2019 SR, in for warranty repair. - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 09-24-2019, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2019 SR, in for warranty repair.

Bought my Street Rod back in late July, and after it got about 200 miles on it, I noticed a rapid ticking. Doesn't sound like a rod knocking, but it doesn't sound like my 500 did, and it doesn't sound like my DR650 does. (The DR650 has a similar valvetrain, four valves with one cam) It kept getting louder, the oil change didn't help it, and at almost 1700 miles I decided that I needed to get it checked out.

Took it to the dealer last week, and had the tech listen to it - he confirmed it was NOT normal. They had it all day Friday, and all weekend. Called today, and apparently, they can't find where the noise is coming from, it's not the chains or valves. (It sounded too "fast" for valve noise) They have had to contact a tech at H-D to get more information.

So it looks like they could have made a dud. Has anyone else had engine problems out of their machine? If so, what was the process in getting it fixed, and how long did it take?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-26-2019, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Replying to my own post like the sad, sad man I am.

It appears they had some Day-1 tech on my bike who didn't know how to adjust valves. He also didn't know how to avoid running the bike into things, ran up against a fence in the parking lot and tore up my mirror and broke the clutch lever. They replaced the mirror, but put a clutch lever from a normal Street on the bike. I need fingers seven inches long to pull it back.

They've ordered a new lever, hopefully they'll have it soon. On the other hand, the bike sounds normal now, without any alarming and loud clattering noises.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-26-2019, 10:59 PM

Bummer! Hope it all works out for you.

post #4 of 4 Old Today, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
It's been a week, and no communication from the dealer about my clutch lever. And the clattering noise is coming back, so it's *not* fixed. And just to make matters worse, I rode it to work this week, and part of the seat fell off! The passenger seat is removable on the Street Rod, it fits on a little knob/post. That post is missing, as is the seat. It was present when I left the house, but gone when I got to work.

So, for the record, I've got a three month old bike with 1800 miles, with an engine clatter that can be heard at 50 mph, the wrong clutch lever, and parts are literally falling off of it. I don't know if the seat should be a warranty repair, but I feel like it should be - if the bumper just fell off a new car for no reason it would be a problem.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page