• 1 Post By ab8127542

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 05-15-2018, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
LED lighted mirrior install

thought i'd share my mirror mod. always liked these style mirrors, and like them even better on the street, which HD did NOT intend for them to be compatable with. Took some wiring mods about 300$, but the mirrors are genuine HD and so is all the equipment I used. I like them on the street vs their intened application simply because on the dynas, CVOs, and everything they're set up for, wiring is external and it looks tacky to me. These are ran entirely through the handle bars, and they double as turn signals. I did a delete on the original housings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mirror2.jpg (34.8 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg Mirror1.jpg (244.8 KB, 61 views)
PugslyCat likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-15-2018, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Very cool. Looks to solve the poor stock mirror visibility as well.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-16-2018, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Garage
looks pretty sharp.

post #4 of 7 Old 05-16-2018, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Yeah the viewing range is incredible honestly.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 7 Old 05-16-2018, 04:58 PM

Location: Southwest Iowa with more than a little time spent in Ames
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Definitely a cool mod and a useful one. Can you give us some details on the wiring mods? Any problems you ran into along the way?

Paul
Central and SW Iowa
2016 xg750
post #6 of 7 Old 05-16-2018, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Yeah of course. HD P/N: 92068-08A. A little research will reveal an identical mirror kit, except in chrome, if your into that. Not a chrome guy, infact deleted my chrome entirely, shocks and all.

Anyway, most of us probably know, when you pull your old mirrors off, you'll notice predrilled holes in the bars to allow the thread of the stock mirrors and get them seated properly. These mirror feed wiring through the bottom of the shaft-- or mirror threads I should say, feeding the power source directly, and blindly, into the handle bars. Which is unique vs other HD models that bolt the mirrors on through a clutch/brake unit. This alows us to hide the wiring on the street.

I drilled a hole on the bottom of the bars, directly between the two handle bar mounting brackets, and used a wire grommet to keep the edges from scaring the wires. Like 1$. got some rolled wiring and solder, shrink tubing, electrical tape and other here and there's. Traced the wiring back through main harness (after removing the tank, or setting it aside. I never disconnected fuel lines). Was able to simply set it to the side. Went about halfway down the frame, identifying the turn signal wiring from the stock assemblies, and cut in just before the seat mount. The kit comes with converters that feed the running lights and turn signal lights into one wire. It powers the mirrors and simply dims and brightens the mirror LEDS to achieve signaling status. I SOLDERED, and wouldn't choose any other method, the entire kit into the harness. Used the HD zipties included in the kit, and shrink tubing, used my rolled wires to run to the kit on the frame from the mirrors.

Actually spent a whole day doing this, blindly. YOU HAVE TO HAVE A ELECTRONIC/LED turn signal flasher. My entire bike is LED except my main headlight. You definitely get rapid flash otherwise.

The entire project took an understanding of wiring, patience, and love. But I'd challenge and HD tech without prior knowledge to the bike to argue it's an aftermarket mod. Really. No exposed wiring, HD wire tied, shrink tubing. It's so perfect it almost looks stock. Wish I had more pictures. If someone actually orders the kit and goes after it, I'd pull my tank and take photos. Just DM me.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Last edited by ab8127542; 05-16-2018 at 05:27 PM.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-19-2018, 01:18 PM

Garage
Pretty slick. I'd definitely want to do that one day.

"I could do this all day...."

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page