Commuter build is done, Batwing, Case, Lights, Suspension - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

2Likes
  • 2 Post By Kurt

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 12-09-2017, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Commuter build is done, Batwing, Case, Lights, Suspension

My build is done, at least the visible parts, the Batwing was the last part, and it went on this morning. Here are some pics of my Harley Street 750 commuter build.

- Memphis Shades Batwing fairing is the main aesthetic, combined with OEM crash bars to give that classic Harley look. Hardest part of the fairing install was the turn signal relocation, the plastic parts didn't quite fit, some shaping and silicone sealant to the rescue.
- top case (GIVI V46NT), but no side cases, narrow is best for lane splitting.
- light triangle up front, L-Shaped DRL's mounted to crash bars with custom fabricated aluminum (painted black) brackets.
- light triangle in the rear, 3" truck pedestal lights mounted in a givi case, give huge bright running/brake/turns. Case and lights chosen to be slightly less wide than the bars, again for lane splitting.
- second set of mirrors for 360 degree awareness, mounted high for panoramic over-the-shoulder view. OEM mirrors used as blind-spot mirrors.
- Progressive 12 13.5" rear shocks in beautiful black, with 70/120 springs for cushy suspension for a lightweight rider like myself.
- AirHawk Cruiser R small inflatable seat cushion for even cushier ride (the ride is still a bit rough, but worlds better than stock).
- Rupse TPMS (chinese cheapo, seem to work well enough).
- All electrical work uses waterproof automotive connectors and engine-compartment-grade high-temperature automotive electrical tape for the most professional job I could manage.

Still to come are some electronic gizmos, like gear indicator and heated grips, but they won't affect the look so it's time for pics.

Enjoy:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171209_151246_small.jpg (130.3 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg 20171209_151237_small.jpg (128.1 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpg 20171209_151229_small.jpg (142.1 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpg 20171209_151219_small.jpg (139.2 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg 20171203_194048_small.jpg (61.2 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg 20171120_184434_small.jpg (25.5 KB, 154 views)
Solo750owner and Kartweeler like this.

Last edited by Kurt; 12-09-2017 at 10:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-10-2017, 01:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Wow Kurt! Badazz.
I am wondering about how the headlight works with the wing. Do you have any reflective shine on the inside of the wing?
Do you have any more info on the signal relocation? I am thinking of having a local shop install the batwing.
Thanks for the cool pics on your nice ride!
post #3 of 9 Old 12-10-2017, 03:02 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Garage
Well done Kurt. A design well thought out, specific to your requirements.

2015 Street 750 Vivid Black

post #4 of 9 Old 12-10-2017, 05:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Looks good.
post #5 of 9 Old 12-11-2017, 04:32 PM

Location: Southwest Iowa with more than a little time spent in Ames
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
It's good to see that your are refitting the bike to suit the mission you are using it for. Too many people seem to look at these bikes and dismiss them because they aren't exactly suited to that mission as it sits on the showroom floor.

I'm new to motorcycles, having purchased the XG as my first bike at the beginning of this year. I'm fascinated by how much they can be personalized to meet the specific needs of an individual. Not being as new to internet forums, I'm not amazed by how many people make posts about however somebody chooses to spend their own money modifying their own bike is wrong.

The extra set of mirrors stood out in your post about the lights, but thought I must be imagining it. Thanks for explaining them. It's an odd look, but whatever works. The stock mirrors are hardly a beloved feature of these bikes.

That earlier post on the extra lights really struck a cord with me. If I were on southern California freeways like you I would want all of that and a rotating beacon atop my helmet. Those lights are a bit of over kill for my commute on rural interstate highways, but did cause me to reflect on how riding a blacked out bike wearing a black touring jacket at night probably wasn't my best idea. Your post inspired me to add reflectors to the saddle bags and start shopping for a hi-viz jacket. I'm also upgrading from bulbs to LED lighting as fast as I can do so.

The Memphis Shades batwing fairing is something I want for my bike, mostly because we deal with a lot of wind in the Midwest. My understanding is that the mounting of the Memphis Shades batwing fairing isn't all that difficult. Loosely mount the brackets until you get the fairing latched into them and then tighten everything down. My local independent mechanic doesn't seem to think it's a very sturdy mounting system, but the several people on the forum with these haven't remarked about that. Does the mounting seem sturdy to you?

The turn signal relocation sounds to be the daunting part. The YouTube videos I have seen talk like removing or at least loosening the fuel tank is required so that the wiring can be rerouted. It doesn't sound difficult, just more than this lazy guy wants to do. I'm considering having the previously mentioned independent mechanic do it or have it done as part of my 10K scheduled maintenance. What are your thoughts on that part of the installation?

Paul
Central and SW Iowa
2016 xg750
post #6 of 9 Old 12-11-2017, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I didn't need to fiddle with the tank for the turn relo. Having been there I can't imagine why they say that.

I did cut a little bit of the electrical tape at the end of the wiring harness to give a bit more slack, this would be the end at the top of the steering column, in retrospect I don't think that was necessary, but if it was, lots easier than raising the tank. Once done the wires were long enough as-is. What I originally tried to do was use the stock mounts and move them lower, the wires are not long enough for that, the relo kit is needed.

As far as mounting sturdiness, well it's strong enough. I've seen some pretty big fairings with 4 mount points before so I wasn't worried about it.

Motos are infinitely personalizable, some people ride stock, I think that crowd can flip bikes more easily.

And some people obsess over every detail. I see sport riders going on and on about suspension and tires and clip-ons for example. My needs were different.

I actually like obsessing over things, working with my hands and customizing things is fun for me. My mods are generally designed to be reversed with minimum fuss too (the whole flip thing).
post #7 of 9 Old 12-27-2017, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
@PugslyCat It's much cheaper to buy a high-viz vest that you can wear over your jacket at night. I don't ride at night very often at all, but I keep one in a ziploc bag in my saddle bag just in case. Also good if you get stuck somewhere and have to walk down the road at night, although I hope that never happens.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-04-2018, 11:40 AM

Location: Southwest Iowa with more than a little time spent in Ames
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by happydaze View Post
It's much cheaper to buy a high-viz vest that you can wear over your jacket at night.
Over the holidays I started to figure out much the same thing. Even some reflective arm and leg bands and a little reflective tape on the back of the helmet would be cheaper and an all season solution.

Paul
Central and SW Iowa
2016 xg750
post #9 of 9 Old 01-04-2018, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage
Interesting.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page