Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
i'd like to see Harley Davidson have a rep from the design dept hold a class for each dealer (either online or whatever) and inform all their employees as to what these models are and point out the differences between these and all other of their air cooled models they make.

this would be a start to getting everyone on the same page!
i'd also like to see something similar for the designers to listen to street owners as to the real world experience we have with these bikes!

IF they are really interested in improving safety and reliability issues they would do this in a serious manner. seems like we are the red headed step children that has to sit in the corner and keep quite!

success is greatly improved by word of mouth. failure is also achieved by the same thing!

·
Registered
309 Posts
@Rock270,

Ditto to all you say in the above comment. My bike has been in the shop for>2weeks now, waiting for a new fuel pump to come from HD. My dealership shop was so concerned about the safety issue of L&L, that they discovered in it, that they wouldn't let me take it. They are great but I'm really starting to wonder about the larger organization.

·
Registered
137 Posts
If your local dealer has sent any of their Techs to the Middleweight Power train Class ( this is an intensive 3 day class that focuses mainly on the Street) They must teardown and rebuild a motor amongst other things then you are most likely in good hands.
This costs the dealership about $3K per tech.Some are reluctant to spend this kind if $$$$ but most good dealers that have a good tech retention rate will invest in their employees training.
I remember when the Vrod came out and all the Old School Guys did not want to work on them as it was unfamiliar. Nowadays they embrace it as this is the future of HD(IN MY OPINION) The Street is the blank canvas of the future of HD. It WILL take off and we will see more made and more bought (yes there are some things they need to figure out)
Sorry about my long ramblings.
Shiny side up........

·
Registered
766 Posts
@Rock270,

Ditto to all you say in the above comment. My bike has been in the shop for>2weeks now, waiting for a new fuel pump to come from HD. My dealership shop was so concerned about the safety issue of L&L, that they discovered in it, that they wouldn't let me take it. They are great but I'm really starting to wonder about the larger organization.
yes sir, the larger organization really should listen and learn to the actual and potential customers, then educate all employees that has anything to do with these models, if they want these bikes to compete in the world market, not only here in the U.S. the safety issues are serious and if not attended to quickly and permanently, then these models and their investment, not to mention their stock prices will plummet , maybe to the point of disaster, especially as far as these street models are concerned.

·
Registered
309 Posts
As I've NOT read of the L&L problem voiced by those who ride the STREETS made in the India plant, does that problem exist with those machines? I would like to hear from anyone who can address this.

Thanks,

JMB

·
Registered
367 Posts
As I've NOT read of the L&L problem voiced by those who ride the STREETS made in the India plant, does that problem exist with those machines? I would like to hear from anyone who can address this.

Thanks,

JMB
I too have seemed to notice the sane thing, but I thought maybe I was focusing more on the forum and subsequently more of the American market. Any Aussies or Kiwis reported the lag and leap issue?

·
Registered
172 Posts
All of the services are in the computer for the street, they need to look at the warranty time tables and calculate their times from that, our dealership charges the same as a sportster too as it is not as intensive as the big twins, we all have to do phds as techs and those point out the differences., tdcmoto did your dealership send techs out to that class?, ours is very reluctant to send us out, why I dont know ,we only have 5 dealerships. ... maybe the top brass will retire and we will get someone who isnt afraid to spend money on techs .on a side note I have 1000 miles on the bike with my mod and it hasnt done it yet. So maybe my fix is good, I will run it 25 miles past low fuel next time and see what happens.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I agree with Rock ,my dealer one of the largest ,if not the largest, in NT TX two guys in the service dept were not aware of any recalls on the bike unbelievable ... first-had to look them up-second they want $355.00 for 1000K service ,and were actually not real sure what it involved-how bad is this ,I think I will do my own oil change and check the other areas as per the schedule -I have a service manual and it want be hard .
This in my opinion, is one thing, wrong with HD-their dealer network is all over the map -on what they charge people -and how well their employees are informed as to what is happening on a large scale about their products.
I remember going into HD dealers in the 60',70's-and even 80's the staff was much more informed and although it smelled like oil and did not look like a boutique-I had great experiences with them -even though my bikes keep breaking ,..ha
Oh well so much for my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I had a similar experience. When I was done with the Salesman I stopped in Service to ask. The lady didn't know what I was talking about. Then dug through a folder on her desk.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Last week took the bike in for the first service and they did the fuel pump recall at the same time. When it was ready I was surprised to hear that the first service and the second service costs were built into the original purchase price. So I guess I am one of the lucky ones, judging by the prices quoted higher up on this thread.

The only difference I have noted is the sound of the fuel pump when it primes before you start it up, it has a different tone. Other than that I am very happy with my Street.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I am approaching 1k now. Not sure if I want to spend the $240 or so. Not getting the Oil and Filter done. I do have a Speedometer that starts to shake at 60 Mph. Possibly a Wheel Balance??

I was originally planning on having the Dealer do the work. But just recently received a notification from my bank. As of Dec 16 they are DOUBLING the Minimum Amount in my checking account. And giving no Interest. Some crazy thing about 10 Debit Card purchases per month or DD of $500 per Fee Period to avoid the Fee ($10 Dec 16)

·
Registered
504 Posts
I am approaching 1k now. Not sure if I want to spend the $240 or so. Not getting the Oil and Filter done. I do have a Speedometer that starts to shake at 60 Mph. Possibly a Wheel Balance??

I was originally planning on having the Dealer do the work. But just recently received a notification from my bank. As of Dec 16 they are DOUBLING the Minimum Amount in my checking account. And giving no Interest. Some crazy thing about 10 Debit Card purchases per month or DD of $500 per Fee Period to avoid the Fee ($10 Dec 16)
I've noticed my speedo vibrates as well around 100 km/hr, or 60mph. That's when I shift into 6th, LOL. If you watch it will vibrate/quiver in each gear ............. use it as a "tach" and shift when it vibrates, lol

My bank also TRIED to increase my minimum balance too. Just complain. That's what I did, and then they actually rolled the minimum back $1,000. Works for me! Now I don't need to keep as much in the account to avoid fees. It's just their way of grabbing more income for the banks! Threaten to change banks .................;)

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
My Dealer did the work. No Oil Change. Cost me $147 with Tax. They Fixed a few things while they were in there.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Kind of reviving an old thread here. I just got a quote for $420 for this service. I'm close to 1k miles. I'm going to change the oil myself this weekend. I have rebuilt a 1990 Mercedes from ground up. I can do this job. I'd rather take it in and just have it done. So they can check that they did everything right in the first place. On a Benz there are some nuts and bolts that can back out. They use oblong self locking one use nuts for those areas. If you want to charge Benz prices give us a Benz build?

I'm taking it to a different dealer for a fuel pump recall. Now I will be able to run it with more than 80 miles on the tank. I'll update this thread with the quote I get.

Love that these bikes are made by fellow Americans. But how far does that really go for future purchasing decisions. I can get a Boulevard and I guarantee you the Japanese have heard of loctite and a torque wrench. Replace the Boulevard badge with a Harley badge and the chicks won't know the difference. Just saying

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just an update. I took it to a different dealer for the recall. They did the 1k service with no oil change (I had already done it) for 160. I should have called around first. I'd just have had them do the whole thing. I guess the moral of the story is not all these dealers are the same. Call around if one seems to be gouging.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Gonna be near 1,000k soon so trying to gauge prices in MIA.

Any local riders have this service done South recently?

Thanks

Best,

USVet

·
Registered
31 Posts
Transmission oil? Can we change it? I couldnt find any information or video or picture about it for street series..?

21 - 38 of 38 Posts