Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

Horrible mirrors!

48K views 105 replies 61 participants last post by  Rick 
#1 ·
Looking for a solution to these mirrors that give me no visibility. Any suggestions with photos???

#5 ·
big guy mirrors

Yes, the long stem mirrors helped. I am a large guy, 6 foot, 250 pounds with a barrel chest. With stock mirrors and highboy seat, I was looking at my elbow pits. With long stem mirrors I could see my biceps and shoulders.
When I added the Black Mirror extenders. part 56000042 $54.95 AND the long stem mirrors, I could finally see around my shoulders and see the lane behind me. With either the long stem or mirror extenders I could see behind me in one lane over, which is really what you absolutely need to see for lane changing. But it is comforting to be able to see in the lane behind. So right now I have the long stem mirrors AND the mirror extenders.
I am looking forward (no pun intended) to see what reduced reach handlebars will do for me. I expect to remove the mirror extenders and just go with the long stem mirrors. Some people have complained that the long stem mirrors vibrate too much, but hey, its a motorcycle. I don't need to read the license plate of the car in the lane behind me, just to know that it is there. Might try the stock mirrors with the mirror extenders, which are certainly more stable, but my index fingers tend to bump into them.

#7 ·
I've considered bar end mirrors. I think they look nice but since I lane split quite a bit on my rides to and from work, I feel like they'd hinder that by making the bike wider.

I was thinking of something like this. I'm wondering if I could just loosen and turn my current mirrors down?

#23 ·
I agree that who ever made the decision at Harley to install these "UNSAFE" mirrors on these street models needs to have their own mirrors removed from their bike.... permanently!

seems to me that they "traded our safety for their greed to make more money off of us"!...that is just not right! :mad:

I think they owe all of us a pair of long stem mirrors...free!

ok, i'll step off my soap box now....lol

#33 ·
Has anyone tried to put the stock mirrors in a vice and bend them over more to get a better view? I was told by another rider that he has done this in the past with previous bikes and worked. The street mirrors sit quite high and look like there maybe an inch to squeeze out. Just a thought at this stage. I might give it a shot and post some pics and my thoughts if i decide to go ahead.

#34 ·
I thought about trying that too.
I even bought some flat "L" brackets at the hardware store and tried making my own extenders, but still wasn't happy with the results.

I finally broke down and bought the HD black mirror extenders
yeah, they are over priced, like most HD stuff, but looks good, no vibration are well made and "solved my problem with the lack of rear visibility" with the stock mirrors in the stock location.

even with the cost of $50, it wound up being my best solution.

#39 ·
HEY,

All you have to do is get these:

91909-038 HD MIRROR RIGHT LONG STEM BLACK
91910-038 HD MIRROR LEFT LONG STEM BLACK
It takes < 5 minutes and you are good to go!

What's the BIG DEAL? Yes these are the ones that should have been on in the first place but ????????????????????????

I've posted this many times.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.