New H-D Riding Academy going global - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 04-24-2014, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
New H-D Riding Academy going global

Harley Davidson has revamped and expanded their Riding Academy. In addition to changes in the United States, where more than 180 Harley-Davidson dealers offer training courses, Harley-Davidson Riding Academy is expanding globally into Mexico, China and South Africa.

Harley-Davidson Amps Up Learning To Ride With Launch Of Harley-Davidson Riding Academy -- MILWAUKEE, April 24, 2014 /PRNewswire/ --
StoneFree, bbally and NikC90 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-25-2014, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
I actually never knew HD even had a riding academy
post #3 of 14 Old 04-25-2014, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

post #4 of 14 Old 04-29-2014, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
I like the promo, and likely it will really get people to take the action to get involved who haven't already. If you haven't got on a Harley yet this seems like a great experience to get you started

post #5 of 14 Old 04-29-2014, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri View Post
Harley Davidson has revamped and expanded their Riding Academy. In addition to changes in the United States, where more than 180 Harley-Davidson dealers offer training courses, Harley-Davidson Riding Academy is expanding globally into Mexico, China and South Africa.

Harley-Davidson Amps Up Learning To Ride With Launch Of Harley-Davidson Riding Academy -- MILWAUKEE, April 24, 2014 /PRNewswire/ --

I live in WA and we have a huge problem here because of our state laws. For whatever reason the Harley dealers cannot offer the Motorcycle Riding Safety Course that is often used to obtain the M/C endorsement on the drivers license even though the instructors are the same ones that do the Motorcycle Riding Safety Course and the materials are the same.

Basically the State law prohibits any relationship to a "for profit" enterpise even if the Harley dealer offered the training for free. I don't know why this prohibition exists but I suspect that the "State" doesn't want a dealer to offer the program for free, and they would, because it cuts into the "rice bowl" of the State that charges for the Motercycle Riding Safety Course.

It's politcal BS that puts a dampener on the H-D Riding Academy at least in my state.

Always remember that for every mile of highway there are two miles of ditches.
post #6 of 14 Old 04-29-2014, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneFree View Post
I live in WA and we have a huge problem here because of our state laws. For whatever reason the Harley dealers cannot offer the Motorcycle Riding Safety Course that is often used to obtain the M/C endorsement on the drivers license even though the instructors are the same ones that do the Motorcycle Riding Safety Course and the materials are the same.

Basically the State law prohibits any relationship to a "for profit" enterpise even if the Harley dealer offered the training for free. I don't know why this prohibition exists but I suspect that the "State" doesn't want a dealer to offer the program for free, and they would, because it cuts into the "rice bowl" of the State that charges for the Motercycle Riding Safety Course.

It's politcal BS that puts a dampener on the H-D Riding Academy at least in my state.
sucks
StoneFree likes this.
post #7 of 14 Old 04-30-2014, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Quote:

I hate when that happens.
Of course this is so HD can increase it's bottom line but they are doing it in a way that shouldn't go against any regulations or rules set out and that actually benefits the riders

Sherri likes this.
post #8 of 14 Old 04-30-2014, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Quote:

that is some political bs
post #9 of 14 Old 04-30-2014, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Waving the BS flag here. Riders Edge classes have never been completely free. They are, however, subsidized by Harley Davidson. If you go to the Harley Davidson web page for Riders Edge you will find Bellvue Harley Davidson offering the class for $350. I didn't do a comprehensive survey of all the available Riders Edge classes offered in Washington.

For comparison sake, the Riders Edge classes offered at Antelope Valley HD in Lancaster CA cost $395 and those at Glendale Harley Davidson in Glendale (or Glumdale) CA cost $420.

I have never seen the MSF New Riders Course offered anywhere for free.

I live in a parallel universe but have a vacation home in reality.
post #10 of 14 Old 04-30-2014, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Tortoise View Post
Waving the BS flag here. Riders Edge classes have never been completely free. They are, however, subsidized by Harley Davidson. If you go to the Harley Davidson web page for Riders Edge you will find Bellvue Harley Davidson offering the class for $350. I didn't do a comprehensive survey of all the available Riders Edge classes offered in Washington.

For comparison sake, the Riders Edge classes offered at Antelope Valley HD in Lancaster CA cost $395 and those at Glendale Harley Davidson in Glendale (or Glumdale) CA cost $420.

I have never seen the MSF New Riders Course offered anywhere for free.

Here in western Colorado it costs 45 bucks from the dealer. If you are a hog member and send in the receipt the send you a 45 dollar gift card. (USD)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
HarleyVest and Sherri like this.

USMC '79-'85 Sgt.
1st Mar Div, 1st FSSG Det A in the Stumps
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
PGR Rider

2016 FLTRXS
2015 XG 750
2003 VRSCA

1982 GS1100GK

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page