LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 11-15-2013, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
500 review

This is a ridden review of the 500 off a Moto Guzzi forum:

Yesterday I had the opportunity to ride the new HD V Twin. Although covered by a Non Disclosure Agreement, I can say that I am impressed. Designed for the beginner and offered for the training courses, this bike hits dead center, bulls eye, on target. Power delivery is linear, clutch engagement smooth and with a wide friction zone and minimal lever effort. Seating is comfortable with several seats available for a custom fit to the student. Shifting is low effort and precise with no false neutrals. Handling is light and nimble without any oversteer like most of the Asian bikes used in the MSF programs here. Legroom is way better than the others as well. With the optional ,ahem, crash protectors nothing touches the ground even when flopped over on the bars. The mirrors stay intact! Asian cruisers just got blown away. If it proves reliable and low maintenance, I can see this bike in my fleet. The 750 version will sell and may even eclipse the 883 slug.
Punkelf likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-16-2013, 11:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
wow, thanks for posting this, this review has me even more amped up to see and ride the 500/750, seems like HD has a winner here.

Punkelf likes this.
post #3 of 10 Old 11-17-2013, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I should have mentioned this guy is an MSF instructor.

post #4 of 10 Old 11-18-2013, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
offered for the training courses? really?
post #5 of 10 Old 11-18-2013, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Any link to the review?

Here is a published one from a similar perspective (MSF instructor, guzzi rider) with different conclusions:
World Exclusive: 2014 Harley-Davidson Street 500 Review | RideApart
post #6 of 10 Old 11-18-2013, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Harley 750cc & 500cc water-cooled update - now with Motociclismo pic and link

I must say, comparing it to a CBR, especialy when you've allready admitted its electronicaly limited for training, is a bit silly.

Down toward the bottom, by Redrider.
post #7 of 10 Old 11-18-2013, 08:38 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkelf View Post
Any link to the review?

Here is a published one from a similar perspective (MSF instructor, guzzi rider) with different conclusions:
World Exclusive: 2014 Harley-Davidson Street 500 Review | RideApart
Hmm... NOT a good positive review. Obviously it's only one guy's take on it but wow. Oil/water/fuel leaks, not good. Half an 883's horsepower My '09 Rebel hakes 16 hp, I was hoping it was maybe somewhere around 30-35 hp.

It amuses me though at what some think a small bike is and isn't capable of. I have found the small 234cc Rebel can cruise all day at 60-65 mph with no trouble. I've put 200+ miles on mine in a day a couple of times, most rides at least 100 miles. I've seen on a Rebel forum that a woman put 5000 miles on a little Rebel in two weeks touring with her husband.

Some on the Honda CTX700 forum lament that they don't think it can cruise the Interstate all day with "only" 670cc's. My response to reading that was, WTF....

For a Harley rep to state it would make a poor tourer because of it's "diminutive engine size" isn't doing Harley any favors either. This mindset of needing 1000-1800+ cc's to do anything other than "ride around town" is laughable.

Last edited by firehawk; 11-18-2013 at 08:43 PM.
post #8 of 10 Old 11-18-2013, 10:24 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk View Post
Hmm... NOT a good positive review. Obviously it's only one guy's take on it but wow. Oil/water/fuel leaks, not good. Half an 883's horsepower My '09 Rebel hakes 16 hp, I was hoping it was maybe somewhere around 30-35 hp.

It amuses me though at what some think a small bike is and isn't capable of. I have found the small 234cc Rebel can cruise all day at 60-65 mph with no trouble. I've put 200+ miles on mine in a day a couple of times, most rides at least 100 miles. I've seen on a Rebel forum that a woman put 5000 miles on a little Rebel in two weeks touring with her husband.

Some on the Honda CTX700 forum lament that they don't think it can cruise the Interstate all day with "only" 670cc's. My response to reading that was, WTF....

For a Harley rep to state it would make a poor tourer because of it's "diminutive engine size" isn't doing Harley any favors either. This mindset of needing 1000-1800+ cc's to do anything other than "ride around town" is laughable.
Yeah, I'm hoping these are just rough edges on a preproduction bike.
post #9 of 10 Old 11-23-2013, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
It's not smart on HD's part to bring out a bike with fit and finish problems. I can't imagine the ones on the actual showrooms will be like that.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-25-2013, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
It not smart on their part but I guess on a low end HD like the Street 500 and Street 750 you have to expect it. With any low end product it's expected.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page