FP3 Maps for XG750A Street Rod - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 10-16-2019, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
FP3 Maps for XG750A Street Rod

I have read conflicting data in several forums on this topic. Some say there are no maps for XG750A Street Rod and some say there are.

So my question is does FP3 have maps for XG750A Street Rod and, if so, is there a map for high-flow intake and slip-on exhaust?

Specifically my bike has S&S Stealth intake and Rinehart muffler...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 10-16-2019, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Whether it has maps or not is imaterial in your case. The maps supplied will likely not cover your exact combination.

There are two options available for you:
1. Contact V&H directly and ask them if they have maps available for your set up or 2. (as I very much doubt they will have one) use the auto tune.

Personally I didn't even bother checking if there were maps available as I believe their maps would have been set up on a dyno run. In my opinion no two bikes are exactly the same and I would prefer my map to be set up in the 'real world' i.e. out on the road. So I used the auto tune facility and my bike runs and ticks over like a dream

As I say though, if you contact them they WILL get back to you.
Propnut and T-BoneSteve like this.

Botty
post #3 of 26 Old 10-17-2019, 01:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hello VortecCPI,

I looked in my FP3 and did not see maps for XG750A. There are maps for XG750. Like Botty said...I called V&H one time and they responded right away. I really dig my FP3. I am going to do the autotune as soon as the snow goes away.

Good luck!
Weshicatwelo!

post #4 of 26 Old 10-17-2019, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
From a Street Rod owner in this very forum:

"FP3 came today married it to the bike but now a bit stuck it has 4 maps for my bike available"

Why is there so much conflicting information on V&H Fuelpak FP3 and XG750A Street Rod?

https://www.hdstreetforums.com/forum/242674-post14.html
post #5 of 26 Old 10-17-2019, 02:33 PM

Garage
Well as I said previously I doubt your set up will be on there.

If you think of all the variants that are out there i.e. matching a particular exhaust to a particular air filter you would be very lucky if they happened to have your set up on. There must be at least several dozen (if not more) combinations.

This is not just a problem with the Street Rod - Look on any HD models forums and you will find threads that say the same - no match for the owners set up.
All that you will likely find is maps with high input air filters with V&H exhausts

This is why the majority of owners use auto tune.
Propnut likes this.

Botty
post #6 of 26 Old 10-17-2019, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
The difference between all the aftermarket intakes and exhausts is negligible as none are tuned. All the aftermarket mufflers are cat-back and NONE have any sort of tuning such as a reverse-cone megaphone system or a stepped-design system. The difference between S&S Stealth intake, VO2 intake, or any other aftermarket intake is also negligible as none uses long tuned intake runners. Zero tuning going on here...

My Honda CRF230F has a tuned reverse-cone megaphone exhaust system with stepped head pipe designed by Frank Nye at Engines Only. The result is leaner main due to stronger signal and reduced dilution of incoming charge. My Yamaha SRX600 has very long tuned intake runners that I fabricated after much R&D. Th result is stronger signal at the mains and slightly rich condition in midrange. The aftermarket stuff for XG750A Street Rod is NOTHING like what I have on these two bikes. If we had actual tuned intake runners we would have something like we see here in these dyno tests: http://www.phaedrus.me/id158.html

All I want to know is if there is a map for high-flow intake and aftermarket muffler - I could care less about the names used to describe either. V&H already told me via email the you can use the V&H muffler choice for ANY aftermarket muffler - "You will run the V&H slip on". V&H documentation clearly states ALL tune maps are for high-flow intake and ECM will trim trim as necessary:

"All FP3 maps are dyno tuned for high flow air intakes. If you have a stock intake, flash the map for your exhaust with high flow air intake – the ECU will trim the map automatically as you ride." < Does V&H imply open-loop, closed-loop, or both?

I am NOT on board with the so-called "Auto-Tune" feature anyhow. While the device may be able to tune for a very specific condition it will only be good at the ambient conditions at that time. If we run the so-called "Auto Tune" on a cold day at sea level and then ride a hot day up in the mountains what happens then? All the AFR map tables will be fine during closed-loop riding (they are not used) but may be far too rich during open-loop riding. Without closed-loop wide-band O2 sensors it is mediocre at best, which is why V&H DOES offer such a system as an add-on to FP3.

How many riders have run the so-called Auto-Tune in the winter and then run it again in the summer and got the exact same map results? My guess is nobody has done this as a test and, if they did, the maps are quite different. Every 5C/9F requires a 1% change in AFR and without closed-loop wide-band O2 sensors there is no way to make this happen. Of course the IAT sensor helps but I doubt it is enough to get it where it needs to be.

For example, my Twin Cam Road King was dyno tuned on a cool day at sea level here in CLT and when I rode up high in the mountains on a hot day it was so rich it started to misfire. Once I got back down to sea level it ran great again.

I have not seen even ONE dyno sheet for FP3 for different ambient conditions, with or without Auto-Tune. In fact, I have not seen even ONE dyno sheet for FP3 at all. All the real dyno tuners I have conversed with say it is junk and not to bother as it leaves far too much on the table. While I DO believe them I am NOT looking for optimal tune - Just something better than stock to ensure I am not too lean during WOT.

All I want is a map that is better than stock - I am not trying to win a Dyno War...

Last edited by VortecCPI; 10-17-2019 at 03:14 PM.
post #7 of 26 Old 10-17-2019, 02:53 PM

Garage
You seem to already have the answer to your original question then?

'V&H already told me via email the you can use the V&H muffler choice for ANY aftermarket muffler. V&H documentation clearly states ALL tune maps are for high-flow intake and ECM will trim trim as necessary.'
Propnut likes this.

Botty
post #8 of 26 Old 10-17-2019, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botty View Post
You seem to already have the answer to your original question then?

'V&H already told me via email the you can use the V&H muffler choice for ANY aftermarket muffler. V&H documentation clearly states ALL tune maps are for high-flow intake and ECM will trim trim as necessary.'
I do not as there is so much conflicting "data". According to one rider there is only one map for XG750A and according to another rider there are four maps for XG750A. Which one is right and which one is wrong? Are they both wrong? For example, according to email from Dynojet too many users confused XG750 and XG750A so XG750A maps were removed and are now only available on request. According to V&H XG750A maps were removed from demo mode for the same reason.

To your point, what are the other three maps for?

This "Plug-And-Play" stuff is anything but thus far. I reached to to V&H several days ago and have not had a response.

Surely some rider can provide a screen shot of maps for XG750A...

Last edited by VortecCPI; 10-17-2019 at 03:21 PM.
post #9 of 26 Old 10-17-2019, 03:22 PM

Garage
Ok, well if you can wait until tomorrow I will look at the FP3 maps that are available for the Rod and itemise them for you. My FP3 has updated today so I should be able to see all that are on there.

Botty
post #10 of 26 Old 10-17-2019, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botty View Post
Ok, well if you can wait until tomorrow I will look at the FP3 maps that are available for the Rod and itemise them for you. My FP3 has updated today so I should be able to see all that are on there.
Now THAT is exactly what I am looking for! That takes all the assumptions off the table.

If you can do that it would be GREATLY Appreciated!!!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page