Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Street 750
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I have kind of different one here.

I recently purchased a 2016 with only 62 miles on it. It obviously has not hit its break in period yet. It also has the original oil in it.

I have put about 150 Miles on the bike, but I'm figuring I better get the oil change done before I put any more miles on her.

Now I am hearing that oil in the crank case does not degrade and as long as I ride for 20 minutes or so the moisture will burn out of the oil. (I don't really know if I believe this or not) and that Oil should NEVER be changed before the 500 mile break in period.

My concern is that a 5 year old oil would do more damage than changing before the break in period is complete.

I look forward to peoples opinions on this one.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2017 Street Rod 750
55 Posts
Bought my 2017 Street Rod 750 with 312 miles on it about 6 months ago, and it also had the original oil in it. First thing I did was change the oil. Even though the oil has next to no miles on it, it was used and then sat for years. The oil put in when new is just regular old HD dino oil, not some special break in oil or anything. I went straight to Mobil 1 V-Twin Synthetic oil and have had no issues at all, I've put roughly 1300 miles on it since then.

When oil is used, fuel vapors and other contaminants from the air mix with the oil and cause the additives in the oil to begin degrading. That's why when you get the oil changed on your car/truck they say something like 3k miles or 3 months, whichever comes first.

I would suggest changing your oil sooner rather than later in your case. If you are that worried about it then just change it with conventional oil now then again at around 1000 miles. The majority of your break in is done within the first 100 miles, and don't be surprised to see glittery oil when you drain it (if you are doing the oil change yourself).

·
Super Moderator
2016 Harley-Davidson Street 750 in Sunglo Velocity Red
639 Posts
I would suggest changing your oil sooner rather than later in your case. If you are that worried about it then just change it with conventional oil now then again at around 1000 miles. The majority of your break in is done within the first 100 miles, and don't be surprised to see glittery oil when you drain it (if you are doing the oil change yourself).
^^^ I would do this. It's my personal belief that you can't harm anything by changing engine oil too often. The oil itself doesn't really break down, but the additive package does. Also some of the contaminants picked up in the little used oil don't improve with age.

As @Sarge2481 says, go ahead and change it now. Treat it as if you are just putting in the factory original oil now and continue as if you are breaking in a brand new bike. Do the normal new bike services at 1K and 5K miles instead of jumping right into the every 5K maintenance with this oil change.

During break in, the engine oil is flushing metal flakes and other residue from the manufacturing process out of every internal crack and crevice, thus the glittery oil. Normally you want to give it some time for that flushing to occur, thus the advice not to change oil in the first 500 miles. Leaving the bike sit for years with minimal, infrequent use is not the normal case.

After break in, your engine is decomposing into glitter is a sign of a serious problem that needs looking into.

You are only going to run this oil for 800+ miles, so I would use the cheapest 20w50 oil I could get. If I was on track to hit 5K miles this year I would probably use the cheap oil for the 1K oil change as well, just because I would still be upset at the expense of two oil changes so close together.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts