post #1 of 12 Old 08-12-2018, 02:56 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Electrical Accessories

Hi guys,
I have a 750 to which I am hoping to add a couple of electrical gadgets i.e. sat nav and radio. I was wondering if anyone had done a similar thing and if so where did you wire it to?

I have found a permanent live connection under the seat and a suitable earthing point but was hoping that I could find a live connection that is only live when the ignition is on - any ideas?

I have been looking on-line for a pdf service manual which would likely give some indication of what wires to use but cant seem to find anything for the street.

Thanks in advance.

Botty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-12-2018, 04:20 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Plenty of sites offering pdf manuals for all Harley models including the Street. They will all be pirated editions though, so I won't include links as the mods will remove asp.

They all seem to include wiring diagrams to allow you to tap into the acc. power feed should you feel like it.

Personally I used the following item on my Street Rod and Sporty;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?url=searc...2C+bike%2C+ATV

The lead is fused and the USB socket cap is a good weather proof fit. It attaches to the battery terminals but in reality, so what? if you don't leave anything plugged in although the USB socket will be live, it won't be a draw on the battery to any noticeable effect compared to say the security system.

With the way bikes are set up now, and all the demands placed on the battery as soon as you switch the bike on they all really need to be kept on battery tenders year round unless you ride everyday whatever the weather.
Botty likes this.
post #3 of 12 Old 08-12-2018, 05:54 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for your reply - I have searched but can't find a link for a manual!

I have a battery tender lead, this was installed by the dealer but I am looking at leaving a radio on my bike and don't really want to be disconnecting cables.

Will continue searching for a workshop manual.

Cheers

Botty

post #4 of 12 Old 08-12-2018, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The R/GY (red/gray) wire going to the 5 amp fuse for ACC is switched and will activate when the ignition is turned to ON or ACC. Drawing power from this wire will not be fused. This info works for a 2016 xg750.
Propnut, Bryan Parker and Botty like this.
post #5 of 12 Old 08-14-2018, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I ended up throwing a Kicker audio system on my bike, was pretty easy. Used an add a fuse adapter to get two fuses on one for the accessory, mounted the amp under the seat and speakers on the bars. The other option is to tap into an accessory line as DanIII suggested, and send it to a no87 relay and forward that on to your devices.

"St Barbara of the Artillery Corp - Be at the bursting of the doors of doom, And in the dark deliver us"
post #6 of 12 Old 08-17-2018, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Electrical Accessories (Botty )

The way I see it, if you can afford a Harley, you can afford to fork over for a manual.....
post #7 of 12 Old 08-18-2018, 02:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for your input, have found them on-line in USA but postage is almost as expensive as the book. Fully intend to buy one when I can get one but unfortunately they are not freely available in the UK for the 2018 model - hence I was asking for advice in the meantime.

It is worth considering also that not everyone has vast sums of disposable income available to them to purchase boys toys on a whim. Some people who are unemployed through no fault of their own, retired or on low income have saved hard and put aside other desires so that they are able to fulfill a dream that has been with them for most of their lives. They then hope that from time to time, instead of having to return to the dealer to have minor adjustments made on their machines, that they can ask others who may have come across similar issues for help.

I obviously wrongly thought that this was what a forum of this nature was for, hence I joined - perhaps I am wrong and sorry for having asked.

Botty

Last edited by Botty; 08-18-2018 at 03:25 AM.
post #8 of 12 Old 08-18-2018, 03:48 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Garage
No Botty you are spot on. I am one of the retired types that live in a country where the currency is dropping in value daily. Buying anything in $ is a disaster as $15:1ZAR is a realistic way of calculating the actual value. I have found this forum valuable in that members give advice and information freely, and all you have to do is evaluate the information or advice and see it it can fit into your idea or problem.

I did not use the UK Pound Botty as it is 20:1 and that is at the limit of my fingers for calculating and values.
Botty likes this.

2015 Street 750 Vivid Black
post #9 of 12 Old 08-19-2018, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Well I am sort of retired - been unemployed for 10 years - absolutely no jobs around here for over 50's so took my private pension early otherwise I would have had no money - can't claim benefits as my Mrs works part time

The last job I applied for there was 186 applicants - don't have much hope really.

So it took me a while to get the funds for a HD. I am just saving up now for some fuel so I can use it !!!

Take care

Botty
post #10 of 12 Old 08-25-2018, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Ok Botty, yuh got me......
After reading your response to my suggestion of "forking over for a manual", you made me reflect. My wording WAS insensitive........I apologize (as well as to 'Propnut').
The fact that those of us who choose to ride an HD definitely demonstrates that we are not cheap individuals. Nor does it mean that we have money to burn.
You're correct in that we cannot always find what we need at a dealership. Believe me, I've suffered that same pain.
So, allow me to say you are wrong in saying "obviously wrongly thought that this was what a forum of this nature was for,". This IS in fact the place, a GOOD place, where one should feel free to ask questions.
Case in point....I too have joined here........and for the same reason as all who are members. We all have questions from time to time......

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page