Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

Street rod specific tuning?

8K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Jammied 
#1 ·
Hello,

I just purchased a Street rod 750 about 2 weeks ago with 150 miles on it. I really like the bike! It now has 450 miles on it and I'm looking to do a stage one upgrade that consists of the tuner , pipe and air filter.

I looked at the fp3 and power vision tuners and neither show a specific tune for the Street rod just the 750 street. From what I have seen that even raising the rev limiter in the tuner it still only shows 'Ve up until 8000 not sure how well they will be able to tune or if they can above 8,000 rpm?

I seen a Street rod synod tune video on YouTube and the person running the synod only went up to 8,300 rpm. Seems like there is some tuning of higher rpm left on the table. He must have been looking at the preset rev limiter of 8,300? Instead of upping the rev limiter to around 9,300 or so and tuning it at that rpm?

Any one have experience with tuning the fp3 and or power vision?

Just curious how well they will auto tune in the 9,300 range?

Sorry for the long post. And I appreciate the help

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Hi, can only give you my opinions on this from the limited knowledge and experience I have of using the FP3.

With regard to the FP3 tuning - If you buy one I honestly would not bother with the 'pre-set' calibrations that are available.

Speaking from my personal experience the FP3 seems to be geared towards the main brands that are on the market. Although I did opt for a main brand air filter - the screamin' eagle, I did not opt for one of the 'mainstream' slip-ons as I found them way too expensive for my needs so instead I opted for one which cost less than £100, a TCMT exhaust which sounds really good. Obviously the FP3 does not carry this map so I had to do an 'auto tune'. I thought this would be a bit of a farce but when I actually did it I found it to be a very easy thing to do and would recommend this option to everyone, mainly because (in my opinion) I really can't see how any two bikes can be exactly the same and in most case the tuning done by the programmers is done in a laboratory environment - auto tune does it in 'the real world'! My Street runs fantastic over all rpm ranges with the tuning that I have done.

With regard to raising the rpms. I have never done this and can't see the need for it - my opinion only. Why would you really want to do this? By raising the rpm's by 1,000 you will likely gain around 10mph at the top end - mine will do 118mph and I personally feel that is enough for a light bike like this. You could also be causing yourself issues with 'valve float' which could likely end up damaging the valves? Is that really worth it? Others may give you different advice but personally I would not mess there!

If you do opt for the FP3 there are other features that I personally find useful, i.e the tacho display can be left on, engine temperature, voltage and mpg displays I have found useful too. There are also a load of other features available that I rarely use. I have not used any other tuners and these options may also be available on them.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

;)

#3 ·
Thanks,

I plan on taking mine to the drag strip and would like to be able to rev to 9,000 without hitting the rev limiter and be able to dyno tune to 9,000 without hitting the rev limiter.

Did Vance and Hines ever get the rev limiter fixed ? Or does the fp3 still have to be set at 12,000 to get a 9,000 rev limiter?

#4 ·
I was not aware of any issues with it? It certainly has the option to raise the rev limit above 9,000 quite easily and if you only want to get to 9,000 you won't have to raise it much so it should be easy to do. I wish you luck with it but it's not something I would consider doing :(

#5 ·
I believe the street rod has very similar connecting rods and valve train to what the original xg750r factory flat track racers had. For sure different than the regular 750 street. According to the parts listing.

But there is a thread here on the street rod forum about the fp3 having issues with the rev limiter not working properly. Wasn't sure if those issues have been resolved?

#6 ·
Just received a email back from dyno jet and they said that a few tunes have been added to the power vision for the street rod so I might go the power vision route. And just do the TAB performance stage 1 kit. The stage 1 from them includes a pipe, K&N air filter and the power vision tuner for a total price of about $690

#8 ·
Thanks,

I have been emailing Dyno Jet back and forth, and they assured me the Ve tables are tunable up to 9,000 rpm and the rev limit is 9,250 and they can up that to 9,500 if I wanted. And numerous Harley tuning shops can email custom tuning from data logs to get the bike dialed in.

Now that Dyno Jet has can tunes for the Street Rod for what I want to do they are my top choice. Pretty much every race winning Harley has a Dyno Jet on it even though Vance and Hines tunes the factory race bikes

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.