Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far not so good with my new Street 750. At 150 miles I reported an oil leak, it was cleaned up and returned to me. At 200 the leak was pretty bad so it went in for 2 weeks while they replaced the rear timing chain tensioner, as well as resealing the water pump as it was leaking as well. They had to reset the timing so new valve cover gasket, fresh oil, filter and also adjusted the clutch again to address why it wasn't shifting into first very easily. So I got it back last week before the storm hit on Thursday. We finally a small break in the weather Monday, to at least top the tank off with some hot mix to stabilize the fuel for the winter, , so all I did was 12 miles to the ethanol free station and back.

Yesterday the sun pops out and we get a decent chilly, but rideable day so I hop on, and run north to pick up a few things for my daily. I decided to take the scenic way home down thru the twistes to put a few more miles on. I rode maybe 75 miles or a bit more. When I got home I get off, shed my cold weather gear and go back to push the bike inside, and I noticed the entire area is soaked in oil again. I pull the upper side cover off, and again my coolant level is slowly dropping. I didn't remove the belt cover this time, I just hopped on and rode it directly back to the dealer.

I forgot they are on winter hours in service, W-S, now but at least I was able to drop it off. I chatted with the salesman I got the bike from and he's not too happy as well and helped me get the bike checked in and made sure it would be on the lift today, because he agrees it's BS and they have never had a 750 with this issue.

As before I was thinking the head gasket was leaking. But the tech sprayed down the area with a white powder and said it was only the tensioner. This time it's fairly obvious that it's the head gasket. Sadly nothing's in stock as before and it will be 7-10 days as they only work Wed-Sat during the winter, for parts.

Only 314 miles on my new 750 and it's spent more time in their shop as it has mine in the last month I've owned it. I even had a difficult time sleeping as now I am hoping the rest of the bike is sound. I am almost to the point of asking of they just can't buy it back or trade for an 883 they have. Something is bugging me that I don't want a problem child. I just want a bike to ride and enjoy, as sadly my riding days are slowly coming to an end in a few years.

·
Super Moderator
358 Posts
Ouch! You might want to start looking into whether your state has a lemon law that extends to motorcycles.

You may be able to escalate this problem within the dealership. I'm thinking that you may be able to go to the sales manager and make the case that they have sold you a motorcycle that can't be ridden and it has cost you a certain amount of money, time and frustration. Put the onus on them to come up with a solution if the service department can't fix the bike this time.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Mine was in the shop twice, Within 1800 Miles for an Oil Leak. Coming from the Rear Cylinder Cover. Dripping on the Belt Guard both times. When they did the Cover Gasket, Harley requires the Hardware to be replaced as well.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I escalated it with the owner. I wasn't too happy when I was told today that no one can look at it till the first as pretty much everyone was out training. So he lit a fire under in the Service dept and it's been cleaned up again and ridden again tomorrow to diagnose the leak. Even the one knowledgeable person that was there thinks it's the head gasket. I even discussed a possible buyback or trade to an 18 when they get one in. Will see, I guess. I have heard ugly things about the lemon law here in my state.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was called today, and was given an update. They took it out for 15 miles and came back no leak. So they let it sit overnight to heat cycle and took it out again, another 15 miles and it's leaking from the output shaft behind the front pulley. And somehow it's making its way clear up up the area of the tensioner again. While my gut says it's not the other leak I'll give them the time to repair this seal as well. Talking with the Owner I mentioned just walking away at this point of it doesn't cure the leaks. I really hope the rest of the bike is sound. We chatted for a bit, discussed a trade to an 18 when one comes in and I brought up for the same price they have a nice used 07 Superglide on the floor for the same price. So will see if the leak is actually cured. And no matter the weather when I get it back I'll be putting 100 miles on it to make darn sure it's not weeping from the base gasket. And they feel it's not leaking coolant as they can't seem to find a coolant leak even though my tank dropped another 3/4".. dang dealer has just about put more miles on my bike diagnosing this issue than I've been able to ride it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Dang dude, I hope they get it sorted out. I am a firm believer in breaking in a motor the way you intend to run it. That frame of mind has never let me down. I do this to also bring light to any issues like what you are having early on.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think if you are nice to the ppl at the dealer, you will be OK.

I would ask about a "win win" situation where you trade it in & get a SCREAMING deal on something else, and they get to get rid of a bike that is hard to sell.

I did this with a 2015 HD, when they got the 2018's in, just to get a 2017 off his floor plan.

they will make DEALS if you are nice to them. just ask THEM to figure out a deal you can live with, payment wise & all else.

a Sportster is NOT the answer, a Street 750 is a better bike than a Sportie, in most ways.
a used Big Twin would be NICE, but take a close look at the value they put on it.

if it is Winter there, they may be encouraged to flip a bike to you cheaply.

pray about it. prayer changes things.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Still sitting at the dealer waiting on parts. The one tech came back from training and is pretty sure it's leaking where we both think it is. There is no way oil from the output shaft is making it up to the rear cylinder. They are hardly getting the bike warmed up before diagnosing. I'm beyond upset at this point. As once it's fixed I'll have to ride it another 50-70 miles to know it's most likely still leaking. Also at this point the dealer has put more miles on my bike than I have.

