$60 removable windshield - Slipstreamer Spitfire - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 09-16-2016, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
$60 removable windshield - Slipstreamer Spitfire

Forgot how I stumbled across this, it was probably on this forum somewhere. Anyway, I've been looking for a windscreen for longer trips. Love the "naked" look of the Street, but the wind blast gets pretty tedious at 70mph for any length of time. So I wanted a screen that could be installed and removed easily.

The Harley windshield is $320, and makes you remove the cowl. So that was right out.

I'd been looking at the National Cycle DX, that seemed perfect - about 1/3 the cost of the Harley, and you could keep your cowl. But it hasn't been in stock anywhere in 7/8" bar size, so I never got to ordering it.

So, as mentioned before, I stumbled across the Slipstreamer Spitfire. I found it for $60.13 on Amazon, with free shipping. And it had 281 reviews with an average of four out of five stars. So I figured - how far wrong can I go?

Ordered it. Installed it in about 10 minutes. It looks reasonably big (actually a little bigger than the National Cycle DX), but very appropriately-sized. The mounting hardware fits tightly, using rubber spacers (included) to make the 1" clamps fit the 7/8" bars, which - who knows, might even turn out to be a bit of a bonus, as maybe it might reduce some vibration. The combination of the rods and clamps gives you the ability to adjust the height and rake. And removing the screen is a case of loosening two hand-tight wingnuts and pulling it right off.

Seems promising - especially for only $60! (edit: Amazon now lists it at $67.43; when I ordered it a week ago it was $60.13). I've got a road trip next month, will report back on how it actually performs. As for now, this is what it looks like:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg windshield-1.jpg (234.1 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg windshield-3.jpg (403.2 KB, 130 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-05-2016, 09:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks for sharing! Could you confirm that this is part number S-06C?
post #3 of 11 Old 10-05-2016, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Looks kind of similar to my Memphis Shades, except the MS is more rounded. Sure is nice to be able to tuck down under hard rain or debris while on the highway.

post #4 of 11 Old 10-05-2016, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Got any more pics of the bike from a bit further away, front on view? Looks like a good bargain.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-07-2016, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nollid51 View Post
Got any more pics of the bike from a bit further away, front on view? Looks like a good bargain.
Here's two more photos, after I modified the placement.

My first test showed an increased noise level due to wind buffeting -- if I stood on the pegs, I could get my head up out of the wind buffeting zone and it was quieter. So I've been experimenting with positioning, trying to adjust he height and angle to find some magic position that eliminates the wind rumble noise. No luck yet -- and having searched google extensively for windshield buffeting, it seems like I'm in extremely wide company.

But, while experimenting with positioning, I found that I could actually fit it *behind* the cowl, rather than on top of it like I had before. This might give a sleeker/more intentional look, and it definitely hides the "SPIT FIRE" sticker that is on the front of the shield. However, the rake is too steep in this position, so ... I'm still experimenting. I may try cutting a vent in it to let some air flow to fill in the backpressure; currently in its behind-the-cowl position it's kept very vertical by the speedometer. If I cut out a vent notch that lets the speedometer through, it should be able to angle down some more. The instructions say the ideal placement would be about the same angle as the forks on a standard motorcycle. As you can see by the latest pic, the angle is quite a bit more vertical.

But for $60, it's still a steal. Even more of a steal now that apparently the same seller has dropped the price to under $50, including free shipping.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg windshield-4.jpg (158.2 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg windshield-5.jpg (145.2 KB, 77 views)
nollid51 likes this.
post #6 of 11 Old 10-07-2016, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalrunner1 View Post
Thanks for sharing! Could you confirm that this is part number S-06C?
Yes, that's the model number that was listed in the amazon description when I ordered it. It includes hardware that fits 1" bars, with a rubber insert that adapts them to 7/8" bars.
jackalrunner1 likes this.
post #7 of 11 Old 10-18-2016, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Just got mine. Thanks for the tip. Looking forward to this screen cutting some wind as it gets colder!
post #8 of 11 Old 10-19-2016, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks for the extra pics!

2016 Street 750
post #9 of 11 Old 10-20-2016, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I'd like to snag one of these too... I don't like the batwing windshields on some of the bigger brother Harleys, or the one Harley offers for ours, it is way expensive and it looks unpleasing to the eye... Plus its HD +$300... I wonder if they have it in tinted or a smoke color...

2001 Kawasaki ZX-6R Ninja (RIP)
2016 Harley Davidson Street 750 (modded)

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (10 sec baby)
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (High 12 tugboat)
post #10 of 11 Old 10-20-2016, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I just checked, without the "C" standing for "clear" on spitfire, they have SMK or smoke, CHR for Chrome, etc etc... they have jumped up in price I haven't seen one here for less than $50 as someone said... cheapest one is $54.48 without shipping... as of 10/20/2016

2001 Kawasaki ZX-6R Ninja (RIP)
2016 Harley Davidson Street 750 (modded)

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (10 sec baby)
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (High 12 tugboat)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page