Street Rod Screamin Eagle muffler - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 02-12-2018, 05:58 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Street Rod Screamin Eagle muffler

Apologies if someone has already posted about this, but I see on the US Harley site that they have now introduced this SE muffler.

Allegedly EU and 50 state compliant and looking the same size as the OEM part, I can't help feeling that whilst Harley promise '....a deep base rumble and throaty tone while on the throttle'. it will be turn out to be a bit of a damp squib, sound wise anyway. Performance wise, Harley haven't claimed anything in the way of increased BHP which leaves me wondering what's the point?

Unless of course there is someone out there in the US who has shelled out $325 and can prove my scepticism is completely misplaced!

Last edited by Phil13; 02-12-2018 at 06:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-12-2018, 05:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
I had the Screamin' Eagle Nightstick on my Street 750. It was dramatically louder than the sewing-machine stock muffler. They advertised it with similar terminology, and on my Street 750 I'd say it definitely delivered.

The Street Rod muffler looks like it's not in any way related. The Street 750's muffler was from SuperTrapp, the Street Rod's new muffler doesn't look remotely similar.

They mention "improved performance", but don't specify what that would be. On the Nightstick, they claimed increased torque:
Quote:
The high-flow design of the external diffusion discs produces plenty of low-end gutsť to get your bike away from the light, and a fat torque curve that gets you quickly around slow-moving traffic.
In my experience, that was spot-on. I verified that with my FP3, between the muffler and the VO2 intake I saw a 20% increase in torque through the midrange.

But the Street Rod muffler doesn't make any such claims, so -- I don't know what to tell you on that. It does seem like they're mainly advertising it for sound. On the Street Rod's introduction they did spell out that it had a high-flow muffler as standard, so maybe there's not much more to be had from a slip-on? Don't know. They do say it requires an ECM recalibration, for what that's worth.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-13-2018, 04:58 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Some interesting points there Gaijin, regarding the Nightstick.

I didn't realise that Harley outsourced SE parts design(?) and manufacture to companies like SuperTrapp. I was under the mistaken impression that SE parts were all done in house. Explains why that particular item is as good as you say I suppose.

Harley also make no specific claim regarding any improved performance by way of the SE air filter element for the Street Rod, other than a vague statement including the phrase ' .....a freer breathing capability..'. So in my cynical way I could give HD $400 ish for muffler and filter and in turn get.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post
But the Street Rod muffler doesn't make any such claims, so -- I don't know what to tell you on that. It does seem like they're mainly advertising it for sound. On the Street Rod's introduction they did spell out that it had a high-flow muffler as standard, so maybe there's not much more to be had from a slip-on? Don't know. They do say it requires an ECM recalibration, for what that's worth.
Yep, I think that must sum it up, $325 or $400 if you go the whole hog for a bit more noise. That is pretty disappointing in my book. Still each to his own eh?

post #4 of 4 Old 03-08-2018, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Bizarrely enough, this SE muffler has now disappeared from Harley's US site which is now back to just showing the Nightstick. Any of our US friends heard anything?

Conspiracy Theorists welcome

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page