Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why did my back brakes completely disappear? Is something unlatched? I hit the pedal, and there is nothing. I just have my front brakes. It looks like someone was screwing with it by the motor. Any idea on how much this is going to cost me to get fixed, if it's not something simple?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Your description is hard to understand.

1: Check the Thickness of the Rear Pads. May need to be replaced??

2: Check the Rear Master Cylinder Fluid level. Uses DOT 4.

3: There is an Adjustable rod linking the Pedal to the Master Cylinder.

When I upgraded my rear pads, I somehow got air in the line. And had to bleed the brakes.

A few Members had the Master Cylinder fail.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
update

i haven't looked, because I don't even know where to look for the brake pads on a motorcycle versus a bicycle. i did hear a goose calling noise on occasion. also, should i add brake fluid in my 2 little boxes to help the matter?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I'm not sure about mine. Since I got it back from the Dealer, Pedal seems to travel pretty far. Checked the {ads, About 1/2. Fluid level was ok. Went to Bleed them, Used a Clear tube. Pushed the pedal with my hand. Opened the Bleeder. The Pedal didn't go any lower. Thinking the Master Cylinder went bad. Didn't see any Bubbles in the tube.

You can see the Brake Pads by kneeling at the rear wheel. Looking towards the disc.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
okay

i'll start with the inspection. i looked at my brake fluid box i'm assuming. i don't notice any liquid at the top front one, so maybe it's empty. i'll try and call harley here.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
If you look at your Brake Pedal. And follow it towards the Rear. You'll se a 2nd Brake Reservoir. Has 2 Philips Screws holding the cover on. To check the fluid, You need the bike Upright. And Do NOT push the pedal. Make sure its clean before removing the cover.

My rear brakes are hard to see because of the Saddle Bags.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
pic

Here is a pic of my back brake pad. I've been trying to upload this forever. I think it might be broken at the pedal. I could have sworn that I just had the brake pads replaced.

A mechanic asked me if my back brakes were locked or something once. I didn't know what to say.

Do those brake pads look okay to you?

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I'm going to take it by this mechanics next weekend. I'll call Harley. Check when I had the work done and see if it's covered under warranty. It's like it never worked after I had the work done.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I took my bike to an independent mechanic. He had to bend the muffler off my engine. I think when I laid it down once that it made a somewhat bad situation much worse. I'm waiting on a new screw to replace a stripped one, and he's going to change the brake fluid. It's nice to have back brakes again. I have to push way down, but they are coming back.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts