Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

Harley street 2017 exhaust baffle..again

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Teagan Winkler 
#1 ·
Hi!

I just bought a harley street.

I wanted to try the removal of my baffle.The welds are cut and all.I was about to remove it but I had second toughts.

I need a clear answer.Is the removal dangerous for my engine.Will it cause it to actually heat up and destroy itself.

Can I just remove it and just be done with it as I dont want to pay 160 to get it fp3'd.

Thanks!.

#3 ·
Congrats on your purchase.

Baffles in an exhaust are mainly there for noise reduction. Having said that the manufacturers also design them to create back pressure in the exhaust which restricts exhaust gas flow.

By removing the baffles you will theoretically lose power but not to a degree that you will notice. Engine damage will not occur.

I presume that you are trying to make the bike louder? If so there are exhausts out there for less than £100 that will do that. Some are very loud! Mine cost £85 and is so loud (when I want it to be) that to be comfortable you need ear plugs!

You would really only need to consider an FP3 tune (or similar) if you are messing with the mixture (changing the air filter) The problem with having someone re-tune it for you is if you decide to go back to standard then you will have to pay again to get this done.

If you are considering a re-tune then it is better to save up and buy a tuner because the things you can achieve and change more than once are far better than paying someone to tune it as a 'one-off'.

#4 ·
When i got my used 2015 750, the previous owner has removed the baffles as he wanted more noise. Was riding without a baffles for about 1,000km before i change to aftermarket exhaust. was also reading around, it won't damage the engine. if one is on a tight budget (not wanting to change aftermarket), one can experiment to get a short baffles to install in the original stock exhaust.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.