Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

Right Foot Peg placement

20K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  Rebel uk 
#1 ·
After riding the new Rod 1500 miles like every body else I hate the right foot placement . I noticed that my right hip would get sore , me being 6 ft. 1" . I decided to lower the peg 1& 3/4 in . With a couple cheap peg's & a mounting from J&P cycle , The J&P extended peg is sawed off & taped 5/8 Fine thread , the nut is a 5/8 Fine thin jam nut . The strap is sawed out of alum plate . I was going to lower both sides but after putting a tape on it now both sides are right at 12 in with no change to the left side . After adjusting the rear brake lever all the way down at least now you can grab the brake much easier than stock . After a 140 mile ride on Fri. I had no pain in my hip ! Other mods I have made are adding ROX bar risers & install my Laminar speed screen from the old bike .

See less See more
#3 ·
That is an excellent solution! I can't even sit on an xg750a in the showroom without my legs hurting, and I'm a couple of inches shorter than you with a short inseam. I may, in fact, have to do something similar on my xg750.

#6 ·
If you measure a stock peg height , you will find that the right peg is higher than the left . After my mod they are about the same . As far as lean angle I don,t know which hits first the peg or the exhaust ? I had no one to help me lay it over . On the roads I ride lean angle is not & issue . Mabe if you were on a high speed clover leaf ?

#7 ·
I built up a right footpeg like Bob's Street Rod and it worked well. However, my shoe would catch on the edge. (Mostly my handiwork wasn't as good as Bob's.)

I was trolling around ebay and found a vendor selling offset footpegs so I grabbed some. They don't give quite as much offset as Bob's but they work. I carved a big bevel into it so my shoe slips over the edge better. See attached.

I put one on the left side as well. I had to adjust the shifter down a bit.

Attachments

#10 ·
JP,
Those JP Cycles ones look pretty good, though they move your pegs OUT quite a ways. That was the critical thing - keeping the pegs as INboard as much as possible. Note that the extenders will be tilted so they will angle OUTward and FORward.

The Amazon extenders might angle down TOO early and too much, hitting the heat shield. But they might fit.

I made a cardboard mockup to try before I bought the parts. Let us know what works. Good luck.

For reference, here are the pegs I got:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-25mm-Extension-Rear-Foot-Pegs-For-Harley-Davidson-XR1200-Iron-883-Sposter/323710471914?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
(I think that guy sells some 40mm ones as well. I might try them.)

#12 ·
@T-BoneSteve , the same amazon one is also on Revzilla and this note is listed there:

Fitment Notes & Exceptions
Male-mount pegs are used on a wide variety of H-D models, early and late
May not fit:
Models with offset clevis, including all Sportster Seventy-Two (XL1200V), Sportster Forty-Eight (XL1200X), Sportster Customs (XL1200C)
2018-Up Softail models
XG Street model driver location

So, it might not work :(

#19 ·
A timely question: I have been riding my SR a bunch lately and was just thinking that a 40mm offset right footpeg would be great. I did some measurements.

40mm appears to fit, but it will hit the heat shield. I was thinking of buying the 40mm peg and cutting away a bit of the heat shield. I'm glad you reminded me - I will do it! I'll let you know how it goes next week.

#20 ·
Steve- i got the 40mm. Heatshield will be a big hit. I dont have time to cut it so i had another idea. Here i placed the 2 40mm Adaptor at rear passenger footrest. Since on the left im not having any hip issue. On the left, i placed the other peg straight without adaptor.

#23 ·
I did this as well. (Cut heim joint and actuator rod and installed the drop pegs in the Amazon link below) To me, it has made all the difference in the world.

I think the drop on ad78's picture above was too much, and I settled with that shown in my pics. When I checked fore/aft and distance from the ground, this seemed to nail symmetry with the left peg at stock height. Since you are using two of the drop brackets, the 25mm versions could be put together to get in the same position as I did with the 40mm versions.

-Aaron

#24 ·
After riding the new Rod 1500 miles like every body else I hate the right foot placement . I noticed that my right hip would get sore , me being 6 ft. 1" . I decided to lower the peg 1& 3/4 in . With a couple cheap peg's & a mounting from J&P cycle , The J&P extended peg is sawed off & taped 5/8 Fine thread , the nut is a 5/8 Fine thin jam nut . The strap is sawed out of alum plate . I was going to lower both sides but after putting a tape on it now both sides are right at 12 in with no change to the left side . After adjusting the rear brake lever all the way down at least now you can grab the brake much easier than stock . After a 140 mile ride on Fri. I had no pain in my hip ! Other mods I have made are adding ROX bar risers & install my Laminar speed screen from the old bike .

Hi I'm having trouble myself I have measure my 2020 750a and there 300mm each side, but I like to see what you have done at the top

I got a 750a whi h is 300mm each side I like to see what you have done at top also mainly hoe do you get on with the break which is much higher than stock peg. Thxs Fred

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.