Purchased with 66 miles on it. First appt was at 145 miles, cleaned up, tested returned with 165 miles. Returned again with 233 miles still leaking badly. Repairs made returned with 255 miles. Ride bike to 314 miles still leaking. Now it has 350 miles on it from diagnosing.

They didn't like it when I said I just wanted to walk at this point. Buy me out, trade me out, I'm just not comfortable at this point. Well I got was a well let's try fixing it first. Well guys you have had it a month now. No parts in stock, parts backordered no clue when they will arrive, and now I've missed 3 decent riding days, and I couldn't even be given a demo to ride?

I'm to the point now where I want to trade it for a 07 super glide on the floor, with new tires and stock exhaust put back on. They are "considering" it but that was last week. It's either that or buy it out or give me a screaming deal on the last 17 street rod they have in the corner.

So right now I'm looking at late next week or the week of Thanksgiving to get it back.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Mine was in the shop Twice for the Rear Cylinder Cover leaking onto the Belt Guard. I see HD still has the same problem. Not getting parts to the dealer. As they always seem to be B/O.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update today. All parts are in. No one to work on it till late next week. They are trying to convince Harley to just replace the head gasket and be done with it. Both the service tech, the sales manager and I all know it's leaking. But since the powder spray isn't showing a leak they are not wanting to cover it. I explained it won't show up till the bike is fully hot and ridden 50 miles or so.

On the flip we did discuss a trade, and I rode the Super glide they had to a big nope. If they put it back to stick maybe. Awful aftermarket bars, crazy aftermarket forward controls and the python exhaust was deafening. The Kuryakyn Hypercharger didn't even work. So right now they have a possible Dyna Wide Glide they want me to look at this weekend. It's a 103ci, all.stock but has 18k miles for an 09. So the only other trade is for a Street Rod, but they want another $1k on top of what I already owe so no deal. So it's just wait and see if they can't just fix it.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Good Luck. Personally I am done with my 750. Not worth enough to Trade. I may just run it into the ground. I'm at the point, Maintenance items only. I do have my eye on the New Low Rider 107. But it is currently out of my budget. Having been out of work with no income for almost weeks, Have nothing in the bank. Maybe next year?? But doubtful.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I got the call today that the bike is done and all they did was replace the shaft seal. Head gasket was not changed. They apparently rode the bike on the freeway and around town to heat cycle it to the conclusion it's no longer leaking.

So we will see. The original tech, as well as the sales manager, and I all know that it's weeping at the base of the head but they cannot duplicate it and is still adamant that it was being slung from the shaft even though the pulley and belt and covers all remain dry.

So the plan since it's supposed to be nice tomorrow is I'll get up hit my swim class at the Y in the morning. Swing by the dealer and leave my Tiguan at the dealer and run my errands to the island on the bike, that should be about 70 miles round trip. So if it is still leaking I can just bring it back and be done with it. My gut tells me it will be still leaking.

My only beef is now the dealer has put 150-175 miles on their own on my bike. So the dealer said they'd do my next service free for me but I declined saying I'll just take the oil and filter and don't myself.

So fingers crossed my gut is wrong. But I don't think it is.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got it home today. Rode about 50 miles in 45 degrees to see if it would leak. So far so good. Took one corner and felt like the back washed out from under me so I wanted to check over the bike once it cooled off. Found the seat wasn't even secured tab wasn't under the tank, and the rear screw was barely tight. Put the bike on the lift to clean up the mud and residual powder spray and checked my oil, was barely touching the add mark. That call went well back to the dealer. So hopefully it will be nice again this weekend and I can put another 50-60 miles on it because my guts telling me it's gonna still leak.

·
Super Moderator
358 Posts
Good Luck. Personally I am done with my 750. Not worth enough to Trade. I may just run it into the ground. I'm at the point, Maintenance items only.
You've been one of the prolific posters here, and your advice has certainly helped many of us. You've had more miles on these bikes than most of us backed up by yeas of experience on other bikes. Considering the problems you have had with the XG I have to wonder if that doesn't foreshadow suffering for many of the rest of us a year or two down the road.
So hopefully it will be nice again this weekend and I can put another 50-60 miles on it because my guts telling me it's gonna still leak.
I'm guessing it's going to be a lot more miles than that before you your mind is made up that it isn't going to leak. After what you have been through, I'd be suspicious for a long time to come.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
As far as Total Mileage on all 4 of the motorcycles I have(d) owned, 34k Miles Total roughly.

Part of my problem may be the fact that mine is an Early Production model. Nov 2014. 16 model year they started making changes. Brake Upgrade, New levers. Rerouted some of the harnesses. Coolant light. Etc.

I'm hoping tomorrow I can get garage. See if the Squeak returns. If so, Calling Ocean Harley again. And they can send their driver to pick it up. As I was already billed for 1/2 Hour labor for No Problem Found.

