LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 03-21-2017, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Question Air filter choice

I have been looking at the V&H Vo2 & K&N AirCharger Air Intake...I currently have the HD-4915 installed and don't have any issues with it but I think I can get a little more HP with either of the other filters. Is there a significant performance difference between the two? The K&N is more expensive than the V&H...What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-21-2017, 08:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I have a V&H VO2 installed on mine. While I haven't tried any other filters other than the stock filter, I definitely can tell a difference in performance. You can hear the filter gulping air when you start your bike and, oddly enough, it gave my exhaust a deeper tone. If you get a V&H VO2 make sure you order a rain sock for it, because you never know when you might get caught in rain. You can order one from Outerwears, Inc. for $12.95

Here is a direct link to the rain sock on their website, because it is difficult to find on there. Their website isn't the most user friendly lol. https://www.outerwears.com/proddetail.asp?prod=20-3060
NightWolf5 likes this.
post #3 of 3 Old 03-22-2017, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Here's my review of the V&H VO2 on a Street:
https://www.hdstreetforums.com/forum/...must-have.html

I love love love it, other than it being butt-ugly, but you'll see at the bottom of the thread that I think I solved that problem rather nicely. Now I not only love it, I frickin' love it.

I have nothing against the K&N; I've never used it, so I'm not knocking it, just reporting on my experience with the V&H.

One thing I never noticed, but now really do, is how sleek the VO2 is. The stock airbox looks like a tumor on the side of the engine to me now, as compared to the VO2.

K&N posted a chart showing up to about a 6.7hp gain from using just their AirCharger - no exhaust change, no retune. Not only that, but they also posted a 6.1 ft/lb torque gain. That's a pretty big boost from just an intake change, but after experiencing the VO2, I think it's reasonable. With just the intake change alone, that makes up all the torque difference and half the horsepower difference that the new Street Rod offers.

As far as choosing between these two intake kits -- I don't see how there's going to be a performance difference between them; either one solves the main problem which is that the stock airbox has a tiny little hole it lets air into. Both the VO2 and the K&N have large-diameter pipes that are as big as the Street can accept, so -- there's really not any way to get more air in, without going to a forced-induction kit like a supercharger or turbo. If there's any performance difference it'd have to be from a freer-flowing air filter element, but both companies know how to make free-flowing air filter elements so I doubt there's any significant difference.

In the end, I decided on the VO2 over the K&N for a few reasons:
1) I didn't like the big, obvious, glaring look of the K&N; even though it does look exactly like the Lowrider S, I just didn't like it. I hated the look of the VO2, but in this thread I learned it was possible to make it look much better, so I went with it.
2) It's a lower price, about $50 less expensive.
3) Vance & Hines is the company Harley turned to when they wanted to get maximum performance from the XG750 engine, when they had them build the XG750R flat-tracker racer. I figured they probably knew how to get some good power out of my bike's engine, and being less expensive and (potentially) better looking, that sealed the deal.

If you prefer the look of the K&N, by all means get it, I think it's likely a very fine product and will give all the performance benefits it claims.

Quote:
oddly enough, it gave my exhaust a deeper tone
Agreed. It sounds fantastic, especially when you have to go WOT, it growls like an angry tiger.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page