2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 03-08-2019, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
New Exhaust

Ok so dont hate me too much, this isn’t permanent but it aint bad at all lol, ive been reading over all the different exhaust options and so far im not 100% sold on any of them, i think ill wind up settling and getting a V&H exhaust for my bike but until i make my decision i did this...

I took a 4” black exhaust tip for a truck and modified it slightly to fit the bike and bolt up like factory, looks cleaner, obviously sounds better over the factory muffler and so far im happy with it, dont hate too hard on me, like i said this is temporary until i find the exhaust that I actually like for my bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-09-2019, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Looks really good!! Why would anybody hate you for it?? It is your bike do what ya want!!
Big Rus likes this.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-09-2019, 10:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
All those v&h, bassani etc etc is just to make convenient , plug and play and the sound of what u like. In fact any exhaust non brand will do as long as one love the sound it churn out.

post #4 of 12 Old 03-09-2019, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Looks perfect. I sometimes hang out with a group that meets up for beer and bike talk. About 50% Harleys and 50% all other.

The most interesting bikes are the bikes with self fabricated parts.
post #5 of 12 Old 03-14-2019, 11:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
So Demon, which " exhaust tip for a truck" did you use?
Can you please provide the pertinent information?
I currently run mine with the stock muffler but without the baffles.
It sounds OK but...............
post #6 of 12 Old 03-15-2019, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Your ride you do it your way. It that is just a tip and nothing inside aka wide open exhaust you will run lean with out adding fuel. They need some back pressure.
post #7 of 12 Old 03-16-2019, 02:54 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Garage
There are many exhausts for cars / trucks that will fit providing they have a 55mm inlet. Unfortunately not many motorcycle slipons are that big!

The only problem you will encounter (other than finishing the edges cosmetically if you intend to chop one down) is actually getting a bracket on it to fit and hold it securely in place.

Worth mentioning that ANY exhaust you fit WILL affect the performance of the engine so unless you have the facilities to retune it (with an FP3 or similar) you will need to take your bike to have the ECU remapped - if you don't you can expect performance issues or engine problems later down the line.

I found this while looking on the internet

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323659164136

Botty

Last edited by Botty; 03-16-2019 at 02:54 AM. Reason: spelling error
post #8 of 12 Old 03-16-2019, 03:26 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Being that i didnt remove the cat it still has plenty of back pressure, the bike actually runs better and has more pep with the restrictive muffler removed, as far as mounting it goes, it was quite simple and took nothing at all and its rock solid on the bike.

To further confirm that its fine as is i had some friends at harley check it out and plug it i to their computer and found it to be running just fine, its not leaning out or anything, even the harley dealer said that as long as you dont remove the cat, you dont need a tune...
post #9 of 12 Old 03-16-2019, 03:28 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.EDIAS View Post
So Demon, which " exhaust tip for a truck" did you use?
Can you please provide the pertinent information?
I currently run mine with the stock muffler but without the baffles.
It sounds OK but...............

I literally looked up a 4” black exhaust tip for a truck, found this one, the inlet was bigger than i needed but i was able to modify that without issue, and then just drill 2 holes in the side and it bolts right into the factory mounting points
post #10 of 12 Old 03-17-2019, 04:16 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Garage
You are very lucky Demon to have such qualified friends who can say that for you and if you trust what they are saying then very good luck to you and I hope all goes well. I am no longer so lucky.

I have had many performance bikes in the past, my friends have too and we have had the assistance of a good friend who had dyno equipment at the garage where he worked which we were allowed to play with when it was quiet in the workshop.

In most cases to check / adjust the performance of a bike after an exhaust / air filter have been fitted with the hope of improving performance would take a couple of hours to complete as the engine needs to be checked over a wide range of rpm to ensure that there are no flat spots / area's that the set up is not running properly.

If you are happy with yours then great and I sincerely hope that you have no engine issues further down the line.

I am surprised that the HD dealer suggested that if you don't remove the cat then you will be fine? I am sure that same HD dealer will happily charge riders of bikes that his workshop changes the exhaust on many hundreds of pounds for work associated with re-tuning the ecu on bikes following doing a similar thing?

While the Streets sensors will compensate for a different air filter I think that a suggestion that if you don't remove the cat the bike will run fine is not a hope that anyone wishing to change their exhaust should have.

Like I have stated, previously I ran and raced high performance bikes and over a very short period the valves on these bikes get quite badly damaged by the wrong fuel / air mix which is quite a 'ball-ache' to put right and also, if you have to pay someone to do it, quite an expensive job to do.

I would suggest that anyone who wishes to change their exhaust and wants their engine to remain in good operating condition invests money in having it set up properly or in time by doing it themselves with a ecu tuner.

My opinion and others may disagree
Propnut likes this.

Botty

Last edited by Botty; 03-17-2019 at 05:02 AM. Reason: spelling errors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page