Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see that there are several OLD posts about the very poor performing brakes on the 2015 750. I decided I need to upgrade at least the rear brake.
Some of the old posts refer to some caliper kits that I no longer can find and others about upgrading to 2016 components.
So, what is the current thoughts on getting some braking performance ?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Hello. I used to own a 15 XG750. Added Windshield, Bags, Luggage Rack and Sissy Bar. Had to stop quick. Kept rolling. At the time I did it, Could only get Pads. Used the EBC FA643V Front and Rear. Stopped better. Not like the 16 model. Did it at about 2k Miles. Bike is now on third owner and 13k Miles. Pads are still on it. And were about 1/2 thickness.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know they changed the master cylinder for 2016... did they change the caliper and disk ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was able to dig out manuals for 2015,2016 and 2017---- the 2016 & 17 both have the same parts and they are different than the '15

·
Registered
2 Posts
the big upset is the dot4 fluid sucks if you dont keep a check on it it can go bad not pulling your leg it should be change once a year in my opinion the fluid loses the ability compress the caliper do the fluid braking down this lets the fluid compress in its self rather then pushing the caliper piston out. I had read that dot4 pulls moister and goes bad over time but i really dont know how it pulls it from a closed master cylinder. point being it goes bad they do sell a tester for dot4 to check it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just changed the brake fluid in my xg500. I tested fluid with a tester and it showed red above 4%. I got new bottle of fluid at a bike shop. I get fluid changed front and back. I decided to test the new fluid after I got done. Smh..why I didnt do it beforehand idk...the new fluid tested above 4% moisture change immediately. Now considering redoing the job. What is shelf life of a plastic bottle of Dot4 brake fluid? Brand new tester and batteries. Don't believe there's an issue with tester.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Are you using the Bike Master Tester? I have one of those. Haven't tried it yet. What Fluid did you use? I have always used the Valvoline Synthetic Dot 4. And Never had any problems. Motorcycles Require DOT 4. DOT 5 is Silicon. And Can't be mixed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I used a generic Dot 4 fluid tester. The brake fluid brand I used is called Maxima Dot 4 for motorcycles, dirt bikes. I'm going to look into the tester you mentioned. ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts