FXDLS to XG750A... wait what?! - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

2Likes
  • 2 Post By XG750A_Jim

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 09-30-2018, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
FXDLS to XG750A... wait what?!

Hello everybody

To put it shortly, I went 16' FXDLS to 18' XG750A. Most friends think I'm crazy including my local dealership who has been involved since the beginning.

I have to say, I ride pretty aggressively and the FXDLS never settled in. I had a death wobble from day one. It was back and forth with the dealership, new motor mounts, new tires, fork fluid flush, adjusting rear suspension preload, Dyna engine "Alignment". Nothing worked. Bike would get wobbly past 90mph.

Eventually I got so fed up I decided to dump it. Traded it back into the dealership for my 18 XG750A. Pretty sweet deal, no cash exchanged hands, I still owed a little on the Dyna. Dealer gave me brand new bike free and clear and paid off the FXDLS.

So here I am. Very happy with the way this bike performs while riding aggressively. So much tighter and put together. I look forward to dialing this bike in.

I have reached out to Revolution Performance and plan to go 800CC big bore + head work. I am hopeful that Andrews will pull through with a camshaft at that time. Looking for 90-100 whp. I love the look and the bike fits me like a glove, 5'10 150lbs.

Look forward to documenting the process and bringing some positive exposure to this highly under appreciated machine.

Jim
Solo750owner and wke002 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-01-2018, 03:08 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I had a long discussion with Revolution Performance about their 800cc kit. Eventually we agreed that unlike the Street, where there was a quantifiable increase in performance they could give no guarantee that the kit would boost the Street Rod's, due to the fact that the kit would lower the compression from 12:1 to 11:1 and what the effect of this combined with the Street Rods different cams would be.

Until they actually try it, no one can say whether some loss of performance caused by the compression reduction / Street Rod cam would be more than offset by an extra 50cc. Personally, I'm not convinced it would be.

As to Andrews cam development, are the cams they're developing for the Street or the Street Rod? A cam that would be beneficial for the Street may produce lesser performance in the Street Rod than the one that the it currently uses.

They were certainly keen to try their kit out on a Street Rod and it seems to be a very easy conversion to do. Top end off, push out the old barrel liners, push in new ones, new pistons rebuild top end ,done.

As you are (I assume) in the U.S. you may wish to be their test guinea pig
post #3 of 7 Old 10-01-2018, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Garage
I have found that my bike starts to "sail" at high speeds. The overall weight of the bike including myself is on the low side to go fast. In excess of 90 mph gets you in a bad situation real fast. You all ride safe.

post #4 of 7 Old 10-01-2018, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil13 View Post
I had a long discussion with Revolution Performance about their 800cc kit. Eventually we agreed that unlike the Street, where there was a quantifiable increase in performance they could give no guarantee that the kit would boost the Street Rod's, due to the fact that the kit would lower the compression from 12:1 to 11:1 and what the effect of this combined with the Street Rods different cams would be.

Until they actually try it, no one can say whether some loss of performance caused by the compression reduction / Street Rod cam would be more than offset by an extra 50cc. Personally, I'm not convinced it would be.

As to Andrews cam development, are the cams they're developing for the Street or the Street Rod? A cam that would be beneficial for the Street may produce lesser performance in the Street Rod than the one that the it currently uses.

They were certainly keen to try their kit out on a Street Rod and it seems to be a very easy conversion to do. Top end off, push out the old barrel liners, push in new ones, new pistons rebuild top end ,done.

As you are (I assume) in the U.S. you may wish to be their test guinea pig

I live 45 minutes south of their headquarters. As far as compression ratio goes, I'd have someone make me a set of pistons to stay at or above 12.5 to 1. If i'm going in, i'm going all in. Would love to see what some light head work would do with the added displacement. Lets see if Andrews gets back to me on the cam. I honestly can't believe the lack of aftermarket support for this bike.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-02-2018, 02:54 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I hope Revolution will work with you,It will be very interesting if they do. Ideally dyno ing the bike before and then after the 800cc kit is put on plus cams (if Andrews are going to do Street Rod ones)
post #6 of 7 Old 10-02-2018, 03:24 PM

Location: I split my time between rural central Iowa and rural southwest Iowa
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XG750A_Jim View Post
I honestly can't believe the lack of aftermarket support for this bike.
Most of us on the forum have lamented the same issue. H-D appears to be more interested in getting buyers to trade up to a Sportster or above as soon as possible rather than helping us make anything of these bikes. This family of bikes hasn't been a huge seller in the United States, so domestic third party suppliers aren't coming up with a wide variety of parts like they have for some of the other lines.

I walked into a dealership knowing next to nothing about the H-D lineup and walked out with new, previous years model xg750. Knocking 20% off the price seemed to make it work. If it weren't a great deal and if I knew a little more about aftermarket parts availability I probably would have gone with a new or used XL883L as a starter bike. Mostly that would have been for the parts availability, but also the compatibility with a lot of the XL1200's that would have been a logical upgrade path.

Formerly known as "PugslyCat" until the account got locked.
2016 xg750 in Velocity Red
2007 Sportster 1200 Custom in blue and silver
post #7 of 7 Old 10-03-2018, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
If the new line of bikes that have been talked about (the Streetfighter 975, the Pan American 1250, and the Custom) are, indeed, using the Revolution X engine design, then you might see a lot more parts development in the next few years. Harley said they want a common platform in four displacements, 500/750/975/1250. I don't know if they're making a brand-new, liquid-cooled, 60-degree V-twin engine line, or if they're just going to expand on their existing Revolution X, but it sure seems logical to start from the existing Revolution X.

Streets clearly haven't been selling in large numbers in the domestic market. I went to the Harley 115th Anniversary, and there were tens of thousands of riders and bikes, maybe 100,000, who knows. I didn't see a single Street. I saw a crapton of baggers/touring bikes, a few softails, a few sportsters, but 90% were baggers. In the three years since I first bought my Street 750, I think I've seen one other one on the roads in South Texas. Doesn't make sense to me; it's a good little bike, at a decent price, but most folks seem to want at least a 50-year-old-design Sportster or one of the big bikes. Of course, the Street really wasn't designed for the US domestic market, its main design goal was to get into the high-motorcycle-owning crowded nations like India. Don't know how it's doing over there.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page