Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

Bigger rear tire?

17K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Dekidex 
#1 ·
Hello every one, I hope this hasn't already been asked, I couldn't find it by searching. Will a 180 tire fit on the street rod rear wheel? I want a little more meat back there, but I wasn't sure how wide i could go.

#4 · (Edited)
Forget guess work. Use this page put in you stock tire size put in the size you wish to try. It will tell you the difference in all aspects and provide a visual reference if you click on compare. It works with any size tires.

Example : Stock 140/75R15 tire compared to a 150/80R15. Pictures shows black your stock size red shows the tire you wish to compare. Other information on the pages gives you all the information you need.
That size will have some effects on your bike. Important to know what each number in the tire size means.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=140-75r15-150-80r15

Attachments

#6 ·
The 150 is the width of the tire the 80 means that your tire has an aspect ratio of 60%. In other words, your tire's sidewall height (from the edge of the rim to the tire's tread) is 60% of the width.

and of course the 15 is the whole in the middle.
The width is either inches or metric so that one is easy to predict the aspect takes a bit more work to fit out what will and will not fit.

#7 ·
Just got back installing both tires, rear Exedra max(150/80-15) and front H50 = Bridgestone. The shop told me not to speed first, well it was raining on way back home.

On the topic of tire pressure, can’t find Bridgestone pressure chart. My conclusion on google search is whatever tires indicate max cold pressure, in this case 41psi, an ideal would be to substract 10-15% for the ideal tire pressure. Correct me if am wrong.

#9 ·
first time hearing chalk test and read a a few sites which is quite interesting. have yet to try it out but from the "feeling". a typical motorcycle tire is not flat like car tires, its bulging out in the center (sorry, dunno what u call it). based on what i understand from chalk test, the "ideal" is to have the width surface fully touch ground when riding, end to end width, but from the "feeling", would cornering than be more dangerous as already both side width is in contact with ground, when cornering, this will come in contact with the outer width?

If i look at my new tires, with cornering and all riding, 50% is been used and both 25% per side has not touch the ground. maybe would need to lower the recommended pressure to have at least balance 5-10% side width not use?

Thanks for sharing in advance as this weekend, going uphill trip with my wife, hence need to know as much about tire pressure as possible.

#10 ·
Hope someone could help if indeed no problem to ride as am going uphill and downhill these weekend.

From Harley Manual, it states :

GVWR = 400 kgs
GAWR Front = 114 kgs (252lb) **
GAWR Rear = 286 kgs (630lb) **
** THE TOTAL WEIGHT OF ACCESSORIES, CARGO, RIDING GEAR, PASSENGER AND RIDER CANNOT EXCEED THIS WEIGHT.

both me and my wife combine weight with jacket, no luggage at 122kgs(268lbs),

The tires wall indicate
1) Rear - Max.Load 335kgs
2) Front - Max.Load 200kgs

appreciate share if we could ride together based on above data.

to be honest, am confused as Harley manual did not state referring to front or rear or combine GAWR
the tires itself if I calculate, Harley weight 225kgs + human combine 122kgs = 347 kgs which exceed the rear max load of 335kgs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.