LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 05-18-2018, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
storage

has anybody found any good functional storage for these bikes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-21-2018, 01:13 PM

Location: Southwest Iowa with more than a little time spent in Ames
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Some thoughts on storage

I think I'd probably start with a set of H-D Bungee Bars, Part Number 50300123. Those would assist in strapping anything, even a small duffle bag, behind the rider.

Another alternative would be the H-D Premium Tail Bag, Part Number 93300069A. That's going to have straps to secure it that run beneath the pillion seat.

On the Street 500/750 you can use sari guards as saddle bag supports and then use a generic throw over saddle bag set. I don't know if similar guards are available to the Street Rod. Generic bags tend to be cheaper and larger than the H-D bags for this model, plus the guards are blacked out instead of the chrome saddle bag supports from H-D. The sari guards are also pretty sturdy, so work great when you need to bungee something to the back seat.

Paul
Central and SW Iowa
2016 xg750
post #3 of 8 Old 05-22-2018, 06:27 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Garage
I have seen folks with saddle bags. The problem is that it makes the bike look even smaller than it is. For short trips I use a backpack.

post #4 of 8 Old 05-25-2018, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I put a Harley quick release rear rack and use a top box I got from Amazon. Works great and the top box comes off easily when I don't need it.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-26-2018, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I purchased the Viking Bags Saddle Bags for my Street 750, see attached photo. I like them, a lot. At first I wasn't sure about them until a few random strangers would comment on how nice they looked. I get a lot of people asking me about the Street 750, they always seems surprised to learn that it is a Harley Davidson or people telling me they like the look of the bike. I like the look of the bike too

The Saddle Bags are well made and I would recommend them with a caveat. The wrong mounting hardware was shipped and it took over 2 weeks for Viking Bags to reply. I also posted a review on their site about how much I liked the bags, then pointed out my disappointment in their customer service. The review was deleted. This rubbed me the wrong way.

One thing I am going to do, they feel a bit like I mounted them too high and a bit too forward. Going to fill the holes with epoxy, drill new holes and see how they look lower and further back. Not much, the goal is to find that right spot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4083-small.jpg (194.2 KB, 46 views)
Big Rus likes this.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-08-2018, 04:25 PM

Since this is in the Street Rod area I'm guessing that our comments on the xg500/750 and amount to taunting the Street Rod owners about our many options. I have done some more poking around and I'm not finding much of anything specific to the street rod. You may be able to use generic throw over saddlebags. Without a support they are going to be bumping against the shock all the time, so might see some extra wear.

If the fender bolts are the same distance apart as on the other XG's, or if you are willing to do some drilling, you may be able to fit some Viking bags.

Paul
Central and SW Iowa
2016 xg750
post #7 of 8 Old 06-13-2018, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PugslyCat View Post
Since this is in the Street Rod area I'm guessing that our comments on the xg500/750 and amount to taunting the Street Rod owners about our many options. I have done some more poking around and I'm not finding much of anything specific to the street rod. You may be able to use generic throw over saddlebags. Without a support they are going to be bumping against the shock all the time, so might see some extra wear.

If the fender bolts are the same distance apart as on the other XG's, or if you are willing to do some drilling, you may be able to fit some Viking bags.

I'll be working with one off customs and designs to get a "tour pack" made for the street rod. Side bag mounts, back rest, and luggage rack.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-13-2018, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascoatings View Post
I'll be working with one off customs and designs to get a "tour pack" made for the street rod.
I kind of thought that might be in the works.
From your preliminary work, would it be possible to have the back rest compatible with the xg750 package rack but "right sized"? There's a lot of "Did I really pay $79 for this dinky thing?" in the Street community.

Paul
Central and SW Iowa
2016 xg750

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page