical cover. If you were to try to do what I was thinking of, just sticking the medallion over the face of the VO2, then you'd be covering up the three mounting screws that bolt the filter to the bike, probably not a great idea. That's no problem in Unaclocker's approach, as removing the center bolt will remove the cover and then you have access to the filter mounting bolts. But with the peel 'n' stick, that means to get at those bolts, you're probably going to have to destroy the medallion. Meh.

So, it's back to square 1, finding someone with actual mechanical skill to properly snick off that cover faceplate from the original stock air cleaner box, and bolting that to the V&H air filter. On the other hand, for those who would want the Screamin' Eagle logo on their bike, you could always apply it exactly the same way as you would have otherwise, since that same mounting faceplate will be there.
UnaClocker likes this.
post #9 of 16 Old 09-06-2016, 08:51 PM

Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Garage
The Willie G skull cover might work. Its not a peel and stick. I has a 5 finger bracket you bolt on and then 5 screws that attach the medallion cover to that bracket. I ended up buying another housing cover so I wouldn't have to peel the stock one off. So now I have two housing covers. One stock and one to switch out medallions. If I decide to get a VO2 filter, I'll have a sacrificial housing to carve up.
Gaijin likes this.
post #10 of 16 Old 09-07-2016, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo750owner View Post
The Willie G skull cover might work. Its not a peel and stick. I has a 5 finger bracket you bolt on and then 5 screws that attach the medallion cover to that bracket.
VERY interesting! I looked up the installation instructions and yes, that seems like it might indeed work perfectly. I like the design, but I love the "dark custom" look of the Street, so I'm not so sure I want to put that much chrome on the engine. Looking it up, they do actually offer some other choices that would likely work just as well, including a "dark custom" badge with the stylized "1" and skull face, a plain black cover that says "harley davidson" on it, and a chrome version of that same "harley davidson" plain cover, as well as the Willie G. Prices on most of them are a lot lower than a V&H Skull Cap too, especially from someplace like BoardTracker; the Willie G and the plain caps are about $39 there, and the Dark Custom is $67. V&H's Skull Caps seem to be around $80.

Thanks for the suggestion! I think I'll try the Unaclocker approach first, as I've already got the spare airbox cover so it's free, but if that doesn't work out, I'm delighted to know that there may be some other options besides just the Skull Cap. I don't KNOW that they'll work, but it sure looks from the installation instructions like it's reasonable to think that it might work.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page