• 2 Post By Kurt

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 11-20-2017, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Lights, Camera, Commute...

Now for a different kind of street fighter, one that uses photons...

I commute year-round, including after dark, lane splitting down 280 in San Jose. A truly terrifying thing to do, but it gets me home in half the time.

So I added major lights to the bike, to supplement the modestly louder SE pipes.

This is the third bike I have done this light mod to. That top case just moves from bike to bike.

My reasoning is it's all about the light triangle, the lights are chosen to maximize surface area, and are as far apart as is practical, to make the motorcycle look larger and easier to see.

Those DRL's technically belong on a mercedes, and have an 'L' shape, but they don't look as cool as I was hoping for. I fabricated some aluminum brackets to mount them on the crash bars.

The rear lights are custom-wired semi-truck pedestal lights. The rear facing reds (upper pair) are running/brake. The lower pair are amber and are dual facing turns and forward facing running lights (you can see two sets of ambers facing forward) in the pics.

Basically I get huge bright brake/turns/running lights, and the DRL's make a great light triangle for the front.

Cost is small (the GIVI case is by far the most expensive bit), but two days of hard work, fabricating aluminum and wiring is tedious at best.

This is the second major mod (suspension was first), the last big things will be heated grips and a gear-indicator/tachometer, and I am considering a Batwing fairing.

I enjoy the mods, will be sorry when the bike is done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171120_184456_small.jpg (55.3 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 20171120_184434_small.jpg (25.5 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 20171120_180354_small.jpg (104.7 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 20171120_180310_small.jpg (106.8 KB, 49 views)
madmike and PugslyCat like this.

Last edited by Kurt; 11-20-2017 at 10:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-23-2017, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
nice work, dam good idea {mine too}

madmike norfolk va 2015 street 500, 2009 yamaha vino

Last edited by madmike; 11-23-2017 at 06:56 AM.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-28-2017, 04:48 PM

Location: Southwest Iowa with more than a little time spent in Ames
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
That's a great job you have done as far as seeing and being seen! Standing out from the other lights, or at least not getting lost in them, is something I have to give some more thought to, as you obviously have done.

I had been casually considering an LED headlight or driving lights since the end of daylight savings time. Most of my drive is on busy enough roads that I'm actually seeing more from other peoples headlights than my own. Headed home from work last night I found myself alone on a dimly lit city street. It was appalling how little the illuminated patch of road ahead really was.

Paul
Central and SW Iowa
2016 xg750

post #4 of 4 Old 11-30-2017, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
On LED headlights:

There are three categories of LED headlights out there: garbage, Daymaker-caliber, and the JW Speaker 8690A adaptive headlight.

I originally bought one of the $75 WiiPro LED headlights, as it was claimed to be so much better than stock. Meh. It was blue light instead of orange, but it wasn't really any "better". Most of the light was concentrated in a big square in front of the bike, so driving down the road you see a great big bright square about, oh, five feet x five feet, and then *some* light elsewhere. I was really disappointed.

My current bike has a Daymaker on it, a genuine Harley Daymaker, and it's literally night and day better. It's for real, it lights up the night.

But it still doesn't compare to the JW Speaker 8690A. That thing is supernal. It brightens the night just like the Daymaker, but the "adaptive" part is the fun part. It adapts to your lean angle, bringing up additional light to fill in the corners you're headed to. I loved it. It stayed on the bike when I traded it in (dealer insisted). But it was great. Tremendously expensive ($500 off ebay) but if you want a brilliant headlight, I can highly recommend it as the best headlight on the market.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page