At least I have a job now. Not making much. Working at Sears. In the Auto Center. As an Express Tech. Which I feel I am wasting my time some days. I have worked at Dealerships. And have done more than just Oil, Tires and Batteries. And some other small work. Time will tell when USS Sears ship sinks.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Keep track/record of how many times it goes in for the same problem. Third time file with the National Transportation Safety Board. Most states have Lemon Laws. File for relieve under this law. HD will make dealer take it back. Don't keep bike. I did and have regretted it since.

We had the fuel pump and alternator/ignition shaft key problem when these came out. Once 4th time in shop HD has to take it back. If enough people file with NTSB they issue a recall. Don't keep bike as recall follows VIN and it will be a known lemon. HD will not give you fair market even on trade in.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
That's not Entirely True in all states. As some consider a Motorcycle a "Recreational Vehicle". And not a Main means of Transportation like an Automobile.

Weather has been BAD here in NJ. Haven't ridden in 2 weeks or so. Today parts of the state received 12+ Snow and 50+ MPH winds. Now the Sub Zero fun begins.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the good info. The saga continues and I did talk with the Owner and Sales manager back in December about the BS I'm dealing with. Sadly how they have written it up as 4 different leaks it doesn't qualify as a lemon. But they are working with me. Early January I plugged it into my battery tender a HD one and man it stayed yellow for hours and took about 10 hours to top off. Well maybe I have a battery drain. So I noted it and moves on. January hit me hard and I was in the hospital and one visit my Dad said again it took a good 6 hours to top off. I have the stand on a coaster to prevent concrete drain of the battery. So early February they had a nice 2006 883 Sporty in for a **** good deal and the bike only had 700 miles on it so I tried to trade away from the bike. Well they only offered me 4000 trade for my 750 with 476 miles on it only because the 883 was 3999, so I looked at a 2009 Dyna with the 96ci for about what I paid for the 750 and only offered 5500 trade. On the basis we just won't sell your bike. They still have the Rod 750 on the floor since last summer. So we continued to discuss my Bike and was told I'll be taken care of.

Last week the Tall Boy Seat I had ordered last fall finally decided to show up and the deal I was supposed to get didn't get added in so they will put it toward my 1000 mile oil change which I'll be doing myself.

So we had a break in the weather today even it being 36 out I wanted to just run the quick loop to see how much better the tall boy seat made as it did move me up and back quite a bit to the point I'll have to play with my mirror extensions. Pushed the bike out to warm it up.. Click dead bike.

So I went back to the dealer and they will warranty the battery under HDs 2 year warranty on bike installed batteries. What a pain in the arse removal is. Since you have to remove the seat, and the side covers and actually take the ground loose from the frame to get the battery to slide out far enough to remove it from the battery, the frame but was finger tight. So I checked a few others. Battery posts were only snug not tight. The output of the starter solenoid was not. Even remotely tight. So I continued. The side cover over the belt when they put it back on they had the spacers and washers on wrong so it pinched my coolant hose badly. So while the battery was out I'm pulling torque specs and checking every but and bolt I can before this bike leave my garage again. Was told to bring it in and they would do it but I'm done with their incompetent techs. Sent me home with half the bike flopping around and my seat loose.

To make matters even worse once they fixed the output shaft seal leak they didn't even remotely bother to clean up the mess under the covers so I cannot even tell of what I am seeing is new or my original leak.

I'm just livid in some ways. This ship used to be the best around. I know they have one too notch tech there and he was supposed to be the one that did the work. But now I hear he did the work and a new guy was supposed to wrap it up. But he must of just dropped everything on and said I'm done. They do have a policy in place now after my incident and apparently a few others that the manager had to physically check each bike before it leaves now. But I still don't trust them very well. It's going to take a while to earn my trust again.

To make matters worse tonight I asked how much do you do to the bike to make it ready for the floor. And he kinda just said adjust bars, top off fluids and test ride. And maybe he has a point saying that maybe it was the factory who missed some of this stuff. Who knows at this point but I'll make it right. I'll get it cleaned up and to my liking.

Like I said I got the tall boy seat in it now, and ordered the National Cycle N25011windshield 17"

http://www.nationalcycle.com/n25011.html

For it as I didn't like the one that just mounted to the bars even though I could retain the cafe shield over the headlight. It just rattled around too much. Got a set of cheap toss over saddle bags from a discount cycle ship I just have to buy or build a set of panniers for it.

I just want the bike to be right at this point. For what I really need it's perfect. Commuting 40 miles to the gym 3 days a week and the occasional long distance (200 miles is long distance anymore)

But right now my gut is really saying I should of went with the Bolt, but it they are only gonna give me 5500 for it I'm going to be stuck with it for a while.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I have had Strange Issues with my Battery. 3 different Charger/Tenders randomly "Abort Charge, Bad Battery". Every time I Tested it, Battery has passed. Usually saying it need to be Charged. Tried both style Testers. The ones used at Auto Parts stores. And a handheld 125A Load Tester. I put the battery back in my bike. As I am working on trading for a Custom 1200.

Its easier to remove the 2, 4mm Allen Screws and move the Coolant Bottle out of the way.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts