Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Street Rod 750
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I'm a new, proud owner of 2017 Street Rod (XG750A). The bike had just under 1700 miles on it when I purchased it, and while only owning it a couple of weeks, I've noticed a rear brake howl in addition to a squeak in the front brake.

I have an appointment at my local dealer next week, but has anyone else had this experience? I found this video on Youtube, but not sure I'm willing to go down this path...

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Tony

·
Administrator "Loose Nut"
231 Posts
Nice resolution to the issue. Quick question, had you tried brake anti squeal on the pads? Similar noises are caused by pad oscillating on rotor. The sound is amplified by the bracket oscillating also. If you stop the noise from the source, it might work. Here's a picture of anti squeal I put on my bikes pads. I do this everytime I do brakes to eliminate any noise.

·
Registered
2017 Street Rod 750
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. I haven't but will look into!

·
Registered
2017 Street Rod 750
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey all, thanks again for the responses. I ended up taking the bike into my local dealer (Sun Harley in Denver, CO) and they advised me that HD has recalled the XG750A and they're replacing both front and rear calipers.

FYI - for anyone else having a similar issue...

Thanks again!

Tony

·
Super Moderator
458 Posts
... they advised me that HD has recalled the XG750A and they're replacing both front and rear calipers.
Yea, there was a recall issued in 2019 about cylinder wall in the calipers possibly corroding and causing the brakes to hang up during application or release. That might be causing your rear brake to drag, which could be causing noise.

It took forever to get the replacement parts out to the dealerships, so Street and Street Rod sales were halted globally during prime motorcycle selling season in North America and Europe.

When buying any vehicle it doesn't hurt to take it past a dealership, or at least take in the VIN, and check for any recalls on the vehicle that haven't been completed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts