Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you are only comfortable going up to an 883. I'd keep your 750 awhile longer. I would trade until you are comfortable jumping up to a big twin of some kind.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually I already sold my 750. So wanted to look for something. Iron 883 fits my budget. Should I wait for some time & then go for 48 instead?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Hi,

I have 2015 Street 750. Will it be a good idea to replace it with the new 2016 Iron 883?

I'd replace it with another street 750.....:D

about the only thing I could think of between a street 750 and the 883 that I'd like is the 883 is an air cooled engine that has the classic Harley v twin air cooled engine sound.

but, I hear the 883 is slower than the 750 though.

if weight isn't a concern you might could find a used larger bike that you might like such as 1200 sportster, street bob or a vrod >:D

good luck on your quest..

·
Registered
203 Posts
the street 750 is faster over the 1/4 mile than a std 883, the iron is top heavy compared to the street. the tank is smaller.
The iron has a lot more aftermarket support. the iron can and do look tough.
I do love the look of the iron's though and may consider one, IF, it had the 1200 conversion.
Otherwise, i'd only consider upgrading to a 48 or a Vrod/NightRod, personally

·
Registered
23 Posts
Why did the original poster sell his Street? It seems like kind of a sideways move. But, there's no law that one has to buy ever bigger and bigger motorcycles. Nothing wrong with an 883. I rode a 2006 XL883 for a few years, and the bike did just fine. I never rode two up, so if that's your goal, maybe the 1200 would be a better choice. The problem with all of the current lineup of Sportsters is that they are all lowered, causing insufficient cornering clearance (for me anyway), and will scrape hard parts if you lean them very far. Now, if one just wants to putt around, maybe you'll never scrape. However, being able to push a bike in the twisty roads is a large part of the riding enjoyment to me.

I worked with a young guy that has a Nightster. One day he pulled in behind me on the way to work. The road was a great country road with lots of corners going by farms, woods, river etc. When we got to work, he said that he couldn't believe how far I was leaning my standard model 883, as his Nightster could not do it due to the shortened suspension.

Don't know about a Street model, but you best do a few test rides on the new Sportsters before you buy.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I Sold the street for Below reasons,

1. I'm 5'11" & it looks very small when I ride (my mistake. I could not test ride it before I ordered since it was just launched)
2. The Sewing machine sound, I tried several exhausts but it never sounded like a Harley.
3. The Seat height is too low, It becomes very difficult in the traffic to lift the leg from Ground & put it on the footrest and vice versa.
4. Braking does not give confidence
5. Seating for two is not adequate & with my height it's very crampy for two to accommodate
6. Aftermarket options are very limited even after 1.5 yrs
7. It was just over a year & found that it's already started rusting in couple of areas

I'm not criticizing, Street 750 is a very mean & powerful machine but it does not seems to be my cup of tea...

I Love 48 & Like Iron. I'm confused since a long time :) . I do not ride very often, mostly city cruising & may sometimes ride on highways over the weekend so I was thinking for Iron but considering 1200 i'm also tending towards 48.

Still Confused!!!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I test rode the 2015 Iron 883 last year. It's definitely slower than Street 750; considering the fact that there will always be a difference between a Push-Rod & Head-Cam. But except the throttle response there are few other factors which I felt are better than street. The Stability of the Iron 883 on High speeds, Presence on the road, Ride height, Confidence while braking, build quality are some of the factors which stand high as compared to Street 750.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm not to much into speed reason I bought a cruiser, even though I've riden and seen some Harley that can haul man. I just recently got the new 16' iron 883, I'm a 5' 11" guy and the bike is comfortable and I feel confident with the brakes. I just really enjoy the new bike and no worries deal but don't get me wrong if you what to look for in a used bike you'll be good as well. Everybody has personal presence. If you have any question about the bike, I'd be more than happy to answer them.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Finally with lot of thinking, reading the reviews & experiences and test riding a couple of times I have booked the 2016 HD Forty-Eight.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
With All your Suggestions & Opinions I changed my mind again & Finally booked the Dyna "Street Bob". Just few reasons why I cancelled Forty Eight & Finalized Street Bob.

1. Price difference between Forty Eight & Street Bob was not much.
2. Fuel Capacity
3. ABS
4. Security System
5. It looks huge & is huge
6. Sitting position & Comfort is far better
7. More powerfull
8. Dealer gave me an irresistible offer to replace the rear shocks with Fat Bob's.

With all these additional features with a very small price difference, I found it to be a very "Value for the Money" package for the street bob.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts