Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

Fp3

11K views 28 replies 7 participants last post by  VortecCPI 
#1 ·
Anyone in the uk with a Street Rod got the Vance and Hines FP3 I am going to purchase one soon but keep putting off as I am abit scared it won’t work for some reason have any of the uk owners got any experience with these?

#2 ·
It'll work just fine. Very easy to use, and they produce good results. Worked very well with my Street Rod. If you download the app from Google play store, it has a demo mode, so you can run through using it until you're quite happy with what happens.

Shop around for it though, every now and then U.S. sellers on e bay sell them cheaper than you can buy here, even after paying import duty and VAT.

#4 ·
Definitely. Even if you're running a bog standard Street / Rod, it will make the bike run much better.

The phone app also allows you to contact V&H by email and it will add all the relevant details about your bike and fuelpak map, should you have any need to speak to them. You'll get a speedy reply, their customer service is excellent.

Not having checked for a while, the FP3 used to offer only one map for the Street Rod which was free flowing muffler with standard filter, (this map by the way proved equally good after I fitted a S&S Stealth free flow air filter). It can also be tweaked by running the 'autotune' feature which allows the FP3 to analyse your riding style and adjust the fuel/air map to reflect it.

If you take AR Harley;

https://www.harleycustom.co.uk/products/brands/vance-hines/vance-hines-fuel-pak-throttlepak/1635

as a cost bench mark, trawl ebay and do the numbers. U.S. sellers using ebays Global Shipping Programme allow you to see the import duties you'll be liable to pay, so working out a good deal is a piece of p*ss.

#5 ·
Nice one thanks for your help I have been in touch with AR Harley already about the hi out Vance and Hines exhaust But want to get a tuner before I buy one as I have a K and N air filter fitted not the best one I know ha but it will do for now! Will be purchasing an FP3 soon for an English company on eBay! Cheapest one have seen in the UK with one 2 day delivery would rather pay the extra to get it sooner!

#7 ·
Nope, can't say I have. Like I said, it will only offer the one map for the Street Rod, while the Street gets around half a dozen choices if memory serves.

Check your VIN is entered correctly, if still no joy, delete the app and download it again. Don't sweat it though. V&H have sold loads of these and the chance of an FP3 deciding it doesn't like your bike and refusing to work with it just isn't going to happen.

#9 ·
Well that's a new one, I haven't seen that before.

Personally, I would e mail V&H from the app, explain I was thinking of buying one but this is happening and it is causing me some concern, ie, will the bloody thing work properly if I buy it and ask for some assistance.

As I said, their customer service really is excellent, so why not use it?

#13 · (Edited)
What I would say is follow the FP3 guide EXACTLY as it's laid out when you first go to 'marry' the FP3 to your bike.

Bike - ignition off, kill switch off

Phone - Blue tooth switched off

Give the FP3 time to 'think' when you first turn the bike on when instructed to do so by the app on set up. It will take 15 - 20 ish minutes or so to go through the 'marrying' thing, so make sure your Street Rod's battery is fully charged, as you do tend to sit there with the lights and ignition on while it sorts it's life out. Once it is set up, there is no delay in the FP3 responding to the app when you wish to change something.

#14 ·
FP3 came today married it to the bike but now abit stuck it has 4 maps for my bike available but none for a stock exhaust and hi flow air filter I have emailed Vance and Hines but just though you may be able to help when I first married the bike I flashed the hi out put exhaust and stock air filter and the idle RPMwent down about 100 is this normal! As this happened I just flashed the stock map back onto it until I hear from them don’t want to blow my bike up haha! What’s your thoughts would this map be ok?

#29 ·
You mentioned there are four FP3 maps for the Street Rod. I want to get FP3 for my Street Rod but I can not get any good answers on any forum.

My bike has Rinehart pipe and S&S Stealth intake so I am wondering of one of the four maps is close. Any chance you can list the four maps for me?

Thank you so much!

#15 ·
Yep, most people do the muffler first, probably because the OEM ones are rather quiet to say the least. I would be inclined to leave it on Vance & Hines standard map for the mo, ie OEM filter and muffler and as you say, wait for them to advise. I wouldn't worry about the idle dropping by 100 revs, it will still be running fast enough to supply the top end with oil.

#19 ·
I fitted a S&S Grand National muffler and Stealth air filter to my Steet Rod. At the time the FP3 only offered 1 map for the SR, which was High flow muffler with standard air filter, but the bike ran really well on that particular map. I didn't bother to autotune as I felt that whatever improvement autotune could offer, would be so small as to be unnoticeable.

You will really just have to suck it and see if autotune offers you personally any noticeable improvement. I'ts no great hardship to put it back to the V&H pre defined map you're using should you wish.

#18 ·
.... do you think I would be ok running with the hi output with stock filter map?
I wouldn't really as that map will be the exact opposite of what you have, high flow filter, stock muffler.

Personally I would stick with the V&H standard filter and muffler map. If it really is a concern for you, you could always put the standard air filter back on for the moment until you get enough £££££ together for the V&H muffler and then do the whole thing at once.

#21 ·
You're welcome, my reasoning for recommending V&H's standard map is it is a richer fuel to air ratio map, which should, maybe, possibly help offset the extra air your engine is getting from the hi flo air filter.

Let us all know the results of autotune if you decide to run it, could save someone else a bit of hassle.

#22 ·
Hey question regarding the "Autotune"..........They recommend doing 3 or so 20-40 min rides then pressing "Apply" before actually flashing the map..

So the question is can the bike and app be stopped between these rides?.....Or is it a case of pulling over leaving bike running and pressing apply?

#23 ·
You can stop both the bike and the app during an Autotune session just make sure to press apply when you're done for the day. The FP3 will then save the values it has recorded and will add to those values on the next ride and continue to do so until you press 'finish'.

If you press finish it means exactly that, the FP3 will conclude the auto tune session irrespective of whether all the squares have been turned green or not.

#25 ·
Has anyone had any problems updating their FP3 to the newest firmware using an android phone. If you are using an Apple Ios, do comment if you were successful as well as any android user. Vance & Hines wants me to ship my FP3 module on their dime to them. They also said that I should borrow an Apple phone and see if I can update it. Any input would be appreciated.

#26 ·
Well I attempted to do an auto tune yesterday and had my phone mounted where I could see it and after 20mins nothing had turned any color, I realised that it wont start till it reaches a certain temp...So I restarted with a new start temp and got some green squares yay......Decided to flash it as is, Wow what a difference its made bike is way more responsive etc...

Need to really try the whole 3-4 20min rides thing.

#27 ·
Several people on the forum have said that the FP3 auto tune sessions make an incredible improvement to otherwise stock XG series bikes. I've prioritized getting the FP3 ahead of pipes and an intake just for that reason, but will probably wait until spring before doing so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.