Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

Fuel gauge

17K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  amirbp 
#1 ·
Has anyone attempted to install a fuel gauge? If so what was the result and what parts did you use?

#2 ·
I am really interested in this and was hoping Willie G would make one suitable for our bikes, but sadly NO. The Street range is growing popularity and it makes sense to homogenise the various offering so all bikes can benefit.

The lack of a fuel gauge on its own is not the biggest issue, but from a comfort perspective it would be helpful to know.

#3 ·
A lack of fuel gauge really doesn't bother me that much - in fact when I have had them on previous bikes I have found them to be a little unreliable.

I would be interested to know though if anyone has tested how far a 750 Street will travel from when the low fuel light flashes to when it actually runs out of fuel!

Any volunteers? lol

#4 ·
Well, it's a price point bike, so they would have to figure out something pretty inexpensive. I really mean cheap like the mechanical float the turns the dial in my lawn mower gauge.

You might want to keep an eye out for an aftermarket gauge built into the gas cap. I see some of those at J & P Cycles, but nothing that says it fits the Streets.

#10 ·
Fuel guage
Easy as
Went to local marine shop bought a tank sender modified it to fit check ohm resistance
Pull fuel pump out ( I’ll let you work out how to get sender to the fuel cap side of tank )

The sender has two wires one goes to earth on fuel pump the other goes too the
white wire which is connnected to the
factory yellow which is the fuel light
Easy as and it’s very accurate So much better than a stupid light.
I ride 3-4 hundred km a week end i need a guage
Any question ask away

Attachments

#14 ·
Well, I have finished to install a gauge, I have used for gauge

Moeller Marine - Medidor de combustible montado en el tablero eléctrico (33 a 240 ohmios) https://www.amazon.com.mx/dp/B000MTI16E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_X7dGDbFH4NS8G

And for the sender I used a 4"

WEMA USA SSS Fuel/Water Level... https://www.amazon.com.mx/dp/B00Y831J6Y?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I have uninstalled the tank (https://youtu.be/kY8Nn54pRos good tutorial), and then installed the fuel pump, then modified the sender by triming the sides as seen in the pictures, for making it easier I Super glued a nut to the hole and managed to pick it up with a nail (this step is tricky), then added some extra wire and soldered Black to Black and White(red) to white, after that closed again the pump, then made a quick connection on yellow wire on external conector to get the signal, (recommend to get out the 5amp fuse battery), get gnd from speedometer black/green cable and ignition from red/orange cable, connect everything, get back fuel tank and vuala!, Also you can take the yellow cable from speedometer, You can see wiring diagrams for your model, I will tell you tomorrow if it's necessary to unplug yellow cable from speedometer, sorry for the broken English, I'm from Mexico, any questions you can contact me

Attachments

#15 ·
So, it was necessary to unplug the white yellow cable from speedometer to avoid having fuel light on all time, also if you don't want it to be on at all time it has to be connected on red/yellow for ignition and not to red orange as I said yesterday, with this work is done

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.