Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I inquired about the cost of the 1000 mile service at our dealer.
they stated that "big v-twins 1000 mile service cost $379.

then she (asst service mgr?), goes on to say they change all fluids, motor, transmission, etc...I asked about all fluids?, then she stated, not the brake or anti freeze fluids, but that they also check it all over for loose bolts or anything that doesn't look right.

I was thinking but did not say, so why didn't they do that before they delivered it?...why did it only have 20 lbs of air in the tires, loose mirrors, half gallon of gas, loose seat bolt, loose front fender bolts and not washed? I paid $899 for assembly and $1000 extra for freight!...really, ? and now we gotta pay $379 for them to do what they should have done in the first place?...really?...

anyway, I then mentioned, "so on these models, then yall only change the motor oil, because there is no separate transmission". she looked confused then stated, well it's $379 and you must call for an apt if you want it done then walked off!.........ummm not!

this is exactly what I am talking about when I say, seems like Harley needs to educate their employees, around this dealer at least, as to the differences between these models and all other Harley models.

even the parts folks didn't even know the handlebar size was different. other than a part number they don't know what fits these models.

they don't know and apparently they don't care to know.

these pesky little bikes are taking up wasted space on our showroom, that's what I get from all of this! and you are bothering me with your questions, so move along, but leave your money with us!

it's all textbook propaganda, "things have always been and will always be the way it has been for nearly 100 yrs. ...ummm not!

I disagree! like it or not Harley has introduced these models and we deserve knowledgeable service and at fair prices, not to all be thrown into the same wash as the big v-twins.

service on a street model should not be the same price as a full dresser model.

seems to me to be fair to the street owners, Harley needs to update their service employee's knowledge and the adjust the cost for little v-twins service!

·
Registered
309 Posts
When I initially bought mine and was assigned to a specific tech., presumably for future contact. I asked him a couple of break-in questions and he told me to just use the tachometer per the Manual. I said; what tachometer? He said something about a button to press and the speedometer should become a tach....................?????????? Hey I can't make $#!t like that up!

·
Registered
367 Posts
That's your dealer, not Harley. You need to find a better dealer, even if it's a trek. I go about 40 miles because they're the best reputation service wise and I've not been let down. I've got three closer dealers that I've been to and each give me the "gold chainer" vibe so I don't ever go there again. BTW my service is $169.xx out the door. Still high, but I want that solid customer dealer relationship and zero headaches on any warranty issues.

·
Registered
367 Posts
When I initially bought mine and was assigned to a specific tech., presumably for future contact. I asked him a couple of break-in questions and he told me to just use the tachometer per the Manual. I said; what tachometer? He said something about a button to press and the speedometer should become a tach....................?????????? Hey I can't make $#!t like that up!
Because every other bike they make does it. They won't know everything about the bike off the bat unless they have been required to learn it by the dealer.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's your dealer, not Harley. You need to find a better dealer, even if it's a trek. I go about 40 miles because they're the best reputation service wise and I've not been let down. I've got three closer dealers that I've been to and each give me the "gold chainer" vibe so I don't ever go there again. BTW my service is $169.xx out the door. Still high, but I want that solid customer dealer relationship and zero headaches on any warranty issues.

I agree, but no other dealer with in a reasonable distance. the two closest ones are owned by the same guy. wow, great price for your service, I'd go for that if it was at that cost around here.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like the only decision I have is regular or synthetic 20w50...lol. What will you guys be running ?
I have always run synthetic oil ever since it came to the market years ago. and even tried different brands. however amsoil is one of my favorites, but it can be hard to get in our area.

once I did switch to full synthetic the engines seemed to run quite'r and smoother, plus the shifting seemed smoother too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The 1k service runs $200 with conventional fluids at ours, Synthetic will run you a bit more. Also the 1k service changes all the oils, checks the anti freeze level, belt adjustment, axle alignments.cable adjustments, switch functions, lights, exhaust and all fasteners checked. Prices should fall inline with sportster services except for the 15k, you need to check the valve lash at that time. If you look in the back of your owners manual it will list what is to be done at each service interval. Personally I switched to synthetic in my own.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
$200 sounds fairly reasonable IMO.

I plan to speak to the new GM at our dealer and see if they would consider offering the street models 1000 mile service for that price instead of paying nearly double that for the big v-twin service.

maybe the other dealers mentioned in this post that charge $200 or less has updated their service price because these are smaller bikes and it doesn't take as much time, material or effort to accomplish this service.

thanks for the input here, folks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
My 1k service was ~$250 USD in southeastern PA. The techs covered everything listed in the manual for the 1k service & also checked out some issues I had (lag & leap, flaky neutral & neutral indicator). Each time I interact with someone at the dealer about my bike, the person I'm talking to seems to know their stuff. It'd be wise for HD corporate to push that mindset on all the dealers; I've only had positive experiences with my dealer, and it'd be great if that could be nationwide/worldwide.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I totally agree, it does give me hope when I hear positive stories about other's dealers actually having knowledge about our models and actually do the work they are supposed to do, and all at a reasonable price. I just wished ours would get up to speed, and to stop the ignorance and greed.

I haven't named this/these dealers in our area, but sometimes I want to.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I had my 1k done a few weeks ago and it was $280. I normally do my own maintenance but with the Lag and Leap issue I don't want to risk voiding the warranty in anyway.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have three dealers within 20 miles of my house. One dealer wanted $150.00 to change the oil filter only in my V-Rod. It is only one drain plug and five quarts of the same oil. A drunken monkey can do it right? The next one wanted $98.00. The one that I have do my work when I’m in town is Latus Motors they charged me $38.95 for the same work as the ether two dealers where going to do. So shop around Guys and Girls. I’ve ridden 400 miles to save $200.00 or more on a big service. What the hey, that pays for my gas, food, and the motel and I got a nice ride out of it.

I always use H-D dino oil and with a H-D filter. I change it myself every 2,500 miles and have a dealer do it every 5,000 miles and just to make sure I keep the warranty up.

I should also add I always bring two dozen donuts for the service department when ever I have the dealer work on my bike. It can never hurt.

Just my .02cents.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Had my 1000 mile service done recently.
This included swapping out the std handle bars for the short reach bars under warranty, my std bars had a 1/4" twist from new.
The whole job took two hours and I was charged NZ$250.
Very happy with that.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Checked my local dealer today on the price of 1000 mile service, it was $315. Now I have already changed the oil and filter so they would knock off $40, so bottom line was $275. By the way the $315 price was the same as they charge for a Sportster.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Just a reminder that you don't have to get the service done at a Harley dealer and there are many highly qualified independent Harley service shops that provide service equal to or better than the Harley dealer and may also charge less than the local Harley-Davidson dealer. Personlly I've had excellent service and pricing at the Harley dealers I've used but if I thought that wasn't the case I'd quickly start checking out the independent shops.

·
Registered
451 Posts
This is how it works . So take it for what it is worth. If a dealer don't know you ,you are going to pay top dollar then some for everything. If they know you well over the years and want to keep you, all prices go down.
1000 mile service on any HD is suppose to be more than an oil change but $300 is a scam. You do not at least in the US have to have the dealer do it. Anyone tells you different they are full of it.
Shop labor is an over all cost of running the shop around here $125 an hour is posted, but regular customers pay more like $90. They know you , they know you are coming back.
Another myth you do not need to use standard oils for break in syn is fine. CVO's come with from the factory. Lot of myths out there don't get caught up in them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts