Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

XG750 sidecar

54K views 198 replies 13 participants last post by  Ogbob 
#1 ·
So it starts. I have decided to mount a sidecar on a 2015 XG Street. I have measured things up and don't see it being that big a deal.
Raked tree is some thing I will decide on after I test it. I will be looking at maybe using a Street Rod tree.
Steering stabilizer will like be added
The side car will be a Vilorex 563. With windshield removed.
Most like will be winter work , however if time allows I will star on it sooner.

#4 ·
I'm looking forward to your reports on this. The more I learn about sidecars the more I want one for late and early season riding, although that's going to be a year or two down the road.
After the initial installation is it difficult or time consuming to take the sidecar off and reinstall?
What draws you to the Velorex 563 as opposed to the slightly lighter 562?

On another thread you mentioned the 563 has a slightly larger wheel. What is the significance of that? Is that desireable due to reduced rolling resistance? Maybe it makes for easier alignment with the tug?

#5 ·
If can make a difference in mounting the sidecare if heights are closer it is easier. I will likely make some changes . The 563 has a spoke wheel .
I should be able to fit a bearing to a XG rim that will allow me to use an XG front wheel.
Height of the tire has no impact on roll . Width does and side does not need a wide wheel. As I go through this I will try to past on experiences and what I have learned about them.
On my fatboy I did not need a raked tree the street stabilizer work fine. I am hoping for the same results with the XG.
This is the bike it will be matted to. 2015 XG750 with 600 miles on it. In a few weeks I will get it in the bike room and start figuring out the mount points.

#8 ·
Sidecar have there own leaning curve. The do require building so new inherent riding skills. But nothing most can not do. They are not a car and they are not a motorcycle.
As for mounting I think most with some mechanical skills can get it done. You get it as close as you can to instructions then work on fine tuning it.
As this goes along I will try to cover that and explain why I am doing some of what I do.
I want to keep stock exhaust on it. It should be out of the way and no need for a loud pipe blowing the riders ears out.
The 2015 XG750 has an interesting rake to the front end. I am planning to try a steering stabilizer first and avoid a raked tree.

#10 · (Edited)
Hoping this weekend to lay out lines on the floor to measure off of. The side car wheel needs to be ahead of the center of the bikes rear wheel. The sidecar will need about a 3/4 inch toe in and the bike a 1 degree chant toward side car. Having good lines to measure off of makes it a lot easier.
This is a project that if time was important , it could be done in a day but lot going on right now. Also I have a 9 year old grandson that will be helping so need to work around when he will be here.
Been kind of lazy this summer bike room is a mess. Stuff needs to be moved around to make room.

For those taking notes:
The 1 degree chant is so that when you get on the bike it returns to straight up. One of the things you may tweak a bit once everything is mounted up.
Without the sidecar wheel being properly ahead of the bike rear wheel you would not be able to turn.
Toe is something you may very well adjust a little also .

#11 ·
Any thoughts on gearing smitty? I seem to remember old Brit sidecar tugs mainly ran with a 19 tooth gearbox sprocket rather than the usual 21.

Still trying to remember the sidecar law of cornering, left hand bends you ride around the chair, and on right handers you throttle off, and let the chair ride around you. That's in England anyway. Other way around for you guys who ride on the wrong side of the road.

#12 · (Edited)
Older bikes were grossly under powered. With modern machine gearing is fine . With a six speed or a 5 speed if you need to just drop a gear you will still be going fast enough to get a ticket.
The sidecar I am mounting to the XG750 is commonly mounted on older BMW with far less power. It is also mount on to older Sportster's.
As we go along with the install we can get into to tail and the front end.
I have one mounted on a 1996 Fatboy Harley EVO. It has been on it 3 years now. That bike was never confused with an over powered bike. It has a 5 speed . Even when I need to drop to 4th it will run 70 plus and will run at 65 Mph all day long if need be.
About the only time I need to use 4th is a long steel grade, or a very strong head wind. Sidecar windshield on or off makes a big difference.

This is a good read for you
Motorvation Engineering Sidecar Operation Manual

#20 · (Edited)
Sidecar and bike are in the bike room. That is step one to start the install. Need to move a few things around. Lay out some lines on the floor. Line the bike and side car up and figure out if I am making my own mounts or buying some from DMC that will give me a head start. What DMC offers is not a simple bolt on but some of the work is done for you.

#36 ·
... figure out if I am making my own mounts or buying some from DMC that will give me a head start. What DMC offers is not a simple bolt on but some of the work is done for you.
What are your final thoughts on the DMC kit? How much of it did you actually use?

#22 ·
Next build a Jig. Not required But I have learn it saves time in the long run and makes things easier. Goal here is to get it lined up Sidecar frame and bike frame 12 inch apart, sidecar tire 8-10 inches in front or bikes rear tire. At this time no toe is set. I will then start some trial and error designs for mounts. Toe and cant get set in latter. Once all limed up the board for the Jig will be attached so the can not move.

Attachments

#28 ·
We have progress today. All 4 mounts are Good to go. One will need painting but that is minor stuff. It is ready to come off the Jig and move outside. Brake pedal clears but I plan to Modify that a bit.

Front upper and lower
100_2287 by bob smith, on Flickr

Rear upper
100_2288 by bob smith, on Flickr

Rear lower can be seen in the middle good angles on the upper supports.

100_2289 by bob smith, on Flickr

#29 · (Edited)
It is finished. Post the pictures tomorrow. Felt like working on it some more this even and it was worth it . Just got back from a nice ride. Handel's well, ran it up to 75 MPH and it was smooth as it can be. Need to Modify the brake pedal a bit. Run it some and tighten everything again.
Brisk 30 degrees F this morning. The new hack will take a nice ride into town. There are a couple that said it can't be done, they will buy coffee today. Put down the cell phones, turn off the tablets.
Get your hands dirty . It is great starting from an idea in your head working around the road blocks and making it happen.
I will post during the next riding season more on the longer term results of the project. Have some ideas for installing larger battery, more lights. Pictures latter today.

#34 ·
No forks are fine sidecar put little weight on them This is a Street XG750 not a Street rod they sit a little different.
Had it cruising at 80 MPH today. Just to test it I would not recommend that your first time out with a sidecar. They have a learning curve.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.