A few Q's about Apes, Forward Controls and DIY fitting - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 04-05-2018, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
TBJ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question A few Q's about Apes, Forward Controls and DIY fitting

Hi all,
first off I apologize for the beginner basic repetitive questions
I'm looking at a new street 500, I rode one with 12" Apes and Forward Controls (don't know the brand or either) and really felt like I fit on it unlike the stock bike, so I want to get my own, the only problem is I have received a quote for what I want done and pipes and it came to the cost of more than half the bike new and I cant really afford to do that for mods straight out of buying a new bike for mods I need to ride the bike comfortably and not cramped, and thought I might give it a go myself, now I've not done much on bikes at all, so firstly I'm wondering what is a good quality forward controls? and how difficult it is to install, what tools etc., secondly what is a good set of 12"-14" Z-Apes? and how difficult are they to install, can I re-use my original grips, controls and wires(assuming I need new longer wires as they seem too short to go another 12"-14") if not what do I need can I do it myself?
Sorry for all this basic stuff, I'm new to bikes and this will be my first bike.
Also any links would be much appreciated.

thanks

P.S- I'm from AUS hence the reason I can't buy a bigger bike that fits me better like an older sportster or softail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-05-2018, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Hello Aussie,

Good quality forward controls are pricey. If you look at Free Spirits website, you'll see their ones coming in at an eye watering 689 Euros, ex tax. I'm sure someone (can't remember who) mentioned forwards from Thailand which were cheaper, you'll have to search the site.

While you're on Free Spirits site, scroll down the Forwards page and you'll see the fitting instructions. The fitting won't vary much regardless of who makes the forwards, so you'll be able to work out if you feel confident to carry out the work.

12 - 14" apes, prices vary, so whatever your budget and as long as they are 7/8" diameter, they'll be ok. Fitting them is dead simple, however that's half the story. You will need extended throttle cables, clutch cable, electrical extensions for the handle bar wiring, assuming Harley do them, and last but not least an extended front brake line. You'll need to be able to bleed the front brake after fitting the new brake line, unless you have ABS, then brake bleeding is a dealer only task ()

As for tools, all the fixings on the Street/Rod are metric, so a decent socket set, combination spanners, allen keys, pliers etc are a good start. Don't buy cheap tools, they're cheap for a reason, that reason being they're sh*te

None of the jobs, in my opinion, are particularly difficult, but my opinion counts for jack sh*t of course. Your opinion is the only one that matters. Enjoy
post #3 of 4 Old 04-09-2018, 04:24 AM Thread Starter
TBJ

(Thread Starter)
Cheers, thanks very much for your help

post #4 of 4 Old 05-28-2018, 07:13 AM

New bike purchased from harley heaven western Sydney
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20180528-190721_1527502376291.jpg (341.3 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20180528-190712_1527502398198.jpg (362.4 KB, 95 views)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page