Harley Davidson Street Forums banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
I just got my bike and it shifts great 1st to second no problem, but sitting at a light I'm having problems getting into neutra, hopefully it breaks in and won't be an issue. Happy riding!
It will definitely improve with time. I had the same issue when the bike was brand new. Try popping it into Nuetral while you're still rolling to a stop, it is MUCH easier.

· Registered
6 Posts
I recently adjusted the clutch cable and found that it really helped in shifting a lot. I purchased the shop manual and did it myself. They may cover it under warranty at your dealership? Shifting is much better and also finding neutral is easier. The problem I have is my neutral light does not always come on. The dealership replaced the neutral switch but it did not help.

· Registered
1 Posts
I just rented an HD 500 Street over the weekend. The shifter on my bike was crap. It was almost impossible to find Neutral while stopped, or even in motion. It was a pain to hold in the clutch every time I stopped while the bike was running.

Actually, there was one sure fire way to find neutral -- try to shift into 2nd, and it hit Neutral (instead) about 70% of the time. After a while, I'd just expect it, and kick it up again into 2nd. This is not something I want to happen on the road with SUV behind me.

I had 8 hours on the bike to try to figure it out, but no matter what I tried -- kicking hard, being gentle, going up then down... nothing. That transmission has a mind of it's own.

The bike was pretty new -- so I don't think it was an age or abuse issue.

Now this is a $7K+ motorcycle that can't shift reliably into 2nd gear. Certainly made me think twice bout buying HD.

· Registered
176 Posts
I never knew any dealerships to rent out anything except big touring bikes. It could be handy to know where you were able to rent an xg500 from.

Finding neutral has been a bit of a problem for a lot of us. It got a lot easier after a few thousand miles on mine. Prior to that, missing the shift from first to second was the way I did it most of the time. I got around that by keeping upward pressure on the shifter until the clutch was release and haven't missed a shift in quite a while.

It's kind of hard to believe that a rental beginner bike would have clutch and shifter issues. I mean, isn't every new biker already an expert at standard transmissions and their use?

· Registered
4 Posts
I am having an issue with my Street 500 and was wondering if anyone else has the same problem.:(

When shifting from 1st into 2nd (sometimes) I hear and feel the click like the bike has gone into gear. When I roll on the throttle the bike ends up being in neutral. Sometimes the green N shows on the speedo sometimes not.

I am an experienced rider so I don't think it is me. I have made a point of really making sure that I am shifting clean and it still happens.

Anyone else?

Oh, and it seems to happen a bit more when the bike is warmed up.
Maybe you should send it to a repair shop for inspection

· Registered
17 Posts
Hi
Only one person has said they have had this fixed yet lots of people say they have the problem. Has any one other than Marian had this fixed?
Did the original post starter Falmegirl have this this fixed? I see them selling the bike so they sold it with a known gear box issue.

· Super Moderator
2016 Harley-Davidson Street 750 in Sunglo Velocity Red
939 Posts
You resurrected a zombie thread so that you could blast the OP as selling a bike with an issue when they haven't been logged in since 2016? Not cool.

For most of us the issues with finding or avoiding neutral seem to go away as the bike gets a few thousand miles on it without any attention from the shop.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts